British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Portugal (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/)
-   -   Evora (https://britishexpats.com/forum/portugal-89/evora-768554/)

PaulaC Aug 16th 2012 8:30 pm

Evora

Hi,
I'm hoping that somebody will reply to this post. My husband is about to be transferred to work in Evora, he is a UK national. Are there many/any British expats in this area? He is looking for long term (at least a year)rental of an unfurnished apartment/house within 15 miles of the city, two/three bedroomed so that we can visit him.
I do hope that I get some replies to this as I know he will speak only a little basic Portuguese on his arrival.
Paula

gedscottish Aug 17th 2012 8:47 am

Re: Evora

With the lack of replies... seems like there can't be many in that area, although you may get replies yet!

Here all threads on here with "Evora" in them...
http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...archid=4069552

steve01 Aug 17th 2012 11:11 am

Hi Paula,
I was in Evora yesterday - lots of people speak some english or french who live / work there.
Evora is a lovely town, lots of history and really nice friendly people (typical of the Alentejo) - not many foreigners there however - except tourists.
It is however a large medical centre / student town so there are lots of rental oportunities.
ww.evora-evora.olx.pt/casa-partamento-para-aluguer-cat-363
try this website - add a 'w' to the front - not allowed to post websites here and it will give you an idea of rental possibilities
Best of luck

Cleri Aug 17th 2012 11:41 am

Originally Posted by steve01 (Post 10232013)
Hi Paula,
I was in Evora yesterday - lots of people speak some english or french who live / work there.
Evora is a lovely town, lots of history and really nice friendly people (typical of the Alentejo) - not many foreigners there however - except tourists.
It is however a large medical centre / student town so there are lots of rental oportunities.
try this website - add a 'w' to the front - not allowed to post websites here and it will give you an idea of rental possibilities
Best of luck

You can post websites yanno (If you are an established contributor to the forum,which you are)

steve01 Aug 17th 2012 12:04 pm

www.cleri-inthebuff.com :)

thanks for the info

Cleri Aug 17th 2012 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by steve01 (Post 10232099)
www.cleri-inthebuff.com :)

thanks for the info

:lol:

Alqui_Ana Aug 18th 2012 1:11 am

Hi Paula,

We have a property for long term rental near Évora that might suit your husband's needs.
Please PM me as I cannot write my personal e-mail here, otherwise my posts won't be tolerated by the moderators...

Thank you!

Ana

Squidlydidly Aug 18th 2012 6:01 am

Originally Posted by steve01 (Post 10232099)

2,0000 hits, and counting :p

PaulaC Aug 18th 2012 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Alqui_Ana (Post 10233110)
Hi Paula,

We have a property for long term rental near Évora that might suit your husband's needs.
Please PM me as I cannot write my personal e-mail here, otherwise my posts won't be tolerated by the moderators...

Thank you!

Ana

Thanks for this Ana but it would appear that I can't private message you until I have had three posts! Am working on this problem and will get back to you.

PaulaC Aug 18th 2012 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by steve01 (Post 10232013)
Hi Paula,
Best of luck

Thank you very much for this helpful information although I fear that my husband will be the only British man in Evora as I have had no replies from British ex-pats living within the area. The website is very useful though and certainly makes me feel a little more positive.

Alqui_Ana Aug 18th 2012 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by PaulaC (Post 10233977)
Thanks for this Ana but it would appear that I can't private message you until I have had three posts! Am working on this problem and will get back to you.

Same problem here Paula:(...Hopefully after this post I'll be able to read the private message that I think you've sent me.

Anyway, if it doesn't work, please send me a text message with your e-mail address so that we can exchange messages trhough e-mail service.

My number is: plus three five one nine one seven seven six five one nine four.

Thank you and sorry for this "alternative" way of communication...

Hope to get a text message from you soon!:)

Kind regards,

Ana

Cleri Aug 18th 2012 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Squidlydidly (Post 10233277)
2,0000 hits, and counting :p

I demand royalties :D

DublinLassie Aug 19th 2012 10:29 am

While I don't live in Evora, I visit regularly, at least monthly, often more. It's a beautiful city, and is situated in a beautiful part of the Alentejo. As with anyone moving here, your husband should make learning the language a high priority but, in the meantime he will get by in Evora. It's a university city with a diverse population, although mostly Portuguese. In the shops and many restaurants and bars, he will be understood.

I assume that if he is being transferred here, his employer will pay hotel bills for a reasonable period until he gets sorted. My advice for your hubby to do that and get a feel for the general area before signing a rental lease. He will have no problem finding somewhere suitable to rent. There are a number of agencies and once here, in Portugal, he will hear of lots of properties being let privately. People will be queuing up to let a property to him.

PaulaC Aug 19th 2012 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by DublinLassie (Post 10234827)
While I don't live in Evora, I visit regularly, at least monthly, often more. It's a beautiful city, and is situated in a beautiful part of the Alentejo. As with anyone moving here, your husband should make learning the language a high priority but, in the meantime he will get by in Evora. It's a university city with a diverse population, although mostly Portuguese. In the shops and many restaurants and bars, he will be understood.

I assume that if he is being transferred here, his employer will pay hotel bills for a reasonable period until he gets sorted. My advice for your hubby to do that and get a feel for the general area before signing a rental lease. He will have no problem finding somewhere suitable to rent. There are a number of agencies and once here, in Portugal, he will hear of lots of properties being let privately. People will be queuing up to let a property to him.

Thanks very much for this helpful, positive message. His company will be arranging some language lessons for him and I hear that there are some useful translator apps now available. I have been sent some rental websites to look at via the forum and we are beginning to feel less daunted by his move. He will be in a hotel for a month and that should give him time to look around the local areas. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

isdoo Aug 14th 2013 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by PaulaC (Post 10231114)
Hi,
I'm hoping that somebody will reply to this post. My husband is about to be transferred to work in Evora, he is a UK national. Are there many/any British expats in this area? He is looking for long term (at least a year)rental of an unfurnished apartment/house within 15 miles of the city, two/three bedroomed so that we can visit him.
I do hope that I get some replies to this as I know he will speak only a little basic Portuguese on his arrival.
Paula

How are you/he doing?

We are looking to rent for 6 months in Portugal and stumbled across Evora - looks a nice area and hopefully has some decent internet.

We were looking at the eastern Algarve, but somewhere like Evora would allow us to look around a large area of Portugal / Spain.

Seems to be some properties to rent, so fingers crossed that if we decide to go here that we can find something.