British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/just-became-usa-citizen-however-now-usa-passport-have-uk-passport-travel-canada-644662/)

mrfoxy76 Dec 13th 2009 8:00 pm

just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Canada

i am wondering how this will play out anyone else had a similar experience?

i am traveling to canada tomorrow for work for 3 days.

i just became a usa citizen a week ago and have my certificate, no usa passport yet.

i am also a citizen of the uk with a passport

when i became a citizen they took away my green card.

i will have to re enter the usa with my uk passport and show them my certificate?

lansbury Dec 13th 2009 8:07 pm

Re: just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Can

No you will have to get a US passport before you can travel. Now you are a citizen you may only leave and enter the USA with an American passport.

What will happen if you try your plan I do not have a clue. You can go to a passport office and get a US passport the same day.

mrfoxy76 Dec 13th 2009 8:11 pm

Re: just became usa citizen however now usa passport, have uk passport travel to Can

if it is going to be an issue i will just reenter on my uk passport

chartreuse Dec 13th 2009 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by mrfoxy76 (Post 8169587)
if it is going to be an issue i will just reenter on my uk passport

No! Lansbury has just explained that attempting to reenter on your UK passport is what will cause any issues.

lansbury Dec 13th 2009 8:31 pm

8 U.S.C. sec. 1185(b).

(b) Citizens
Except as otherwise provided by the President and subject to such
limitations and exceptions as the President may authorize and
prescribe, it shall be unlawful for any citizen of the United
States to depart from or enter, or attempt to depart from or enter,
the United States unless he bears a valid United States passport.

I've not done the crossing into Canada but if you use your UK passport will someone not be looking for the valid I-94 issued when you used it to enter the US. If that is the case will you not start to encounter problems then when you have to explain why you don't have one.

mrfoxy76 Dec 13th 2009 8:38 pm

I will let you know how it plays out leaving tomorrow

return, hopefully, wed

lansbury Dec 13th 2009 8:41 pm

Good start been a citizen a week and breaking the law already :rofl:

lansbury Dec 13th 2009 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by mrfoxy76 (Post 8169626)

return, hopefully, wed

It seems the maximum you can get is 10 years imprisonment if I read the regulations correctly. It will be very interesting to know what in practical terms the actual outcome and problems are.

Mummy in the foothills Dec 13th 2009 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 8169631)

:rofl:

nettlebed Dec 13th 2009 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 8169651)
It seems the maximum you can get is 10 years imprisonment if I read the regulations correctly. It will be very interesting to know what in practical terms the actual outcome and problems are.

And where the OP ends up posting from :rofl:

Jerseygirl Dec 13th 2009 9:25 pm

return, hopefully, wed

If you're just going to do it anyway I don't understand why you asked.:confused:

Bob Dec 13th 2009 9:33 pm

It's all a bit daft when you can get a passport pretty quickly....

chartreuse Dec 13th 2009 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by lansbury (Post 8169631)

:rofl:

He's fitting right in. Next thing you know, he'll have his very own crack house and be running a stable of brasses.:lol:

BritishGuy36 Dec 13th 2009 10:04 pm

return, hopefully, wed

You're an idiot.

mrfoxy76 Dec 13th 2009 11:08 pm

Thanks for the constructive response