British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   cost of living per month sydney (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cost-living-per-month-sydney-755665/)

cyber_drac Apr 21st 2012 3:40 am

cost of living per month sydney

Hi,
I am Sri Lankan, currently working in Boston - USA as a software engineer and I will be moving to Sydney in this August with a 175 PR visa. How much do i need to spend for Accommodation, Food, Internet and Public Transport per month? Rough estimate is more than enough.
Thanks.
:)

Bermudashorts Apr 21st 2012 5:01 am

Re: cost of living per month sydney

In a month you might spend $1,000 on accommodation or perhaps $8000! Have a look at www.domain.com.au to get an idea of prices for the type of rental you want. Internet maybe $100, public transport really depends where you live but maybe $100 - $250. Food depends on how much you eat and what you like to eat.

Beoz Apr 21st 2012 7:33 am

Originally Posted by cyber_drac (Post 10017620)
Hi,
I am Sri Lankan, currently working in Boston - USA as a software engineer and I will be moving to Sydney in this August with a 175 PR visa. How much do i need to spend for Accommodation, Food, Internet and Public Transport per month? Rough estimate is more than enough.
Thanks.

In a place like Sydney that is a hard question to answer as BS suggested. BS suggested $100 per month on internet - I pay $40. Everyone will have different costs and the cost of essentials can vary wildly. To give you an indication what I pay - Accom-$3000 per month (and I could do a lot better yet I would be sacrificing my living standard) Food-$300, Public T-$25.

cyber_drac Apr 21st 2012 9:20 am

Thanks! I know it is a very hard question to answer since cost of living very much change person to person. Since I am coming without my wife for the first visit, If I assume 3500 - 4000 USD per month as total expense per month, would that be realistic?

bra_boy Apr 21st 2012 11:52 am

Eastern suburbs (accommodation dwarves all other costs)

Food: $60pw (western diet, shopping around).
Unfurnished apartment (say 1BR) $400pw. Room in flatshare $250pw
Internet: $10pw (TPG is OK).
Public transport: $50-80pw.

Beoz Apr 22nd 2012 3:00 am

Originally Posted by cyber_drac (Post 10017850)
Thanks! I know it is a very hard question to answer since cost of living very much change person to person. Since I am coming without my wife for the first visit, If I assume 3500 - 4000 USD per month as total expense per month, would that be realistic?

You've just been given 3 varying opinions. You need to work it out from there. An exact answer will not be forthcoming.

cyber_drac Apr 22nd 2012 3:16 am

I agreed and thanks a lot!

commonwealth Apr 22nd 2012 4:41 am

i can survive on $1000-2000 a month in sydney. single and low maintenance. :D

Bermudashorts Apr 22nd 2012 6:12 am

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 10018924)
i can survive on $1000-2000 a month in sydney. single and low maintenance. :D

Do you couch surf?

Bikergirl Apr 22nd 2012 7:20 am

Our monthly outgoings in Sydney are in the region of $5000 per month - rent/tv/phones/internet/weekly food shopping/lunchs/coffees/pet costs etc. That isn't scrimping on anything - eating out/takeouts on a regular basis, though we made the choice to live further inland to get the larger house/garden rather than getting a tiny place close to the beach. I am a 30minute train commute into the CBD (pay $500 every 3 months for a multi ticket), we dont pay fuel as husband gets a work fuel card, and out car payments are covered by his car allowance.

On that amount of spend - we save $2500+ each month as well. We could save at lot more if we really wanted to and watch the pennies a lot closer but we chose not too.

DhakaBoy Apr 22nd 2012 7:51 am

Originally Posted by cyber_drac (Post 10017620)
Hi,
Thanks.

Hi cyber_drac. There is a large Sri Lankan community living in Sydney's Homebush area where you can easily rent, if you prefer, a 2-bed unit for around $400 per week or $1,733 per month. Electricity bill for 1 person should not be more than $100 per month. Average grocery should be around $500. For commute to CBD by train/bus and unlimited travel within metropolitan area, you can buy a quarterly MyMulti2 costing around $178 per month. If you drive, budget for around $350 per month, all running costs prorated. Internet, home phone and mobile package, if you buy all from the same provider such as TPG, should not cost more than $100 per month. Allocate around $30K for initial expenses (used car, basic furniture, white goods, utensils, bond etc etc) if you are coming without a job, but less if you have a job waiting. Eating out in half-decent places will cost you around $30 per meal, per person. If you are in a suit-boot-tie kind of job, keep around $70 per month for laundry. Hope it helps.

commonwealth Apr 22nd 2012 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 10018996)
Do you couch surf?

:confused:

Bermudashorts Apr 22nd 2012 8:28 am

Originally Posted by commonwealth (Post 10019126)
:confused:

Do you have a fixed abode?

Even somebody flatsharing surely needs more than $1k a month.

commonwealth Apr 22nd 2012 8:30 am

it's a secret :)

cyber_drac Apr 22nd 2012 12:56 pm

I must say thank you to all of you. Every single comment is very valuable for me to plan my journey to Sydney,Australia.