British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   No claims letter - what is the exact wording needed? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/no-claims-letter-what-exact-wording-needed-320516/)

rynhelcanada Aug 17th 2005 7:46 am

No claims letter - what is the exact wording needed?

Hi guys

Need your advice on car insurance and using your no claims earned in the UK to get a discount on Canadian insurance. We will be moving to BC and are going to get a letter for the no claims but I can't find the exact wording needed in the letter.
I know you have to include exact dates of when you were covered - do you have to get them to write - no claims were made against this policy in this time or something similar?

Thanks for the help

Rich_007 Aug 17th 2005 7:53 am

Re: No claims letter - what is the exact wording needed?

Your Address
Your Tel
Your Fax
Your E-Mail
Name & Address of UK Insurer
Wednesday, 17 August 2005

To Whom It May Concern:

RE: Request for non-standard Proof of No Claims Letter

My name is XXX, and between January 2002 and May 2003, I held a Motor Insurance Policy with your organisation. I am writing to you today to ask if you can provide me with a non-standard Proof of No Claims Letter. The reason for this is that I have recently emigrated to Vancouver, Canada, and in order for me transfer my No Claims Bonus to a Canadian insurer, a letter whose contents is different to a standard British Proof of No Claims Letter is required.

This non-standard letter, printed on paper containing your company letterhead, must include the following pieces of information:

1. The Policy Number I held with you.
2. The date my Motor Insurance Policy with you commenced.
3. The date my Motor Insurance Policy with you ended.
4. A sentence describing the type of insurance held – i.e. “fully comprehensive�.
5. A sentence explaining that I made no claims during this time.
6. A sentence describing the total number of years’ No Claims Bonus I had gained by the time my policy ended – e.g. “At the time of cancellation, Mr **** was entitled to a 71% No Claims Discount representing 6 years claim free driving.� Please note that the number of years accrued must be stated, and not just a No Claims percentage bonus.
7. A sentence describing the number of years’ No Claims Bonus I accrued with your organisation alone during this period – e.g. “Mr XXX accrued 2 years of No Claims Discount whilst insured with us.�

I believe that the following information may be useful in helping to identify me in your system:

<List details to identify all insurance policies with this company here>

Policy commenced: <start date>

Policy ended: <end date>

Policy number: <policy number>

Car insured during period: <car description>

My address during period: <your contact details>

I would appreciate it if you could fax, e-mail and post the letter to the following locations:

Fax to

001 604 123 4567 My fax number
001 604 123 4567 My insurance agent’s fax,
001 604 646 7400 The Canadian federal insurance agency’s fax

E-mail to

<email>

Post to (using FULL postal address)

<Your full Canadian address – when speaking to insurers, be sure that they are aware that ********* is in Canada, and that there are indeed other countries on this planet other than Great Britain!!>

Please do not send any correspondence to my old UK address, and please remember that Canada is outside of the UK, and as such, the letter will most likely need an ‘Airmail’ sticker. !

I realise that I am asking a lot of you, so I would like to express my sincerest gratitude to you and your organisation for doing this. Providing this letter will allow me to overcome a major hurdle in my new life.

Please find a sample letter overleaf.

Yours sincerely,

XXX

UK Insurer
Your full Canadian address

Proof of British No Claims’ Discount – Policy Number 123456789

We confirm that Mr XXX held a fully comprehensive Motor Insurance Policy with us from 1st of January 1998 to 1st of January 2002.

During this time, Mr XXX made no claims on his policy.

Mr XXX earned a total of 4 years of No Claims’ Discount whilst insured with us.

At the time of cancellation, Mr XXX was entitled to a grand total No Claims’ Discount of 6 years (71%).

We trust this information is sufficient for your requirements.

Yours sincerely,

XXX

rynhelcanada Aug 17th 2005 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Your Address
Your Tel
Your Fax
Your E-Mail
Name & Address of UK Insurer

To Whom It May Concern:

RE: Request for non-standard Proof of No Claims Letter

My name is XXX, and between January 2002 and May 2003, I held a Motor Insurance Policy with your organisation. I am writing to you today to ask if you can provide me with a non-standard Proof of No Claims Letter. The reason for this is that I have recently emigrated to Vancouver, Canada, and in order for me transfer my No Claims Bonus to a Canadian insurer, a letter whose contents is different to a standard British Proof of No Claims Letter is required.

This non-standard letter, printed on paper containing your company letterhead, must include the following pieces of information:

1. The Policy Number I held with you.
2. The date my Motor Insurance Policy with you commenced.
3. The date my Motor Insurance Policy with you ended.
4. A sentence describing the type of insurance held – i.e. “fully comprehensive�.
5. A sentence explaining that I made no claims during this time.
6. A sentence describing the total number of years’ No Claims Bonus I had gained by the time my policy ended – e.g. “At the time of cancellation, Mr **** was entitled to a 71% No Claims Discount representing 6 years claim free driving.� Please note that the number of years accrued must be stated, and not just a No Claims percentage bonus.
7. A sentence describing the number of years’ No Claims Bonus I accrued with your organisation alone during this period – e.g. “Mr XXX accrued 2 years of No Claims Discount whilst insured with us.�

I believe that the following information may be useful in helping to identify me in your system:

<List details to identify all insurance policies with this company here>

Policy commenced: <start date>

Policy ended: <end date>

Policy number: <policy number>

Car insured during period: <car description>

My address during period: <your contact details>

I would appreciate it if you could fax, e-mail and post the letter to the following locations:

Fax to

001 604 123 4567 My fax number
001 604 123 4567 My insurance agent’s fax,
001 604 646 7400 The Canadian federal insurance agency’s fax

E-mail to

<email>

Post to (using FULL postal address)

<Your full Canadian address – when speaking to insurers, be sure that they are aware that ********* is in Canada, and that there are indeed other countries on this planet other than Great Britain!!>

Please do not send any correspondence to my old UK address, and please remember that Canada is outside of the UK, and as such, the letter will most likely need an ‘Airmail’ sticker. !

I realise that I am asking a lot of you, so I would like to express my sincerest gratitude to you and your organisation for doing this. Providing this letter will allow me to overcome a major hurdle in my new life.

Please find a sample letter overleaf.

Yours sincerely,

XXX

UK Insurer
Your full Canadian address

Proof of British No Claims’ Discount – Policy Number 123456789

We confirm that Mr XXX held a fully comprehensive Motor Insurance Policy with us from 1st of January 1998 to 1st of January 2002.

During this time, Mr XXX made no claims on his policy.

Mr XXX earned a total of 4 years of No Claims’ Discount whilst insured with us.

At the time of cancellation, Mr XXX was entitled to a grand total No Claims’ Discount of 6 years (71%).

We trust this information is sufficient for your requirements.

Yours sincerely,

XXX

wow that is fantastic! thanks for that - I am sure others will be grateful too!

Woodstock62 Aug 17th 2005 8:43 am

Wow Rich!
Thanks for that, hopefully we'll save some money with that. :)

Rich_007 Aug 17th 2005 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Woodstock62
Wow Rich!
Thanks for that, hopefully we'll save some money with that. :)

Folks, the info was copied and pasted from the Brits-to-Vancouver forum, thanks to a kind contributor on there. Never reinvent the wheel, huh ?

Oh yes, you will save a few bucks, getting 5% off your premium for each year you can prove your UK no claims history.

But be warned, Canadian auto insurance premiums are way high - up to $2-3-4k for a fairly bog standard salon car. Risk is also based on how far you commute to/from work and weight of vehicle.

Just get used to the insurance prices, it's a fact of life there and a search of previous messages on here will tell a long tale of woe :mad: especially when you've been used to paying £400 full comp NCB protected for a tasty auto :rolleyes: I think 40% discount is the max anyone can earn ???

Glad to be of help anyway.

Rich.

Bleech Aug 17th 2005 10:48 am

Nice one Rich.
Friendly insurance company as well, they give kisses at the bottom of their letters! :(

Rich_007 Aug 17th 2005 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Bleech
Friendly insurance company as well, they give kisses at the bottom of their letters! :(

Yeah, I forgot, did u put xxxx big kissy kissy on your PR application :rolleyes:

Along with a ten-page covering (AKA grovelling) letter ;)

Rich.

Canada Jane Aug 20th 2005 2:20 pm

We know of a couple of people who emigrated in the last year and found the companies that agreed to take their UK NCB into account actually worked out dearer than some others who didn't. Both couples ended up taking out their insurance with companies who did not take UK records into account.

Strange but true.
Jane

Rich_007 Aug 20th 2005 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by Canada Jane
We know of a couple of people who emigrated in the last year and found the companies that agreed to take their UK NCB into account actually worked out dearer than some others who didn't. Both couples ended up taking out their insurance with companies who did not take UK records into account.

Depends where in Canada - in BC, ICBC provides basic statutory insurance ("Basic Compulsoty Coverage") which is standard no matter which Autoplan broker you go to. The discount and whatever is 'as is', no negotiating, no scams, no deals. I've seen the printout with price details shown and with exception of varaibles such as location (Vabcouver/Interior etc) and commuting distance (15 km, 25 km, etc) it's standard, produced from their system.

Then the extras cover, like x$m legal liabaility, collision, comprehensive deductible, insurance against limited depreciation, breakdown, etc, all can be bought from any broker. That's where the savings come in, up to 50% so I was told by JJ.

We'll go for the standard then shop around once we have that, and we got our UK proof confirmed as being acceptable a while ago.

Other provinces without a federal backed insurance scheme have an open market approach, i.e. go to who you want to for whatever you want to. The argument for/against is a whole other matter :mad:

Rich.

NessieOggy Aug 20th 2005 4:08 pm

Great info you've provided, Rich - you did your homework! :)

Basic coverage includes the third party liability portion and such things as your accident benefits (medical), underinsured motorist protection, etc. - these are held by the province. The comprehensive (theft, vandalism, animal collision, glass, weather related such as hail) & collision are optional and can also be purchased through a private carrier as well. Comprehensive claims made under ICBC aren't noted as claims against your policy and you won't see a monetary increase as a result of having made the claim. Hit and Run claims with ICBC are subject to your deductible, but won't affect your policy on renewal (as some private insurers will do).

Just one note about the driver's abstract (driver's history) is that the information must be on letterhead from the company providing the coverage, not from the broker that you purchase it from. I'll have to call & make inquiries about that... as I'm not sure if a letter head from "Arnold Clark" will suffice or if it has to be from say "Corinthian" who provides the policies to that dealership.

If you need additional information... you can always check out www.icbc.com

Cheers!

Oggy

Rich_007 Aug 20th 2005 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
Just one note about the driver's abstract (driver's history) is that the information must be on letterhead from the company providing the coverage, not from the broker that you purchase it from. I'll have to call & make inquiries about that... as I'm not sure if a letter head from "Arnold Clark" will suffice or if it has to be from say "Corinthian" who provides the policies to that dealership.

& More:

We got our letter and faxed it to a couple of brokers in BC who both confirmed in writing that ICBC would accept it. :D there's always help out there ya just gotta go find it.

Rich.