British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   The price of meat in Vancouver!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/price-meat-vancouver-684914/)

heidi40 Sep 10th 2010 11:26 pm

The price of meat in Vancouver!!

Hello again. I didn't realise how expensive it is to buy Lamb in Canada. A leg of lamb is around 62 CND. :confused:
Any suggestion to where to buy meat products in Vancouver?

PMM Sep 10th 2010 11:32 pm

Re: The price of meat in Vancouver!!

Hi

Originally Posted by heidi40 (Post 8840294)
Hello again. I didn't realise how expensive it is to buy Lamb in Canada. A leg of lamb is around 62 CND. :confused:

Bestway Meats, Slocan and Kingsway Vancouver. They bring in carcass beef, no "boxed beef" , great selection of fresh pork. They actually (at times) have fresh NZ lamb.

Oink Sep 10th 2010 11:36 pm

There's place in Granville Island market that will do you a leg of goat for around $40 depending on the size of course. Their lamb is about the same price but its local lamb and very tasty.

heidi40 Sep 10th 2010 11:47 pm

Thank you so much. :D

Oink Sep 10th 2010 11:57 pm

Its the butchers called Tenderland Meats. But depending on the size, sixty dollars doesn't seem too bad. I haven't bought meat in the UK for years but I wonder how much would non-frozen English lamb cost there?

JonboyE Sep 11th 2010 12:12 am

Scott Road - Delta/Surrey. The Fijian markets seem to have the best value lamb.

heidi40 Sep 11th 2010 1:20 am

We use to buy a whole leg of lamb (non-frozen) no more than 15 pounds. Trust me I always cook with lamb. The size of the leg wasn't huge.

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 8840344)
Its the butchers called Tenderland Meats. But depending on the size, sixty dollars doesn't seem too bad. I haven't bought meat in the UK for years but I wonder how much would non-frozen English lamb cost there?

Oink Sep 11th 2010 1:33 am

The cradles I know don't seem very keen on lamb so for just me it's not really worth it to get a whole leg. I buy it cubed to put in a curry and come think about it that costs me around twenty dollars. As I said earlier goat is a little cheaper but I don't find it as good as lamb. I suspect expensive lamb is one of the burdens you'll have to bear living in Canada.

Aviator Sep 11th 2010 1:44 am

Just got one in Costco for $25.

Chickens are outrageously priced though $25 for three. Problem is Chicken is done on quota, which keeps the price up.

The4BellsLondon Sep 11th 2010 4:00 am

Top farm market on Hastings as Nanaimo = v cheap asian butchers! Also cioffi's further along Hastings on The Heights - not bad prices.

ExKiwilass Sep 11th 2010 2:36 pm

The cradles don't like lamb as much as we do. We sometimes get a half a Salt Spring Island lamb for $100, organically grown, direct from farmer.

dboy Sep 11th 2010 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 8841186)
The cradles don't like lamb as much as we do. We sometimes get a half a Salt Spring Island lamb for $100, organically grown, direct from farmer.

amazing, they are evein "growing" lambs now!

ExKiwilass Sep 11th 2010 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by dboy (Post 8841305)
amazing, they are evein "growing" lambs now!

I knew someone was going to pick up on that! :rofl:

Back off, man. I'm not a morning person.

johngrimes Sep 12th 2010 12:03 am

^^^....shouldn't that be baaaaaaaaack off?;)

dboy Sep 12th 2010 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 8841488)
I knew someone was going to pick up on that! :rofl:

Back off, man. I'm not a morning person.

like a lamb to the slaughter