British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Buying furniture in Riyadh (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/buying-furniture-riyadh-752148/)

Ian W Mar 20th 2012 7:38 am

Buying furniture in Riyadh

Hi all,

Just got myself a nice 1 bedroom in Riyadh and now i have to furnish it, inc. kitchen appliances.

Can anyone tell me where the furniture shop area and the electric/appliances area is?

There is always Ikea for furniture, i am not looking for anything too expensive as i don't really know who long i will be staying and my company might squeal if it is to expensive (they are not the most generous financially)I think i can furnish the place for about 10,000 riyal, is only bedroom stuff, sofa, coffee table, cabinet, tv, cooker and fridge.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

cheers,

Ian

DesertOcean Mar 20th 2012 1:26 pm

Re: Buying furniture in Riyadh

Haraj, Riyadh...do a google. Ring road ext 22. Large second hand/flea market for everything under the sun. Popular with expats especially friday afternoons. You will also find new shops in the same area selling ALL things to kit a house. A lot of stuff is typical OT but if you have a good eye you will spot many things comparable to Ikea in style but cheaper and probably made a whole lot better. Plus, once you're done shopping, there are many drivers with trucks waiting to deliver your items and will arrange extra labour if you need something put together or installed like kitchen cabinets. Remember to bargain, always bargain.

Alexa Mar 20th 2012 5:15 pm

Haraj in Riyadh is AWESOME ! Got myself some super stuff there!
I wish we had one here...

Ian W Mar 21st 2012 5:29 am

Great thanks guys,

I have heard about this place, am off there this morning :) fingers crossed i get what i need, looking forward to moving out if the hotel.

Desert Shaikh Mar 21st 2012 3:35 pm

You can try King Abdullah Road, starting from the junction off Othman Ibn Affan Road, some shops there have large discounts on furniture.

As for electrical appliances, I would reccomend Extra. They also have a repair division, in case the warranted appliance goes faulty you can take in back to the same store.

Ian W Mar 22nd 2012 5:41 am

Thanks all for the help, in the end i got the cooker/washing machine/fridge/tv from an electronics shop in Haraj al Gassim all for 3,050 inc. delivery (after checking Extra, Lulu, Panda, Carrefour and various other electronics places in Batha and surroundings) I bought a bed in Ikea as the other place the beds were horrendously ugly with plastic diamonds and faux leather headboards etc. the rest of the furniture i will pick up bit by bit. As long as i can eat and sleep it will do me for now.