British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Giving Notice to quit a job (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/giving-notice-quit-job-293931/)

Donniboo Apr 2nd 2005 5:23 pm

Giving Notice to quit a job

Can someone please tell me the legal position in Canada (BC) about quitting a job? If you don't have a contract do you have to give any notice? If I get offered a better paid job I will want to take it, as my current job doesn't pay enough to cover the bills, but I am worried that I will lose the better paid job if I have to work four weeks notice in my current job.
Any help/advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Donniboo

willmore Apr 2nd 2005 7:04 pm

Re: Giving Notice to quit a job

Originally Posted by Donniboo
Can someone please tell me the legal position in Canada (BC) about quitting a job? If you don't have a contract do you have to give any notice? If I get offered a better paid job I will want to take it, as my current job doesn't pay enough to cover the bills, but I am worried that I will lose the better paid job if I have to work four weeks notice in my current job.
Thanks
Donniboo

Hi Donniboo - depends on different variables. Here is my understanding but of course may be corrected if my info is wrong.

When you were hired did your employer not give you anything in writing about the stipulations of what was expected of you and outline the expectations of the businessd?

If you belong to a union, generally you should follow the union contract. Usually it's 2 weeks notice (so I understand from my friends belonging to several unions). I have a friend who belonged to a union and just walked out and didn't return to the job. She was lucky to get the money owing her from the days she worked.

If you don't belong to a union, it's my understand that its usually two weeks notice in writing. I understand that people usually give notice from pay week to the next pay week.

Of course if you are not obligated to a union contract you can just walk off the job. However remember if you are looking for a reference recommendation from the business, it is very unlikely you will receive one, unless you left "for cause".

Hope this helps you, please pm me if you like.

Hope everything is going well for you and you and your family had a terrific Easter....

yorkiebar99 Apr 2nd 2005 11:42 pm

i'm not too sure what the law is in Canada. I know in England they had to pay you for all your wages worked even if you didn't work your notice. I personally have never had a job so important that they would take legal action if you didn't work your notice.

I am unionised now and am required to give 2 weeks notice........but when i land another job, i will give my notice but have no intention of actually working it. All i have to do is tell them that i am working for the competition or i can just show up to work and not actually work at all...and they let you go and still pay you your notice. The company i work for will not give references(other than to say i worked from my start date to present so i have nothing to lose).

Honestly, I think whats best for you really depends on what line of work you are in as to what the outcome will be,
hope this helps......

congratulations on your new job.....if your current job can't even pay the bills
i think you gotta do what you gotta do!!!

Thanks
Donniboo

hot wasabi peas Apr 3rd 2005 6:12 am

Thanks
Donniboo

As far as I know and remember, legally in BC, employees do not have to give notice when quitting a job; they can just quit (and expect all the pay they are owed within 6 days). But it is normal and considerate to give two weeks notice, especially if you want to rely on that employer as a reference, keep them on good terms, show your new employer you're wouldn't just up and quit working for them, etc.

You can find a lot of info here:
http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/

Donniboo Apr 3rd 2005 6:03 pm

I haven't been offered another job... I am hoping that I will! Thanks to all of you for your advice. I wouldn't want to just leave my current job and cause them problems, they're nice people, but I wouldn't want to lose the chance of a better paid job if they needed me to start soon. I have been in the government 'pool' for three months now and am still hoping for that phone call...
Thanks again
Donniboo

thomas elliott Apr 4th 2005 1:31 am

I haven't been offered another job... I am hoping that I will! Thanks to all of you for your advice. I wouldn't want to just leave my current job and cause them problems, they're nice people, but I wouldn't want to lose the chance of a better paid job if they needed me to start soon. I have been in the government 'pool' for three months now and am still hoping for that phone call...
Thanks again
Donniboo

I think the best advise is to be honest and upfront with your current employer but do this after you have another job in place. If they are nice people then they will understand.
Unless you are in a very high position, it's not likely anyone is going to take legal action.
And besides, the bottom line is that you have to pay your bills.