British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   How long does it take to get PR card after Landing? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/how-long-does-take-get-pr-card-after-landing-523467/)

Dr.T Mar 21st 2008 7:39 pm

How long does it take to get PR card after Landing?

My Partner and I are intending to put our house up for sale here in the UK in April/May with an anticipated closing date around early Sept. In the meantime we intend to Land in early July. How long does it take for Immigration to process and issue the PR card? The reason I ask is that I've heard it takes anything from 4 to 8+ weeks and we don't want to have closed on our house and still not have our PR cards!!

Any advice on this issue would be greatfully received!

Dr.T

PMM Mar 21st 2008 7:52 pm

Re: How long does it take to get PR card after Landing?

Hi

Originally Posted by Dr.T (Post 6094251)
My Partner and I are intending to put our house up for sale here in the UK in April/May with an anticipated closing date around early Sept. In the meantime we intend to Land in early July. How long does it take for Immigration to process and issue the PR card? The reason I ask is that I've heard it takes anything from 4 to 8+ weeks and we don't want to have closed on our house and still not have our PR cards!!

Any advice on this issue would be greatfully received!

Dr.T

CIC says 30 days.

lof Mar 21st 2008 8:01 pm

i don't see the connection between house sale and pr-card. :confused::confused:

your permanent resident status is activated at the time of landing. the pr-card is "only" a proof that you are canadian pr which can be requested by the airline (to be sure that they don't need to take you back because you don't have a valid status in canada) - the immigration / customs officer has other means to check your status at the time of reentering canada. assuming you are british citizen or have a passport from another visa waiver country the possibility that you face hurdles at the boarding of your canada bound flight without your pr-card is pretty small.

and about your original question:
cic talks about 30 days for new pr-cards: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...in.asp#pr_card
but the timeline really varies. there are some time lines in this thread: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...card+time+line

Dr.T Mar 22nd 2008 2:59 pm

Many thanks for your help. I've put the relevant page from the CIC website on my 'favourites' screen for future reference. The reason I had an issue with the timing of the sale/closing of our house is that living out of Canada we are giving our immigration lawyer's office address as the destination for the PR cards and they'll forward them to our residence in the UK IF we have a house address to send them too!!

Dr.T

JAJ Mar 22nd 2008 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dr.T (Post 6097080)
Many thanks for your help. I've put the relevant page from the CIC website on my 'favourites' screen for future reference. The reason I had an issue with the timing of the sale/closing of our house is that living out of Canada we are giving our immigration lawyer's office address as the destination for the PR cards and they'll forward them to our residence in the UK IF we have a house address to send them too!!

Dr.T

Why can't the lawyer forward them to a relative or friend in the U.K.?

PS hope he uses a courier.

Dr.T Mar 22nd 2008 6:07 pm

Yes he has always used a courier. Our fallback is to use son/neighbour's place as fall back in the event our house closes before we're in receipt of PR cards.

Maple Leaf Mar 23rd 2008 1:51 pm

i had my PR card within 2 weeks!

Dr.T Mar 23rd 2008 2:51 pm

My - That IS fast! Was it mailed directly to you in Canada tho'? Ours has to come from CHC London to Immigration lawyer in Vancouver back to us in the UK so it'll take rather longer. Nice to know that CIC is so efficient tho'!!

britsnake Mar 23rd 2008 3:56 pm

Why would your PR card be coming from CHC in London?

As far as I was aware, once you land, everything else is dealt with from within Canada.

lof Mar 23rd 2008 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Dr.T (Post 6100493)
My - That IS fast! Was it mailed directly to you in Canada tho'? Ours has to come from CHC London to Immigration lawyer in Vancouver back to us in the UK so it'll take rather longer. Nice to know that CIC is so efficient tho'!!

if i haven't got that completely wrong and very generally speaking: once you've landed as a pr you're out of the immigration office of chc london's jurisdiction.
there is one single cic office who handles the pr-card business: cpc sydney, nova scotia, canada. :blink:

btw, (and sorry if i repeat myself) assuming that you have a visa waiver passport (and therefore don't necessarily need the pr card for the journey): have you considered to apply for the pr-card once you move here for good?
if you tell the immigration officer at landing that you haven't a definitive address in canada yet you'll get a form to send them once you have it. and just from the top of my head (no time to do a thorough research today, sorry. you might want to read the official guide) up to 180 days from your landing there isn't a fee involved in that. after that it costs.

hope i didn't confuse you any further with that.:wub:

QPRanger Mar 23rd 2008 7:19 pm

My memory may be a bit sketchy but we had to give an address in Canada when we landed, to the immigration officer & on the form for P.R cards.

lof Mar 23rd 2008 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by QPRanger (Post 6101205)
My memory may be a bit sketchy but we had to give an address in Canada when we landed, to the immigration officer & on the form for P.R cards.

;) me too. but i've been living here for nearly two years before i became pr.

since they don't accept p.o. addresses, not everyone has friends or relatives in canada, and the rules in theory allow to land and turn around at the airport... there must be an option to give them the address later. i know about people who have done it.

Frequently asked questions:
Permanent Resident Card

I am immigrating to Canada. When will I receive my Permanent Resident Card?

You should receive your card within four weeks of officially entering the country as an immigrant. If you do not have a mailing address when you arrive in Canada, you must provide your address to Citizen and Immigration Canada (CIC) as soon as possible by contacting the Call Centre (see Contact Us at the top of this page). You will receive your card about four weeks after you give your address to CIC.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...card-faq02.asp
haven't found the 180 day thing yet - but i definitely run out of time right now.

Maple Leaf Mar 24th 2008 12:19 am

Originally Posted by Maple Leaf (Post 6100289)
i had my PR card within 2 weeks!

yes it was all done within canada..however..it does give the facts that the times can vary...*S*...sometimes it can be fast..:)