British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   UK economy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/uk-economy-655209/)

creepycrawley Feb 17th 2010 2:58 am

UK economy

If you don't know, much debate has been raging on here about the UK's economy. There are those who firmly believe that the UK is, to put it in the words of Frazer from Dad's Army, ''doomed''. Others are more optimistic.

What do you think?

dunroving Feb 17th 2010 7:29 am

Re: UK economy

Originally Posted by creepycrawley (Post 8349270)
If you don't know, much debate has been raging on here about the UK's economy. There are those who firmly believe that the UK is, to put it in the words of Frazer from Dad's Army, ''doomed''. Others are more optimistic.

What do you think?

Anyone who thinks the economy is currently fine must be deluded, by any standard of a "fine economy" (unless you are including third world standards).

It's fine for some individuals (and maybe for the individual who responded fine, everything is lovely), but nationally, I can't find any sensible rationale to say it's "fine".

Fleaflyfloflum Feb 17th 2010 9:12 am

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 8349840)
Anyone who thinks the economy is currently fine must be deluded, by any standard of a "fine economy" (unless you are including third world standards).

It's fine for some individuals (and maybe for the individual who responded fine, everything is lovely), but nationally, I can't find any sensible rationale to say it's "fine".

And no.. it wasnt me :lol:

creepycrawley Feb 18th 2010 4:14 am

As no one has opted for ''the UK is doomed'' option thus far I assume that BAY, hereandthere and Renth have yet to offer their votes.

creepycrawley Feb 18th 2010 8:24 am

Aaah, we have a vote for ''doomed''.

I see hereandthere has been around.

johnh009 Feb 18th 2010 4:22 pm

What do you think?

If you go back to around to the early 1990s, Canada's debt was spiraling out of control but a change of government and some prudent fiscal changes changed all of that around. The same happened in New Zealand a couple of decades previously. If you extrapolate all of the information from the graphs, in the future, the UK will be populated entirely by retired civil servants so some drastic changes are required, especially in this area.

ExKiwilass Feb 18th 2010 8:39 pm

yeah, but, having lived through those changes in NZ, it was painful and difficult. Lots of people who formally had government jobs were out of work as the government cut spending and that hurt race relations among other thngs. Health spending was cut, we had to start paying for doctors apppointments, all that kinds of stuff effects your quality of life.

Was it the right thing? Yes. But it was not easy. Considering the way people on MBBTUK hark back fondly to the NHS and the easy welfare now, I don't think big cuts to those things are going to be popular.

But was it worth it? Yes. It took a long time, though, for things to improve.

renth Feb 19th 2010 2:02 am

Originally Posted by creepycrawley (Post 8353140)
As no one has opted for ''the UK is doomed'' option thus far I assume that BAY, hereandthere and Renth have yet to offer their votes.

Yup, just voted - "Doomed", natch.

creepycrawley Feb 19th 2010 2:03 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 8356357)

Nothing if not predictable.

creepycrawley Feb 19th 2010 2:04 am

Originally Posted by renth (Post 8356357)

And what's with ''natch''; are you a 19 year old?

renth Feb 19th 2010 2:34 am

Originally Posted by creepycrawley (Post 8356363)
And what's with ''natch''; are you a 19 year old?

Always trying to "start" aren't you?

johnh009 Feb 19th 2010 3:41 pm

What do you think?

Like anywhere, the UK has it's pros and cons. But look at the unfortunate people on this site in places such as Goa and Spain who have had their homes reposessed by incompetent and corrupt governments. In many cases, this was through no fault of their own and their life savings have gone up in smoke. I have moved all over the World and have yet to find Utopia.

pommybird Feb 19th 2010 4:03 pm

Please can we have a 'I don't give a stuff about the economy I want to live in the UK 'cos I love living here (and it's shed loads better than Perth Oz)' button.

Ta!

johnh009 Feb 19th 2010 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 8358173)
Please can we have a 'I don't give a stuff about the economy I want to live in the UK 'cos I love living here (and it's shed loads better than Perth Oz)' button.

Ta!

To be fair, I think we have different requirements at different times of our lives. Like I was, I think younger people may often be in search of adventure and/or opportunity which is a good thing. However, some find it, some do not. I stayed in Canada for 24 years because I always managed to find a good job here and am now regretting it because I could probably have done just as well in other places. No doubt, Canada is very comfortable but if it is the land of opportunity any more, I am not so sure.

creepycrawley Feb 21st 2010 2:00 am

Originally Posted by pommybird (Post 8358173)

Ta!

Should have thought of that!