British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Expired UK passport - renewal? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/expired-uk-passport-renewal-585453/)

Shaolin_Dragon Jan 19th 2009 3:02 pm

Expired UK passport - renewal?

Hi folks,
I'm living in the us and my british passport expired 2 years ago in mar 07. i am going to be renewing it, but wanted to know if i have to apply for a new one, or if i can just use the old one to renew. Any help would be appreciated!!

cheers and beers!:beer:

British Consul Jan 19th 2009 9:25 pm

Re: Expired UK passport - renewal?

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/passports/

Dean

Patrick Hasler Jan 19th 2009 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Shaolin_Dragon (Post 7187583)
Hi folks,
I'm living in the us and my british passport expired 2 years ago in mar 07. i am going to be renewing it, but wanted to know if i have to apply for a new one, or if i can just use the old one to renew. Any help would be appreciated!!

cheers and beers!:beer:

I think you had better renew it very fast ! ....... You are probably living here ilegaly without a valid passport :ohmy:

If you are stopped by INS you could be in a bit of bother :ohmy:

Shaolin_Dragon Jan 19th 2009 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 7189145)
I think you had better renew it very fast ! ....... You are probably living here ilegaly without a valid passport :ohmy:

Nah, i have a greencard - i'm all legal!!! :) just didnt know if i needed to renew or apply for a new one. heading back home towards the end of the year for a visit.

exvj Jan 19th 2009 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Shaolin_Dragon (Post 7189205)
Nah, i have a greencard - i'm all legal!!! :) just didnt know if i needed to renew or apply for a new one. heading back home towards the end of the year for a visit.

I agree - only 40% of americans have passports and 50 % of those think that London is in Paris

GC is the trump card

as long as you dont cross the borders of the finest country in the history of the world (Quote mitt romney) without one, then it is no problema

actually its legal to leave without one under US law - but the airlines wont carry you out because you wont be allowed in the other end...

Jerseygirl Jan 19th 2009 11:06 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7189236)
actually its legal to leave without one under US law - but the airlines wont carry you out because you wont be allowed in the other end...

A British citizen doesn't need a current UK passport to enter the UK...but yes there may be a problem with the airline. Best to check with the airline and get it in writing.

exvj Jan 19th 2009 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7189396)
A British citizen doesn't need a current UK passport to enter the UK...but yes there may be a problem with the airline. Best to check with the airline and get it in writing.

My pal turned up at heathrow without a passport some years ago - he had put it in his checked luggage. I was with him.

He started swearing at himself as an idiot in an essex accent at the top of his voice and the immigration officer said 'ok i believe you are british - go on through'

Jerseygirl Jan 19th 2009 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7189413)
My pal turned up at heathrow without a passport some years ago - he had put it in his checked luggage. I was with him.

He started swearing at himself as an idiot in an essex accent at the top of his voice and the immigration officer said 'ok i believe you are british - go on through'

Hopefully the OP will have his expired UK PP. As a British citizen you cannot be refused entry to the UK...but without proof of citizenship ie PP, birth certificate etc...I presume departure out of the airport will be delayed.

exvj Jan 19th 2009 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7189421)
Hopefully the OP will have his expired UK PP. As a British citizen you cannot be refused entry to the UK...but without proof of citizenship ie PP, birth certificate etc...I presume departure out of the airport will be delayed.

The airlines have to pay a big fine if the passenger is refused entry and so they will stop anyone without a passport

I had my hardest time ever from the BMI woman at manchester (short hair, muscles, hatchet face) who said i couldnt fly visa waiver as she had no proof my Advance Parole status was cancelled
(long story)

She could not get her supervisor on the mobile to confirm - so she finally (45 mins later) let me fly (at my own risk and cost) but she was much tougher than any immigration official anywhere

Now I have my GC i always make a beeline for her and give her my passport - she starts to give me hard time and gets stern when she sees old visas - then i smirk and pull my GC out - I might forgive her in a few years and stop doing it

oo i am bad

Jerseygirl Jan 19th 2009 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7189445)
The airlines have to pay a big fine if the passenger is refused entry and so they will stop anyone without a passport

I had my hardest time ever from the BMI woman at manchester (short hair, muscles, hatchet face) who said i couldnt fly visa waiver as she had no proof my Advance Parole status was cancelled
(long story)

She could not get her supervisor on the mobile to confirm - so she finally (45 mins later) let me fly (at my own risk and cost) but she was much tougher than any immigration official anywhere

Now I have my GC i always make a beeline for her and give her my passport - she starts to give me hard time and gets stern when she sees old visas - then i smirk and pull my GC out - I might forgive her in a few years and stop doing it

oo i am bad

Although that is true for a non US citizen trying to enter the US...I'm not sure it applies when entering the UK. Best to check with the airline first.

Manc Jan 19th 2009 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Patrick Hasler (Post 7189145)

where do you get your immigration advice from?

exvj Jan 19th 2009 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Manc (Post 7189475)
where do you get your immigration advice from?

ceiling - top left i reckon

AlanR Jan 19th 2009 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 7189396)

I don't think that this is true anymore. I do remember a case of a journalist convincing immigration officials to let him in with his birth certificate only. I believe now that UK law has mandated that the passport must be used now:
http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/travel-europe.asp

exvj Jan 19th 2009 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by AlanR (Post 7189525)
I don't think that this is true anymore. I do remember a case of a journalist convincing immigration officials to let him in with his birth certificate only. I believe now that UK law has mandated that the passport must be used now:
http://www.ips.gov.uk/passport/travel-europe.asp

academic point as the airline will stop anyone who tries it...

unless you are tiger woods in which case they say - pass mr president

Patrick Hasler Jan 19th 2009 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by exvj (Post 7189413)

I hope they have better imigration officers now FFS .... don't they know terrorists can easily put on accents :ohmy: