British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Republic of Ireland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/)
-   -   188 Euro per week Job Seekers Allowance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/republic-ireland-88/188-euro-per-week-job-seekers-allowance-741941/)

Joe-Soap Dec 14th 2011 8:45 pm

188 Euro per week Job Seekers Allowance

The rate for Irish Job Seekers Allowance is 188 Euro per week.
I will be collecting my first payment at the Post Office next week.
After 2 years living off my savings, it will be nice to get some social welfare assistance from the state.
The way the Irish economy is, it may take some time for me to get a job.
I think the Irish rate of 188 Euro per week is quite good considering in the UK its only £67.30 (80 Euro per week). So you are 108 Euro per week better off in Ireland.
There appears to be mass emigration to Canada and Australia at the moment, as Irish Graduates search for work. Its like the brain drain that Ireland experienced in the 1980's recession. Now you are seeing the remaining Graduates applying for minimum wage jobs.
I have a 1.1 BA (Hons) and a Masters Degree and I can't get work after 2 years of applying for jobs. Its a sign of the times I suppose.
My advice to anyone considering emigrating to Ireland is to think very carefully, and do your research thoroughly about the employment prospects in your field before. Also make sure you have enough savings to support yourself in the event of you not being able to secure a job.
It took me 2 years of living in Ireland to satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition, so that I was eligible to claim state benefits.
Many of the the Irish Graduates that are returning from Canada and Australia are returning now and failing the Habitual Residence Condition; so they are denied any state benefits.

sickntired Dec 17th 2011 8:52 am

Re: 188 Euro per week Job Seekers Allowance

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis (Post 9788880)
After 2 years living off my savings, it will be nice to get some social welfare assistance from the state.
I think the Irish rate of 188 Euro per week is quite good considering in the UK its only £67.30 (80 Euro per week). So you are 108 Euro per week better off in Ireland.
There appears to be mass emigration to Canada and Australia at the moment, as Irish Graduates search for work. Its like the brain drain that Ireland experienced in the 1980's recession. Now you are seeing the remaining Graduates applying for minimum wage jobs.
I have a 1.1 BA (Hons) and a Masters Degree and I can't get work after 2 years of applying for jobs. Its a sign of the times I suppose.
My advice to anyone considering emigrating to Ireland is to think very carefully, and do your research thoroughly about the employment prospects in your field before. Also make sure you have enough savings to support yourself in the event of you not being able to secure a job.
It took me 2 years of living in Ireland to satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition, so that I was eligible to claim state benefits.
Many of the the Irish Graduates that are returning from Canada and Australia are returning now and failing the Habitual Residence Condition; so they are denied any state benefits.

I'm glad to see your education has not been wasted.

materialcontroller Dec 17th 2011 2:04 pm

On the face of it this seems like a much better deal. But people claiming JobSeekers Allowance in the UK are also usually entitled to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, and these can bump up the total weekly amount of benefit quite considerably. Does the €188 payment in Ireland include help with housing costs or are there other additional benefits available for that as in the UK?

Cuthbert Rizla Dec 17th 2011 9:23 pm

This is more nonsense of course.
Hundreds of thousands of people have left Ireland since the recession began in search of work elsewhere and the drain of young,talented people continues every week.
Who are these graduates returning from Canada and Australia; why would they return now and what evidence do you have to back up this crackpot theory of yours ?
And one final question - what subject are your degrees in ?

Joe-Soap Dec 18th 2011 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla (Post 9794289)
This is more nonsense of course.
Hundreds of thousands of people have left Ireland since the recession began in search of work elsewhere and the drain of young,talented people continues every week.
Who are these graduates returning from Canada and Australia; why would they return now and what evidence do you have to back up this crackpot theory of yours ?
And one final question - what subject are your degrees in ?

Click on the link below for evidence:
http://www.migrantproject.ie/returni...reland.htm#HRC)
The graduates are Irish citizens that left Ireland after the Celtic Tiger boom from 2007 onwards. Many have worked in Canada or Australia; and are now returning to Ireland for a multitude of reasons. Either they can't get work, or miss their families. Its not a crack pot theory, its fact. 3500 returning Irish have been refused social welfare so far due to the Habitual Residence Condition.
I have a 1.1 BA (Hons) Economics, and an MA Masters Degree in Business Management.

Joe-Soap Dec 18th 2011 3:28 am

Originally Posted by materialcontroller (Post 9793956)
On the face of it this seems like a much better deal. But people claiming JobSeekers Allowance in the UK are also usually entitled to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, and these can bump up the total weekly amount of benefit quite considerably. Does the €188 payment in Ireland include help with housing costs or are there other additional benefits available for that as in the UK?

