British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/)
-   -   How Do I Obtain The Right To Work & Stay In UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/how-do-i-obtain-right-work-stay-uk-245442/)

plumpudding Jul 31st 2004 12:05 am

How Do I Obtain The Right To Work & Stay In UK?

I would like to obtain information on how to successfully obtain the right to work and stay in the U.K. I am a 40 year old u.s citizen with a Bachelor's degree, working full time. I'd like to go to the u.k to experience living & working for longer than 6 months! Can anyone tell me how I can remain in the uk and look for work at the same time? I do have family in Uk, and also a grandparent that was born there. However, and tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think U.S citizens can apply for the ancestry visa. Is that correct? It seems that immigrating from the u.s might be a difficult task. So, what would be the most practical and sucessfull way to go about it? It seems so complicated!

Any replies are appreciated! Thank You.

XXPEBXX Jul 31st 2004 9:16 pm

Hello

Look at following official government web site

_ Immigration & Nationality Directorate
... the Home Office we are responsible for Immigration control.We also consider applications for permission ... website will help you understand UK Immigration control and what your rights ...
www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/

Good luck

:beer:

JAJ Aug 1st 2004 12:14 am

Re: How Do I Obtain The Right To Work & Stay In UK?

US citizens can't apply for the ancestry visa. You need to be a citizen of a Commonwealth country (eg Canada).

If your grandparent was born in Northern Ireland (or Ireland) you could apply for Irish citizenship - with an Irish passport you could live freely in the UK and become a British citizen after 5 years residence.

If you can discover in your background eligibility for the passport of most other European countries, you can also live in the UK.

Otherwise, unless you can find a UK employer to sponsor you for a work permit , or unless you're wealthy enough to be a business or investor migrant to the UK, the realistic option remaining is the Highly Skilled Migrant Program.

Visit http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk

It's not that easy for US citizens to live in the UK. A lot of Brits would like to live in the US but can't, for pretty much the same reasons.

A more roundabout route to the UK might be migration to a Commonwealth nation like Canada. If you migrated to Canada (assuming you'd have a chance to qualify), you could become a Canadian citizen after three years (under current law) and then potentially apply for the UK Ancestry Visa as a Canadian citizen. Of course there's always the risk that because of a change to the law somewhere or your personal circumstances, the plan never works out - you'd have to accept that risk. You'd also have all the costs of establishing yourself in Canada, including tax issues.

Jeremy

Originally posted by plumpudding
I would like to obtain information on how to successfully obtain the right to work and stay in the U.K. I am a 40 year old u.s citizen with a Bachelor's degree, working full time. I'd like to go to the u.k to experience living & working for longer than 6 months! Can anyone tell me how I can remain in the uk and look for work at the same time? I do have family in Uk, and also a grandparent that was born there. However, and tell me if I'm wrong, but I don't think U.S citizens can apply for the ancestry visa. Is that correct? It seems that immigrating from the u.s might be a difficult task. So, what would be the most practical and sucessfull way to go about it? It seems so complicated!

Any replies are appreciated! Thank You.

Don Aug 1st 2004 6:09 pm

Re: How Do I Obtain The Right To Work & Stay In UK?

Originally posted by JAJ

It's not that easy for US citizens to live in the UK. A lot of Brits would like to live in the US but can't, for pretty much the same reasons.
Jeremy
Funny old world.

Probably if there were freedom of movement as regards living & working in USA/ UK for US/ UK citizens, the net result would be fairly neutral or at least positive economically for the country that got most migrants.

Why the hurdles?