British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration, Visas & Citizenship (Australia) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/)
-   -   Masters degree on points system (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-visas-citizenship-australia-32/masters-degree-points-system-646282/)

Rob85 Dec 27th 2009 7:30 pm

Masters degree on points system

Hi. Just a general query...I am 24, and have both BA and MA degrees from British universities, and was wondering where these are factored in the points totals if I was looking to emigrate to Australia? The points tests that I have looked at mention "Australian qualifications", but would a UK qualification be considered as an equivalent? If anyone could help, that would be great. Thanks!

newjersey Dec 27th 2009 7:58 pm

Re: Masters degree on points system

Originally Posted by Rob85 (Post 8199631)
Hi. Just a general query...I am 24, and have both BA and MA degrees from British universities, and was wondering where these are factored in the points totals if I was looking to emigrate to Australia? The points tests that I have looked at mention "Australian qualifications", but would a UK qualification be considered as an equivalent? If anyone could help, that would be great. Thanks!

Australian qualification points are awarded for a degree gained from an Australian educational institution. All the points you get from any other overseas degrees are based on the occupation, in which you get yourself assessed as suitable for migration. Check the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) for the assessing authority for your occupation to see how many points you can get out of it.

NJ

Bermudashorts Dec 27th 2009 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Rob85 (Post 8199631)

You get points for having a positive skills assessment for an occupation on the skilled occupation list. For many occupations a degree will be necessary. But academic qualifications do not help with immigration by themselves, not without work experience and it is a bit meaningless to consider points.

JAJ Dec 29th 2009 12:59 am

As a general rule, a masters won't add anything more compared to a UK bachelors, except in certain specific professions.

Without knowing which occupation/profession you have in mind, it's hard to speculate.