British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Christmas and New Year in Ayamonte (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/christmas-new-year-ayamonte-725700/)

ClaireBob Jul 20th 2011 8:42 pm

Christmas and New Year in Ayamonte

We are thinking of coming to Costa Esuri for Christmas & New Year, can anyone tell me if anything will be open. eg.supermarkets, restaurants to book Christmas Dinner (I have emailed Jags- await reply). Also any ideas for New Year's Eve?
Thanks
Claire & Bob

Jon-Bxl Jul 21st 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Christmas and New Year in Ayamonte

Originally Posted by ClaireBob (Post 9507821)
We are thinking of coming to Costa Esuri for Christmas & New Year, can anyone tell me if anything will be open. eg.supermarkets, restaurants to book Christmas Dinner (I have emailed Jags- await reply). Also any ideas for New Year's Eve?
Thanks
Claire & Bob

In recent years there have been things going on all over the period in Jags, the Golf Club and I am sure Gavins new place in Town will have something (just guessing). We hhad a great NYEve a couple of years ago at the club .. and this year you will simply have more choices than before

You'll have no problems with the restos and supermarkets either.....

Go for it :thumbsup:

Jon

ClaireBob Jul 23rd 2011 9:20 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl (Post 9510231)
In recent years there have been things going on all over the period in Jags, the Golf Club and I am sure Gavins new place in Town will have something (just guessing). We hhad a great NYEve a couple of years ago at the club .. and this year you will simply have more choices than before

You'll have no problems with the restos and supermarkets either.....

Go for it :thumbsup:

Jon

Thanks Jon, we have booked our flights. I'm sure as we get closer to Xmas we will start to hear of events. We have not been to Gavins yet, where in Town is it?
Regards
Claire & Bob

MikeCol Jul 23rd 2011 9:45 am

Originally Posted by ClaireBob (Post 9513519)
Thanks Jon, we have booked our flights. I'm sure as we get closer to Xmas we will start to hear of events. We have not been to Gavins yet, where in Town is it?
Regards
Claire & Bob

Hi, Gavins new bar and restaurant are in Plaza La Lota. Regards Bryony

Jon-Bxl Jul 23rd 2011 10:38 am

Originally Posted by ClaireBob (Post 9513519)
Regards
Claire & Bob

Hi Claire & Bob Its called El Limonero a resto and as Bryony says its in La Lota plaza, (where the'new' pizza place used to be opposite the indoor market) and next door to Lotita which I think Gavin also has taken over as well which is a tapa and cocktail bar... and general bar as well.

Im sure there will be all sorts of things to do - and last year for example Jag did specials over Xmas and New Year. The club did a buffet for NY Eve that went down well I heard, and Jags also had an event.

You'll have fun:)

Jon

EsuriJohn Jul 23rd 2011 5:03 pm

Thanks
Claire & Bob

Hi Claire & Bob,

Don't know if you are aware that the big celebration for Christmas in Spain is 6th January it therefor follows that Ayamonte being a working town just closes for Chistmas Day and most things are open either side of the 25th December. They do let their down on the 6th so if you are over for 10 days or so you can sandwich New Year between a traditional Brit Christmas and a new expirience Spanish one!

Have a good one, John.

ClaireBob Jul 23rd 2011 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 9514111)
Hi Claire & Bob,

Don't know if you are aware that the big celebration for Christmas in Spain is 6th January it therefor follows that Ayamonte being a working town just closes for Chistmas Day and most things are open either side of the 25th December. They do let their down on the 6th so if you are over for 10 days or so you can sandwich New Year between a traditional Brit Christmas and a new expirience Spanish one!

Have a good one, John.

Thank you everyone for the replys, very helpful and no we didn't know that the Spanish celebrate on 6th Jan. We are really looking forward to a different Xmas & New Year in Ayamonte.
Regards
Claire & Bob

ClaireBob Aug 28th 2011 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by ClaireBob (Post 9514135)
Thank you everyone for the replys, very helpful and no we didn't know that the Spanish celebrate on 6th Jan. We are really looking forward to a different Xmas & New Year in Ayamonte.
Regards
Claire & Bob

Just to let you know that Jags has replied to my email and will be opening on Xmas day. Just waiting for menus and then we will be booking.
Regards
Claire & Bob

Jur Aug 29th 2011 12:01 pm

Christmas is hardly celebrated out here, and what the Spanish celebrate on the 6th of Jan. is called Three Kings (Reyes Magos). This is the day when all the kids get their presents. In general Christmas is quiet so your best bet is to go to a foreign orientated place for a Christmas feel. Last year there was a Christmas market on the Plaza Ribeira, next to the taxis.

jdr Aug 30th 2011 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by ClaireBob (Post 9586764)
Just to let you know that Jags has replied to my email and will be opening on Xmas day. Just waiting for menus and then we will be booking.
Regards
Claire & Bob

Everything in Spain will be open on Christmas day, as Jur says they don`t celebrate it here.

MikeCol Aug 31st 2011 6:39 am

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 9590800)
Everything in Spain will be open on Christmas day, as Jur says they don`t celebrate it here.

But they do just over the bridge in Portugal:)

Barbara Red lips Aug 31st 2011 7:17 am

Thanks
Claire & Bob

Don't forget to bring wooly jumpers and raincoats.... the weather is nothing like it is in summer.
Some sunshine, but shorter days and consequently long cool dark nights with the possibility of wind and rain.

As long as you are prepared it can be fun.
:)

Geeeeeezer Oct 24th 2011 1:44 pm

I see Restaurante El Limonero in Ayamonte are open over the Xmas and New Year and have Jackie Ashworth booked for Xmas Eve and New Years Eve

http://ellimonero-ayamonte.com/christmas.htm

Jur Oct 24th 2011 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Geeeeeezer (Post 9692358)
I see Restaurante El Limonero in Ayamonte are open over the Xmas and New Year and have Jackie Ashworth booked for Xmas Eve and New Years Eve

ThereĀ“s also something about free food during football matches there.

ClaireBob Oct 24th 2011 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by Geeeeeezer (Post 9692358)

Thanks for the link, it looks good, just need to decide whether we go Christmas Eve or New Years Eve!:thumbsup: