British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Good service (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/good-service-756815/)

jimenato May 1st 2012 2:10 pm

Good service

In Mercadona at Palmones yesterday the checkouts were starting to back up so the call went out and they opened up a couple of extra tills.

Normally when this happens there is an unseemly rush to get there first with no thought as to who should be next - it's a case of the fastest and rudest wins.

This time however a young man came up to me (I was next in line, just about to put my stuff on the belt) and quietly led me to the next checkout which he then opened.

It struck me as a much better and more civilised way of doing things.:nod:

jimenato May 1st 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Good service

And while we are on supermarket queues, the Carrefour in La Linea only has one queue for its 30 or so checkouts. It works very well.

fionamw May 1st 2012 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 10035277)
And while we are on supermarket queues, the Carrefour in La Linea only has one queue for its 30 or so checkouts. It works very well.

They've introduced that (partially) at Los Patios Carrefour in Malaga. My OH nearly burst a bloodvessel waiting, though. The area which has a single queue sometimes has three, sometimes 8, tills so there's barely any benefit going to it. The autoservicio one is usually a good bet cos if anything whatsoever goes wrong - which it usually does - the girl has to help you out so it gets sorted pretty quickly;)

lynnxa May 1st 2012 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 10035273)
In Mercadona at Palmones yesterday the checkouts were starting to back up so the call went out and they opened up a couple of extra tills.

Normally when this happens there is an unseemly rush to get there first with no thought as to who should be next - it's a case of the fastest and rudest wins.

This time however a young man came up to me (I was next in line, just about to put my stuff on the belt) and quietly led me to the next checkout which he then opened.

It struck me as a much better and more civilised way of doing things.:nod:

that's usually how they do it in our local Mercadona :)

Domino May 1st 2012 3:30 pm

my local PAqui rarely needs the second till open, sometimes it gets a bit busy with 3 people waiting to be served

the off-licence over the road never has a queue, it takes longer to choose the week's wine than to pay for it.

jimenato May 1st 2012 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 10035395)
that's usually how they do it in our local Mercadona :)

Maybe it's standard Mercadona practice - good for them!:thumbup:

fionamw May 1st 2012 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 10035485)
Maybe it's standard Mercadona practice - good for them!:thumbup:

Well if it is the email hasn't made it to Cerrado de Calderon! Though to be fair they probably don't bother: with the WAGS in there most of the time the heels wouldn't take any pushing and shoving:sneaky:

jjh May 1st 2012 4:03 pm

In Primark in Jerez they have one queue for all their checkouts and it works really well. You get through in no time :thumbsup:

cricketman May 1st 2012 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 10035490)
Well if it is the email hasn't made it to Cerrado de Calderon! Though to be fair they probably don't bother: with the WAGS in there most of the time the heels wouldn't take any pushing and shoving:sneaky:

Spanish WAGS wouldnt be seen dead in a Mercadona ;)

fionamw May 1st 2012 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 10035588)
Spanish WAGS wouldnt be seen dead in a Mercadona ;)

I can assure you they would. Care to take a drive-by of the (pristine, white, of course) Chelsea tractors and view the size of handbag getting out? (oh, of course closely followed by said WAG and heels....:lol:) I do accept that some have substitutes to do their dirty work. There's a fair number of Microcars driven by filipinas carrying a week's worth of stuff...........

cricketman May 1st 2012 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by fionamw (Post 10035845)
I can assure you they would. Care to take a drive-by of the (pristine, white, of course) Chelsea tractors and view the size of handbag getting out? (oh, of course closely followed by said WAG and heels....:lol:) I do accept that some have substitutes to do their dirty work. There's a fair number of Microcars driven by filipinas carrying a week's worth of stuff...........

They are obviously neuvo riche :D

fionamw May 1st 2012 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by cricketman (Post 10035924)
They are obviously neuvo riche :D

..as is anyone with a pristine anything, darling.........:p

jackytoo May 1st 2012 7:56 pm

Having one queue sounds a great idea ............|I always pick the wrong line:frown: