British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Sky TV/ Satellite changes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/sky-tv-satellite-changes-765412/)

Loco Pedro Jul 18th 2012 9:39 am

Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Changes are imminent for British TV viewers via Astra.

http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/newsat.htm

Doesn't affect me. I don't have a mini Jodrell Bank dish in my garden !

Chiclanagir Jul 18th 2012 9:46 am

Re: Sky TV/ Satellite changes

Does this mean that nobody in Spain will be able to get a signal?

snikpoh Jul 18th 2012 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 10179044)
Does this mean that nobody in Spain will be able to get a signal?

I think what it's saying is the signal may only be received with big dishes, may be for less time and may be far better in the north.

Who really knows 'till it goes live.

BAT7311 Jul 18th 2012 12:01 pm

oh lot worse then that ......they will be using ´spot beams´´ for the first time
so if bbc1 in england is using freq 12.345 then its possible in spain on that exact frequency you will get a different channel .....here in tenerife we have no hope as we might be 3 ´spots´away from the uk one....same systemas used by mobile phone towers ´´cells´´...

Dick Dasterdly Jul 18th 2012 12:56 pm

Just received a letter from Sky to say that the monthly sub is going up by 1.50.

This is accompanied by a booklet which says on the first page that the latest and best things come with Sky at no extra cost. :confused:

BAT7311 Jul 18th 2012 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 10179351)
Just received a letter from Sky to say that the monthly sub is going up by 1.50.

This is accompanied by a booklet which says on the first page that the latest and best things come with Sky at no extra cost. :confused:

must have g4s printing it :thumbup:

Chiclanagir Jul 18th 2012 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 10179351)

Mine has gone up by 2.40 per month. I am sure Sky know that they are getting a lot of business from ex-pats but choose to ignore it. They may now lose a lot of business.

dorishaslop Jul 18th 2012 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir (Post 10179358)
Mine has gone up by 2.40 per month. I am sure Sky know that they are getting a lot of business from ex-pats but choose to ignore it. They may now lose a lot of business.

Mines gone up too, I'm going to cancel in October when the contract expires.. don't watch much on Sky anyway. I'll stick with the freeview and if that doesn't work I can always watch itv player to catch up with my soaps etc.
:thumbdown::frown:

jimenato Jul 18th 2012 1:19 pm

... waits for The Guy who will tell us what is actually going to happen ...

lyric030250 Jul 18th 2012 3:14 pm

Astra 2F, the replacement for the current satellite, Astra 1N, is scheduled for Launch on September 14th.
I expect that it will be moved into position and then tested.
It is the same platform as the current satellite so therefore will be the same power output. The difference will be how sharp the cut off will be i.e. how sharp the UK spot beam is, and indeed how sharp the broadcasters and manufacturers want it to be.
The satellite before 1N, Astra 2D, was on a UK spot beam and that was received fairly well in Spain, however technology has improved and in reality only the broadcasters and satellite manufacturer know roughly what to expect.
We can only wait and see, it's not long until Christmas when changes should be apparent.

Fredbargate Jul 18th 2012 3:24 pm

Has satellite TV run it's course

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/no-dish-no-...025420654.html

lyric030250 Jul 18th 2012 3:27 pm

In the UK maybe, not in Spain, and certainly not in the Campo !

Fredbargate Jul 18th 2012 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by lyric050203 (Post 10179579)
In the UK maybe, not in Spain, and certainly not in the Campo !

With the increase in broadband service / speed, TV over the web is probably the future.
Therefore no need to launch or service expensive satellites, better to invest the money in fibre optics. Easier to control and easier to maintain,more services, more profit? more competition?

Remember as far as Sky is concerned you are in UK

Domino Jul 18th 2012 3:54 pm

don't forget that the internet is multi-directional and endeavours to find a route to the destination by alternatives as well as the primary

one of the major routes for the internet isnt landline but satellite.......

many backbone installers/operators such as BT, Telefonica et al are still charging over the odds to those using their copper and fibre.

BAT7311 Jul 18th 2012 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 10179382)
... waits for The Guy who will tell us what is actually going to happen ...

all the bbc/itv channel are watchable on the internet . i watch em on a 46in tv ...with 5mb connection