British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Burj al Arab construction accident (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/burj-al-arab-construction-accident-784171/)

Patsy Stoned Jan 17th 2013 2:28 pm

Burj al Arab construction accident

I was talking to somebody about this the other day, they said it never happened!!
It was kept very quiet..here it is on youtube for anybody who hasn't seen or heard about it

Beakersful Jan 17th 2013 3:33 pm

Re: Burj al Arab construction accident

It'll be alright. Just give it a few whacks with a hammer, a new lick of paint and stick it back on top again :)

Boomhauer Jan 17th 2013 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Beakersful (Post 10489165)
It'll be alright. Just give it a few whacks with a hammer, a new lick of paint and stick it back on top again :)

"That'll buff right out":D

On a serious note, any shoddy/ugly workmanship can be covered up with Aluminium panelling or plaster and paint, and none will be the wiser....until shit starts delaminating / breaking off.

weasel decentral Jan 18th 2013 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10489237)
"That'll buff right out":D

On a serious note, any shoddy/ugly workmanship can be covered up with Aluminium panelling or plaster and paint, and none will be the wiser....until shit starts delaminating / breaking off.

On a similarly serious note most structural work is covered up with cladding or plaster, there are very few exposed structure buildings.
Without defending the construction industry too much, we are all not in a giant conspiracy to provide as shoddy a job as possible then cover it up. :lol:

Millhouse Jan 18th 2013 9:06 am

I think this video is a clever fake. Why were they filming it? why is the video so stable and good quality - it would have to been a professional camera to get that image quality back then.

Of course, these accidents happen all the time on building sites - I just don't believe that this happened...

Sandboy Jan 18th 2013 9:11 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10490522)
I think this video is a clever fake. Why were they filming it? why is the video so stable and good quality - it would have to been a professional camera to get that image quality back then.

Of course, these accidents happen all the time on building sites - I just don't believe that this happened...

the whole thing was filmed for discover channel, the little fella running for his life suggests it's real to me

and experience on sites there tells me it's 100% possible

Patsy Stoned Jan 18th 2013 10:18 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10490522)

Darling, it did happen. Watch the crash and the dust and the debris falling in the water. Also the guys running for their lives in the last part of the drop.

calipso Jan 18th 2013 10:47 am

I was at the site the day before the accident and in one of the major subbies factories the day it happened so didn't actually see the boom crash down.
The footage doesn't show how windy it really was that day.

flares Jan 18th 2013 10:52 am

Nowt to worry about...that's the French one

Boomhauer Jan 18th 2013 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 10490595)
Darling, it did happen. Watch the crash and the dust and the debris falling in the water. Also the guys running for their lives in the last part of the drop.

...and the reaction from men on the ground up close to the cameraman. I thin one of them says to stop filming. One chap is ushering away people.Ofcourse the upclose filming of men on the ground could have been spliced in from an unrelated incident....but that still doesn't account for the men/man running away in the distant shot.

OleJanx Jan 18th 2013 12:27 pm

Of course it's all fake. Nothing bad ever happens in the Emirates....

Patsy Stoned Jan 18th 2013 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 10490798)
Of course it's all fake. Nothing bad ever happens in the Emirates....

Very true darling :D

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 19th 2013 5:16 pm

Crazy. Never knew that happened (obviously)