British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/)
-   -   Can my wife apply for british citizenship? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/citizenship-passports-spouse-family-visas-uk-196/can-my-wife-apply-british-citizenship-808660/)

Wilto Sep 9th 2013 2:35 pm

Can my wife apply for british citizenship?

I am British, wifey is American, living in America planning on moving back to the UK as soon as we can get house sold and have the 6 months of savings.

I don't know how I forgot about this but her grandmother was British, born in Colchester but moved to America after marrying an American soldier.

Her grandmother died in 2007, my wife's mother never applied for citizenship, does her mother have any right to British citizenship? If so does my American born wife have any right to become a British citizen or national?

EDIT : Wife was born in 1987 and her mother has never acted upon her British citizenship and did not live in the UK prior to her being born.

spouse of scouse Sep 9th 2013 3:27 pm

Re: Can my wife apply for british citizenship?

Originally Posted by Wilto (Post 10892699)
I am British, wifey is American, living in America planning on moving back to the UK as soon as we can get house sold and have the 6 months of savings.

I don't know how I forgot about this but her grandmother was British, born in Colchester but moved to America after marrying an American soldier.

Her grandmother died in 2007, my wife's mother never applied for citizenship, does her mother have any right to British citizenship? If so does my American born wife have any right to become a British citizen or national?

EDIT : Wife was born in 1987 and her mother has never acted upon her British citizenship and did not live in the UK prior to her being born.

Your wife isn't eligible for British citizenship, sorry, and can't apply for an ancestry visa as the US isn't a Commonwealth nation. Not sure about her mum, someone will know though!

Wilto Sep 9th 2013 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 10892793)
Your wife isn't eligible for British citizenship, sorry, and can't apply for an ancestry visa as the US isn't a Commonwealth nation. Not sure about her mum, someone will know though!

Yeah I found a good website with some easy to understand info :( doesn't even qualify as a British National.

Lord I hope they sort this financial requirement mess out pronto.

spouse of scouse Sep 9th 2013 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by Wilto (Post 10892804)
Yeah I found a good website with some easy to understand info :( doesn't even qualify as a British National.

Lord I hope they sort this financial requirement mess out pronto.

I so understand! We're doing it from Australia, my husband's the British citizen, I'm an Aussie. Best of luck to you mate :fingerscrossed:

BritInParis Sep 9th 2013 6:37 pm

Your mother might be eligible to register as a British citizen but that doesn't help your wife. Does she have any other grandparents or a father born outside the US?