British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Renew expired UK passport in USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/renew-expired-uk-passport-usa-764245/)

zaphod1066 Jul 7th 2012 8:10 pm

Renew expired UK passport in USA

Hi everybody, sorry for starting another passport thread, I did a search but couldn't find an exact reply to my query, which is -

I'm living in the US and I need to renew my UK passport that expired ~17 months ago, looking at the front of the C1 form it says

"... and we can add up to 9 months validity from your current passport to your new one"

So can I still get mine renewed? I've looked at the ukinusa.fco.gov.uk site & I can't see anything that relates to my situation.

Thanks.

md95065 Jul 7th 2012 8:46 pm

Re: Renew expired UK passport in USA

Yes, of course you can get your passport renewed - just follow the instructions here.

The text that you quoted refers to being able to add up to 9 months of the remaining time left on an unexpired passport to the period of validity of the new passport. Since your passport had already expired it doesn't apply to you and your new passport will be valid for 10 years from the date of issue.

The important point (which may be what you are worried about) is that since you still have your old passport your application will be treated as a renewal even though your passport has expired - that means that the only document that you need to provide in support of the application is your old passport.

zaphod1066 Jul 7th 2012 8:53 pm

Ahh, thanks for clearing that up md, I was reading it like I had 9 months to get it renewed... :o

Bob Jul 8th 2012 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by zaphod1066 (Post 10160207)
Ahh, thanks for clearing that up md, I was reading it like I had 9 months to get it renewed... :o

You've got 10 years before they treat you as a first time passport, these days I believe. Unless the passport is pre-biometrics.

HighCountry Jul 8th 2012 6:53 pm

It's quite easy and more efficiently done that the US version, if I recall correctly.

zaphod1066 Jul 8th 2012 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 10161233)
You've got 10 years before they treat you as a first time passport, these days I believe. Unless the passport is pre-biometrics.

Yeah mine is pre-biometrics, issued 2001, we're gonna get it sent if in the next ~month tho so hopefully that wont be an issue.

britmoving Jul 11th 2012 8:40 pm

Do you know if they return the old passport when you renew? I'm about to do this and would love to keep my old one....

RICH Jul 11th 2012 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by britmoving (Post 10167253)
Do you know if they return the old passport when you renew? I'm about to do this and would love to keep my old one....

Yes you get the old one back.

britmoving Jul 11th 2012 8:47 pm

Thanks Rich!

River Rat Jul 11th 2012 11:47 pm

Just renewed my passport, it arrived today (11 July) after less than four weeks from the time my application was received in Washington (14 June) They did not return my old expired passport (not that I really wanted it) Perhaps you have to ask for it to be returned?

Bob Jul 11th 2012 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by River Rat (Post 10167522)
Just renewed my passport, it arrived today (11 July) after less than four weeks from the time my application was received in Washington (14 June) They did not return my old expired passport (not that I really wanted it) Perhaps you have to ask for it to be returned?

It's usually returned separate, along with any other documentation.

And wow, first post in four years, belated welcome to BE :)

River Rat Jul 12th 2012 12:03 am

Thanks for the welcome Bob, have been a lurker and regular visitor to the site since joining back when ............. promise not to leave it so long before my next post ( see, 2 posts now!!! ) Thanks for the info on the separate mailing.

Sally Redux Jul 12th 2012 12:06 am

Originally Posted by River Rat (Post 10167547)
Thanks for the welcome Bob, have been a lurker and regular visitor to the site since joining back when ............. promise not to leave it so long before my next post ( see, 2 posts now!!! ) Thanks for the info on the separate mailing.

Steady on mate - it'll go to your head :lol:

River Rat Jul 12th 2012 12:24 am

Don't stop me now I'm on a roll!! That's 3 posts in one day - twelve years worth.

britmoving Jul 12th 2012 12:36 am

And it only took me 9 years to ask another question... where has the time gone?!