British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Why no Quorn in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/why-no-quorn-canada-483765/)

DATHI2003 Sep 26th 2007 10:09 pm

Why no Quorn in Canada?

Another link got me going on this...does anyone know why you cannot buy vegetarian Quorn products in Canada? We live on the stuff here in London (UK) and will really miss it when we move. I've heard you can get Marmite in superstore...is there one in Toronto? Also are there any Irish or UK food stores in Toronto?

Many thanks. Cyn (Dathi's wife)

Piff Poff Sep 27th 2007 12:03 am

Re: Why no Quorn in Canada?

You can buy meatless meat :blink: here - not called Quorn and not sure if it is exactly the same but it comes in very small packages for very big bucks (or I think it is expensive compared to the size of package anyhow). I've not tried it as I do eat meat, I think if it was cheaper I would buy whilst dieting (which is why I used the stuff in UK and it was pretty good!).

R I C H Sep 27th 2007 12:06 am

We order paneer from a local Indian restaurant and buy it wholesale from them. It arrives in a 5kg bag and is easily frozen. Costs about $60 and lasts a long time.

Piff Poff Sep 27th 2007 12:09 am

Local Indian Restaurant:rofl::rofl::rofl: You're lucky!

Oh - one did open in Red Deer recently - apparently really expensive and leaves you hungry.:mad:

dbd33 Sep 27th 2007 1:40 am

Originally Posted by DATHI2003 (Post 5358532)
Another link got me going on this...does anyone know why you cannot buy vegetarian Quorn products in Canada? We live on the stuff here in London (UK) and will really miss it when we move. I've heard you can get Marmite in superstore...is there one in Toronto? Also are there any Irish or UK food stores in Toronto?

Loblaws is the major supermarket chain in Toronto. All their stores keep Marmite. It's expensive thought so bring all you can carry.

Purley Sep 27th 2007 3:52 am

Most of the meatless products here - like sausage and stuff like that is made of soya I think. Still, soya is good for you.:cool:

Grah Sep 27th 2007 4:01 am

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 5358886)
Loblaws is the major supermarket chain in Toronto. All their stores keep Marmite. It's expensive thought so bring all you can carry.

Saw the big jar (not super big) for 6.50 in an Chinese\far east store. along with bottles of lucozade - litres and 300ml.

Does anyone see any Clark's Baked Beans in tomato sauce in Ontario. North West foods stock all the pork and maple etc flavours but no the best here in Winnipeg.

( unless anyone else knows different.)

Grah Sep 27th 2007 4:11 am

did a google came up
Quorn US

and

This is the reply I received from the compay regarding a query about sale of Quorn in Canada. "Quorn products are currently available in the U.K., U.S, Eire, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium and Holland, although there are plans for their availability to other countries in the future. Quorn is not currently sold in Canada and at the present time there are no plans to begin distribution in Canada. When introducing a product into a country there are issues relating to regulatory approval and distribution logistics to be addressed before products can be made available for sale."

bazzz Sep 27th 2007 4:12 am

I find that beef is an excellent quorn substitute. And it's widely available in Canada.

Frank'n Sense Sep 27th 2007 4:16 am

Originally Posted by DATHI2003 (Post 5358532)

I emailed the Quorn people and got the "no plans" email. A bit of digging and it seems that the Canadian Food and Drug agency (or whatever it is in Canadian) is unlikely to ok it as there have been some allergic reactions etc.

I too miss Quorn. Nothing here quite like it. Most of the stuff is rubbery imitations of meat. The tofurky thanksgiving dinner is not to be recommended either, though the wishbone made of tofu jerky made me laugh.

Learn to use tofu which is available everywhere.

Warmly,

Frank

dingbat Sep 27th 2007 5:09 am

Originally Posted by lizwil98 (Post 5359082)
Most of the meatless products here - like sausage and stuff like that is made of soya I think. Still, soya is good for you.:cool:

Not if you happen to be a bloke. There is apparently a connection between soya consumption by men and the alarming preponderance of moobs. I think we should be told. Officially, anyway. ;)

dingbat Sep 27th 2007 5:11 am

They sell Kraft Dinner here by the container load every single minute of the day...and they have an issue with Quorn? Duh...:confused:

gryphea Sep 27th 2007 6:55 am

Originally Posted by dingbat (Post 5359200)
Not if you happen to be a bloke. There is apparently a connection between soya consumption by men and the alarming preponderance of moobs. I think we should be told. Officially, anyway. ;)

Also unless you shop very carefully a lot of soya is GMed in US

I find it odd that Canadains are worried about what has been very very very low level of allergy when their supermarkets are devoted to nuts!!!

Gryph

2NS Sep 27th 2007 11:32 am

Hey guys

Can't remember where I saw it I'm afraid, but the scoop on Quorn I'd read said that it had to do with the fact that Quorn is some strange form of fungus, and the Canadian Food Police are not satisfied that this product qualifies as a 'food' - assuming it's not quite a mushroom, but something else entirely [ie, Frankenfood :eek:] !!

2NS

landhouse Sep 27th 2007 11:48 am

How ridiculous - it's a fungus, which is grown on the tops of soil and very low in fat and actually very good for you. I will miss quorn too so that's very sad.

I wouldn't touch soya with a bargepole to be honest and and am very careful about buying anything with palm oil in in too as both play a significant part in the destruction of the rain forests and the forced migration of the indiginous populations into cities, thus increasing child mortality rates etc (breathe!). But that's a whole different thread and something I like to have a personal rant about every once in a while.