British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   how do I watch you tube videos without them pausing all the time? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/how-do-i-watch-you-tube-videos-without-them-pausing-all-time-511269/)

kitty4 Feb 3rd 2008 12:22 am

how do I watch you tube videos without them pausing all the time?

Just as the title says. How do I watch things like You tube video clips - when they keep pausing every few seconds it drives me nuts and puts me off. Why do they (and other online vidoe clips) do this? Sometimes I can watch a boring bit of a clip uninterupted but when it gets good, the pausing and squeaky noises start again.

I appreciate I may appear quite dumb asking this, but my computer literacy only goes as far as basic email/web browsing/word processing/powerpoint.

Please someone - put me out of misery - either everyone has to watch them like this or I am doing something wrong and can fix it.

Cheers

:o

Wendy Feb 3rd 2008 12:25 am

Re: how do I watch you tube videos without them pausing all the time?

Originally Posted by kitty4 (Post 5875723)
Just as the title says. How do I watch things like You tube video clips - when they keep pausing every few seconds it drives me nuts and puts me off. Why do they (and other online vidoe clips) do this? Sometimes I can watch a boring bit of a clip uninterupted but when it gets good, the pausing and squeaky noises start again.

I appreciate I may appear quite dumb asking this, but my computer literacy only goes as far as basic email/web browsing/word processing/powerpoint.

Please someone - put me out of misery - either everyone has to watch them like this or I am doing something wrong and can fix it.

Cheers

:o

It's usually because it's not streaming fast enough. Which means your download speed is slow.

What I do is pause the clip, give it until the red bar has gone almost to the end then I watch it :D

kitty4 Feb 3rd 2008 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5875731)
It's usually because it's not streaming fast enough. Which means your download speed is slow.

What I do is pause the clip, give it until the red bar has gone almost to the end then I watch it :D

Thanks for that Wendy :)

I'll try it today.

Makes me wonder why I pay for high speed broadband - mine takes ages to connect and is little faster than dial up :( or I am talking about an entirely different thing here :o

Timber Floor Au Feb 3rd 2008 12:33 am

As wendy says !!!

The video loads into Cache...

so by pausing, the video continues to stream into cache, and then when fully loaded, you can play back.. without hitch.

Make sure if on Int Exp. you have cleared, cache, history and donloaded files, from temp folder.. all this stuff clogs the arteries of your PC.

kitty4 Feb 3rd 2008 12:43 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5875765)
As wendy says !!!

The video loads into Cache...

so by pausing, the video continues to stream into cache, and then when fully loaded, you can play back.. without hitch.

Make sure if on Int Exp. you have cleared, cache, history and donloaded files, from temp folder.. all this stuff clogs the arteries of your PC.

Thanks Timber

(not that I have the slightest clue what ''cache'' is or how to clear it) :o

I should get myself the latest edition of one of those idiots books for computers :D

Luke I Amyofath Feb 3rd 2008 1:13 am

Originally Posted by kitty4 (Post 5875797)
Thanks Timber

(not that I have the slightest clue what ''cache'' is or how to clear it) :o

I should get myself the latest edition of one of those idiots books for computers :D

On this page at the top, click tools then internet options, on the general tab pick delete files. This will delete your browser cache so if you are having problems viewing web pages it will most likely help. You should clear your cache every so often

kitty4 Feb 3rd 2008 6:12 am

Originally Posted by Luke I Amyofath (Post 5875905)
On this page at the top, click tools then internet options, on the general tab pick delete files. This will delete your browser cache so if you are having problems viewing web pages it will most likely help. You should clear your cache every so often

Thanks for that - have just done it as instructed.

Thanks everyone who has replied to me - I have learned things to improve my use of the internet (even though it may seem obvious and simple to loads of people sometimes - for some of us - it just needs pointing out in a simple, concise way instead of these waffling text books and help options which say ''is it this or that etc'' and I end up overwhelmed).

Cheers
:thumbsup:

@boy Feb 3rd 2008 7:25 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by kitty4 (Post 5875760)
Thanks for that Wendy :)

I'll try it today.

Makes me wonder why I pay for high speed broadband - mine takes ages to connect and is little faster than dial up :( or I am talking about an entirely different thing here :o

http://www.zdnet.com.au/broadband/speedtest.htm

Make sure you are not using the connection for anything else once the test is running.

Let us know what result you get !

Timber Floor Au Feb 3rd 2008 8:29 am

1 Attachment(s)
Cool !

Heres mine

@boy Feb 3rd 2008 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au (Post 5876910)
Cool !

Heres mine

Goddamn Timber ! 8Mb download - you have no prob watching YouTube vids I take it ;-)

Wendy Feb 3rd 2008 8:57 am

I only have 527 :o

Mind you, I only have the basic package (I'm too tight to pay more than $40 per month :D)

Timber Floor Au Feb 3rd 2008 9:00 am

Originally Posted by @boy (Post 5876957)
Goddamn Timber ! 8Mb download - you have no prob watching YouTube vids I take it ;-)

I was kinda shocked myself !!

We only have a 1.5 mbps connection ! or so i thought...

Gonna redo the test lol , brb

Timber Floor Au Feb 3rd 2008 9:06 am

1 Attachment(s)
Test 2

Liberia are the fastest, and statistically Australia is faster than uK !

@boy Feb 3rd 2008 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 5876965)
I only have 527 :o

Mind you, I only have the basic package (I'm too tight to pay more than $40 per month :D)

40 bucks would be about right for 512(down)/128(up).
The extra 10 bucks a month if you do stretch to $50 will generally get you a 1500(down)/256(up) connection with about double the download quota.

but its an extra 10 bucks a month that could be going in the mortgage ;-)

Wendy Feb 3rd 2008 9:08 am

Originally Posted by @boy (Post 5876990)
40 bucks would be about right for 512(down)/128(up).
The extra 10 bucks a month will generally get you a 1500(down)/256(up) connection with about double the download quota.

but its an extra 10 bucks a month that could be going in the mortgage ;-)

Yep. When I get a job I might treat myself :D