British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Barbie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/)
-   -   Shower V Bath (https://britishexpats.com/forum/barbie-92/shower-v-bath-752729/)

rasen78 Mar 25th 2012 5:55 pm

Shower V Bath

Don't think we've had a poll recently so just thought I'd change that:D

We currently have no heating. Something I'm not too bothered about as we need to harden up for Aus anyway:sneaky:, but until lunchtime, we thought he had no hot water, ergo no shower (no electric shower in this house). I LOVE my shower. Could quite happily live without a bath, but the thought of not having a shower fills me with such horror:eek: I need to have at least one a day. But is this a generational thing? My folks (who are in their 70's) have a bath/shower once a week and make do with a strip wash, as does ROMFT's folks too.

commonwealth Mar 25th 2012 7:41 pm

Re: Shower V Bath

Most Aussie adults take a shower at least once a day.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Mar 25th 2012 8:15 pm

I think I've had one bath in six years, to try out my stupidly large corner bath. By the time it was full I was bored of waiting. Showers for me.

commonwealth Mar 25th 2012 8:29 pm

And mind you, baths are a waste of precious water!

Kapri Mar 25th 2012 8:36 pm

I shower every day for cleanliness, but I love to soak in a relaxing bubble bath and read my book, for pleasure :thumbup:

Tr1boy Mar 25th 2012 8:49 pm

Shower normally, bath for shaving my legs:thumbup:

elice_in_oz Mar 25th 2012 8:55 pm

Shower once a day and in the morning for me. I can't start the day otherwise.
Interestingly, my French parents also have a shower every morning, but my English MIL only has a bath or shower a couple of times a week in the evening, which I find hard to stomach as she is a smoker :ohmy:
When I met my English OH, he would only shower every other day :eek: I soon changed that! :D So much for the French's reputation of being smelly and dirty :p In my book it is the English that often need to shower more often :rofl:

Bermudashorts Mar 25th 2012 9:01 pm

Shower every morning and sometimes in the evening too if it has been a particularly hot day. I thought everyone showered every day? :blink:

I have not used the bath in my house here and we have been here nearly 21 months now. I have had a few baths in that time though, if we have been away and there has been an inviting jacuzzi tub in the room.

willmore Mar 25th 2012 9:08 pm

Should have made it multiple choice;)

I shower 3x a week, but also love to take baths on cold rainy notes before I jump into bed.:thumbsup:

chris955 Mar 25th 2012 9:16 pm

I shower every day and most people i know seem to as well. Some of the older generation definitely dont though, you only have to walk around any mall to smell that, must be Brits ;)

chris955 Mar 25th 2012 9:20 pm

It should be remembered that showering every day is a relatively modern thing and that excessive washing isnt actually a good thing as it strips the skin of oil and good bacteria. You are not 'dirty' if you dont shower every day.

Pollyana Mar 25th 2012 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by chris955 (Post 9971985)
It should be remembered that showering every day is a relatively modern thing and that excessive washing isnt actually a good thing as it strips the skin of oil and good bacteria. You are not 'dirty' if you dont shower every day.

I actually had medical advice to that effect - because I have really awful skin (eczema) I was told that a bath is much better cos its more gentle. A shower strips the natural oils much faster as the water actually pummels the skin, whereas with a bath you can soak it. When my skin is really bad I can't have a shower cos it physically hurts :blink: whereas lying in a bath is the most blissful thing ever, beats sex anyday!
Finding somewhere to live in Brisbane is hellish as I insist on a bath and the number of places that have one is shrinking by the week, one reason why I cling to the lease on this little place no matter what!

carolinephillips Mar 25th 2012 10:00 pm

Usually a bath 2-3 times a week, which I much prefer. After swimming, a shower, 1-2 times a week.

Dreamy Mar 25th 2012 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Kapri (Post 9971919)
I shower every day for cleanliness, but I love to soak in a relaxing bubble bath and read my book, for pleasure :thumbup:

That's mine - shower for cleaning, bath for relaxation.

Sundays don't feel right without having a bath!

goldchoccycoin Mar 25th 2012 11:38 pm

I haven't had a single bath in about 12 years. I really don't enjoy them. Shower at least once a day and sometimes 2/3 times a day if it's humid. Would feel dirty and gross if I didn't shower when I get up!