British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dogs & Rabies Jabs (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dogs-rabies-jabs-541218/)

sambapink Jun 4th 2008 9:18 pm

Dogs & Rabies Jabs

I think I touched on this briefly in another thread.. But just to give those who are bringing their Dogs from UK to US a heads up, I have been told that the Rabies vaccination that my UK vet gave to my dog is not the 'required' one for the State of California.

Apperantely they have checked the serial number and its not one they recommend. I have to get him re-vaccinated. Might be worth checking with the State that you are going to which specific vaccines they will accept.

Jerseygirl Jun 4th 2008 9:39 pm

Re: Dogs & Rabies Jabs

Originally Posted by sambapink (Post 6435080)
I think I touched on this briefly in another thread.. But just to give those who are bringing their Dogs from UK to US a heads up, I have been told that the Rabies vaccination that my UK vet gave to my dog is not the 'required' one for the State of California.

Apperantely they have checked the serial number and its not one they recommend. I have to get him re-vaccinated. Might be worth checking with the State that you are going to which specific vaccines they will accept.

I remember when we were in the UK and looked into this. It was over 12 years ago so things may have changed...but we were told there are two types of vaccine...one live one not. Check the regulations for your state...as per usual they do differ.

sambapink Jun 4th 2008 10:16 pm

Yes your right JG. I actually called animal services here in California before we left just to check what they expected from me, but unfortunately they didn't say a specific type was needed.

sarahlou145 Jun 8th 2008 11:11 am

Just received our pet passports, plan is to move to San Francisco (waiting on visas)
We had the rabies jabs done in the UK - it states on the certificate

INTERVET NOBIVAC RABIES A017A01

Any idea if this is valid?

sambapink Jun 8th 2008 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by sarahlou145 (Post 6446746)
Just received our pet passports, plan is to move to San Francisco (waiting on visas)

Hi Sarah - i'm sorry I don't know if thats valid. I would strongly recommend calling Animal Services in SF - they will be able to tell you. I had no problems with the rabies Jab that my dog had until it came to getting his Dog Licence - The vet here wasn't concern about what type it was, Virgin Atlantic weren't concerned what type it was, and customs at LAX weren't concerned. But Animal services obviously want a specific type for the dogs to allow Licences to be issued.

All it really means is that my dog has to be re-vaccinated - and paid for AGAIN!

Jerseygirl Jun 8th 2008 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by sarahlou145 (Post 6446746)

Best to check with the Dept of Agriculture in California...may also be an idea to find out from your vet whether it is a live vaccine or not.

sarahlou145 Jun 9th 2008 3:40 pm

thanks for the replies, ive done some research online and the vaccine they have received doesnt appear to be on the list of apporved ones for california :(
So it looks like that £250 has just been wasted, although at least they have their passports ready to come back to the UK if anything does go wrong.
Is there any downside to them having a second rabies jab so soon? as i guess ill need to get this done before applying for the licenses when we move, also what are the prices like over there?
Sambapink - did you ship your dog yourself or use a company? Ive had lots of quotes but havent decided who to go with yet.
Also dont have a move date yet, as waiting on visas
Thanks

sambapink Jun 9th 2008 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by sarahlou145 (Post 6449765)
thanks for the replies, ive done some research online and the vaccine they have received doesnt appear to be on the list of apporved ones for california :(
So it looks like that £250 has just been wasted, although at least they have their passports ready to come back to the UK if anything does go wrong.
Is there any downside to them having a second rabies jab so soon? as i guess ill need to get this done before applying for the licenses when we move, also what are the prices like over there?
Sambapink - did you ship your dog yourself or use a company? Ive had lots of quotes but havent decided who to go with yet.
Also dont have a move date yet, as waiting on visas
Thanks

Hey Sarah... I made the same mistake with the vaccines - and unfortunately all i was told was they need rabies - not a specific type :sneaky: Best to check with your vet to see if they can have them re-done. As I said before my dog had no problems with customs etc on the 'wrong' rabies vaccination - its more when you come to get their licences.

We flew Heathrow to Los Angeles with Virgin - and our dog went in the hold on the same flight. Virgin were fabulous - except they didn't let me know on the flight if my dog was ok - they told me at heathrow that the cabin crew would be able to tell me that all was well - but they didn't. I thinkwe paid about 600 pounds for his 'ticket'. They send you out a whole pack explaining everything - its really quite straight forward. Where are you flying to? I know at LAX the wait at for customs clearance for our dog was AWFUL!! Any other advice you need please ask... best of luck... xx