British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   EURO (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/euro-758286/)

MrMckenna May 14th 2012 9:27 pm

EURO

On a serious note.... Im really starting to panic about this now, is anybody else or am I over reacting ? I have quite a lot of money changed into euro's it's shot upto 1.25 today and iv looked into changing it back into sterling and I'm going to lose a fortune. Just don't know what to do.

Domino May 14th 2012 9:31 pm

Re: EURO

Don't panic Mr Mannering

MrMckenna May 14th 2012 9:33 pm

Have you seen the news ? Lol

Domino May 14th 2012 9:40 pm

I have a Caixa savings account - almost empty
all my money is still in UK in Good Old British Pounds
and I transfer small amounts

so I got it right - by accident

:)

missile May 14th 2012 9:40 pm

I had thought they would reach a compromise, confidence would return and currency would stabilise. Now it seems the problems are only going to get worse.

Now I feel it is time to transfer my savings out of spain. I have decided to sell my euros and contacted my broker today. .

MrMckenna May 14th 2012 9:44 pm

What would actually happen if the euro does collapse ? Will I lose the lot ? Maybe its best I take the loss instead of losing it all then ?

Domino May 14th 2012 9:48 pm

something akin to the question "what happens when it goes off" before the first test of the Manhatten Project

the answer would have been "well we think we know, but can't be sure, so head between knees and hold tight"

:)

MrMckenna May 14th 2012 9:51 pm

Don't understand that 1 bit mate haha

anonimouse May 14th 2012 9:52 pm

I have emptied all my Spanish accounts to off shore companies promising good returns after having false promises (Been Conned by them), I just keep an account for day to day stuff.

Who knows what's best.

David Ike was right:p

EllisG May 14th 2012 9:56 pm

change it all into £'s... keep what you need in Spain and withdraw it all out of the bank as bagged coins.. worst case scenario you have got the scrap value of the metal which is always going to be worth more than bits of paper ;)

MrMckenna May 14th 2012 9:57 pm

What about putting it into a German bank account ? They will be the very last to go wouldn't they ? Suppose it don't really matter though because if the euro collapses it collapses its a nightmare this is really why didn't they just leave things alone in the first place instead of trying to fix something that wernt broken in the first place. We would all be much happier people if we was still spending pesetas!!

anonimouse May 14th 2012 10:08 pm

I doubt the Euro will go completely. You can choose your currency if you look off shore.

What would you choose?

MrMckenna May 14th 2012 10:10 pm

I couldn't say because I'm not too clued up on things like that. What about yourself ?

anonimouse May 14th 2012 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by MrMckenna (Post 10060398)
I couldn't say because I'm not too clued up on things like that. What about yourself ?

Euros and GBP (sterling). Europe's quite big should still be able to cash it in in France or Germany if it went in Spain, shouldn't we?

MrMckenna May 14th 2012 10:18 pm

Oh I see what your saying. Still going to lose no matter what I suppose. Maybe we should just have a wild party with all our euro's and just spend the lot b4 it crashes at least we can say we enjoyed ourselves ha