After 6 months living in rented accommodation one can claim Rent Allowance (Housing Benefit). The Rent Allowance amounts are set by the local Councils, depending on the average rent prices in the local area.
For example, in Dundalk the Rent Allowance limit for a single occupant is 468 Euro per month. So if your rent is under that it gets paid by your local Community Welfare Office. Rent Allowance is paid in addition to Job Seekers Benefit, and Job Seekers Allowance respectively.
We don't have Council Tax in Ireland, therefore we don't need Council Tax Benefit.

nolanger Dec 20th 2011 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Cuthbert Rizla (Post 9794289)

Most graduates are on a 2-year visa to Australia.

honeybunny2011 Dec 28th 2011 1:18 am

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis (Post 9794622)
Click on the link below for evidence:
http://www.migrantproject.ie/returni...reland.htm#HRC)
The graduates are Irish citizens that left Ireland after the Celtic Tiger boom from 2007 onwards. Many have worked in Canada or Australia; and are now returning to Ireland for a multitude of reasons. Either they can't get work, or miss their families. Its not a crack pot theory, its fact. 3500 returning Irish have been refused social welfare so far due to the Habitual Residence Condition.
I have a 1.1 BA (Hons) Economics, and an MA Masters Degree in Business Management.

I have never heard of this, (unable to open it up to read about it) I would love to return to Ireland but in this climate it doesnt seem like its possible. Things just seem to be getting worse.:frown:

Joe-Soap Dec 28th 2011 8:49 am

Originally Posted by honeybunny2011 (Post 9808188)
I have never heard of this, (unable to open it up to read about it) I would love to return to Ireland but in this climate it doesnt seem like its possible. Things just seem to be getting worse.:frown:

More information on the Habitual Residence Condition here:
http://www.welfare.ie/en/operational...es/habres.aspx
I moved from London to Ireland 2 years ago, and there has been a mass increase in emigration in that time. 70,000 people emigrated in the year 2010-2011. There are 300 Irish applying for National Insurance numbers every week in the UK now. I would say that if you are going to come, be prepared to be unemployed for a lengthy time; and able to support yourself from savings in the event of you being refused social welfare.
I was fortunate that I had sufficient means to support myself for the last 2 years, as I was not eligible to claim social welfare. I am now in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance, which means my savings are no longer being depleted.
I am just biding my time until the economy improves and employment prospects increase. Realistically I think this will take another 2-5 years to happen though. The Irish economy usually goes in 10 year cycles of boom and bust. You have a decade of each; so I figure the Celtic Tiger boom ended 2007, and therefore by 2017 things will be back to economic boom again.

sickntired Dec 28th 2011 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis (Post 9808575)
I moved from London to Ireland 2 years ago, and there has been a mass increase in emigration in that time. 70,000 people emigrated in the year 2010-2011. There are 300 Irish applying for National Insurance numbers every week in the UK now. I would say that if you are going to come, be prepared to be unemployed for a lengthy time; and able to support yourself from savings in the event of you being refused social welfare.
I was fortunate that I had sufficient means to support myself for the last 2 years, as I was not eligible to claim social welfare. I am now in receipt of Job Seekers Allowance, which means my savings are no longer being depleted.
I am just biding my time until the economy improves and employment prospects increase. Realistically I think this will take another 2-5 years to happen though. The Irish economy usually goes in 10 year cycles of boom and bust. You have a decade of each; so I figure the Celtic Tiger boom ended 2007, and therefore by 2017 things will be back to economic boom again.

That's great news - we can sit on our holes for another 5 or 6 years then.

Joe-Soap Dec 28th 2011 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by sickntired (Post 9808601)

The alternative is emigration.

honeybunny2011 Dec 28th 2011 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sean MacMaghnuis (Post 9808575)

I really hope you are right. We moved to New Zealand in 2008 (have 3 kids) because my hubby lost his job, always thought that we would go for 3-5 years in hope that things would improve and in the mean time we could experience something other than bad times. I've had enough now and would like to think that in 2013 it would be safe to move back to Ireland. Miss my family terrible which is not a good enough reason to go back I know but I miss my old life, which is probably non existant in Ireland now as all I hear is that its a very different place to what it was in 2008. Went home for a holiday in 2009 and it was VERY bad so was happy to leave again. I feel I have given it a proper go here and it just isnt where I want to be. The only good thing about us moving back to Ireland in the next 12-18 months is that we would be mortgage free but what good is that if we have nothing to live on. So sad.

honeybunny2011 Dec 28th 2011 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by sickntired (Post 9808601)

Have to say I miss this irish humour :rofl: