WOW internet?

Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:12 pm
Forum Regular

isdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really nice
Default WOW internet?

Hi,

We are currently struggling to find long term rental in the East Algarve for a 6 month period.

One of our problems is that we must have the internet for work, and so this limits us greatly.

We have found something called WOW internet.

Is this something that as foreigners we could sign up to? If so how, or maybe we could go through someone. Even happy to pay for the full contract up front if it secured it at decent speed.

What is their coverage like?

This might solve our problems and mean that we could look for any property if we could get one of these and simply plug it in.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Ian
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:37 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WOW internet?

You can buy a PAYG dongle that will give you mobile internet at any phone shop, there are a number of networks and deals available.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

isdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really niceisdoo is just really nice

We will be there for 6 months and will require connection on multiple devices in the property, so mobile internet whilst good for out and about is not really what we need for a fast connection at home.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

If you're more bothered about speed and reliability than anything else you should consider Bentley Walker Tooway. http://www.bentley-walker.com/tooway/
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

roadislandred is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by isdoo
Hi,

We are currently struggling to find long term rental in the East Algarve for a 6 month period.

One of our problems is that we must have the internet for work, and so this limits us greatly.

We have found something called WOW internet.

Is this something that as foreigners we could sign up to? If so how, or maybe we could go through someone. Even happy to pay for the full contract up front if it secured it at decent speed.

What is their coverage like?

Have you managed to find somewhere yet? If not please get back to me as we have a small farmhouse/villa that should be ready in September.

This might solve our problems and mean that we could look for any property if we could get one of these and simply plug it in.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Ian
Have you managed to find anywhere yet? If not, please get in touch with me as we have a small farmhouse/villa with internet.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mfesharne
If you're more bothered about speed and reliability than anything else you should consider Bentley Walker Tooway. http://www.bentley-walker.com/tooway/
Thanks - did look at them - not sure an owner would want me erecting a satellite on their property - but it is an option

I would have thought that in today's age, getting a property with internet would be pretty simple. After all surely it would be attractive to most guests who are looking to even rent for a week.

Unless internet is rare in the south of Spain/Portugal - something I find hard to believe.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 8:38 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Internet usuage is very wide spread in Portugal and particularly in the Algarve but mainly via phone lines or cable.
Speeds are "low " by UK standards. Unless you can find a property supported by the fibre optic network.
Rental properties may not have phone or cable installed as many guests will use the local free wi fi network or use a dongle.
If you need a reliable and fast connection then one of the Sat networks may be the way forward.
I am sure that some property owners would be happy for you to pay for equipment and then use it once you have left.
Old Aug 16th 2013, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

I think you are confused. My buddy has a W tattoo on each buttock and when he bends down we all see WoW.

Last edited by Ukkram; Aug 16th 2013 at 6:00 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

sangerm is an unknown quantity at this point

Ian

Wow internet details can be found here:

www.wow.pt

It is essentially a 4G mobile telephone connection offered by Optimus (EE have a similar offering in the UK). If you log on to the site you can check the coverage by entering in your postcode. I suspect though that it will not be able to tell you if there is likely to be a particular problem with the mobile signal in your house. I would recommend that you discuss what their return policy would be if the signal is very bad.

I personally think its a good package, particularly as its unlimited data. A lot of the 4G packages have restrictions.

I see it comes with a Alcatel Y800 wifi router. This is pretty basic but should do if you just want to surf the internet from a few devices.

Mike
Old Aug 19th 2013, 1:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: WOW internet?

Absolutely check the returns policy, especially with a 4G product. My new neighbour here in East Algarve bought a 4G product for the TNM network after a demo in Forum Algarve. It didn't work when he got home and after some time on the phone to their support centre it transpired that the 4G signal is not good enough, despite what the salesperson said. A postcode check on their website confirmed this fact.

He got a full refund and bought this http://www.vodafone.pt/main/Particul...bile_wi-fi.htm
on the Vodafone 3G network and he gets over 10MBps download plus there are some decent tariffs at first glance.

I've been stuck on 3.6MBps through my SAPO landline for years.

Good luck

Last edited by scrubbedexpat008; Aug 19th 2013 at 1:16 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2013, 1:39 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: WOW internet?

Originally Posted by GRC
Absolutely check the returns policy, especially with a 4G product. My new neighbour here in East Algarve bought a 4G product for the TNM network after a demo in Forum Algarve. It didn't work when he got home and after some time on the phone to their support centre it transpired that the 4G signal is not good enough, despite what the salesperson said. A postcode check on their website confirmed this fact.

He got a full refund and bought this http://www.vodafone.pt/main/Particul...bile_wi-fi.htm
on the Vodafone 3G network and he gets over 10MBps download plus there are some decent tariffs at first glance.

I've been stuck on 3.6MBps through my SAPO landline for years.

Good luck
This is a Huawei MiFI pebble. You can but one of these unlocked to any provider from Amazon in the UK (TP-Link and Huawei are popular.... I have the TP-Link one).

Then get yourself a mobile internet SIM in Portugal - whichever company/option offers you the best cost/functionality, put it in the MiFi and it will support up to 10 devices ..... smartphone, tablet, laptop, anything that can pick up a WiFi signal.......
Old Sep 1st 2013, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

nigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nicenigel.b is just really nice

Be aware of this, which I have discovered to my cost.

Companies advertise plans as 'trafego ilimitado' (unlimited downloads) when the reality is that after 15GB a month your speed slows to the point where it's touch and go whether you can even send an e-mail. This condition does not even appear in the formal contract you sign.

There seems to be no equivalent of the Advertising Standards Authority in the UK which might stop them blatantly misleading consumers. Caveat emptor.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 8:41 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by isdoo
Thanks - did look at them - not sure an owner would want me erecting a satellite on their property - but it is an option

I would have thought that in today's age, getting a property with internet would be pretty simple. After all surely it would be attractive to most guests who are looking to even rent for a week.

Unless internet is rare in the south of Spain/Portugal - something I find hard to believe.
Speeds of less than 2 are common in many parts of southern Spain, the only places with really good speeds are places like Madrid and Barcelona. Internet id common, but not good speeds, nor is it totally reliable.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 8:45 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nigel.b
Companies advertise plans as 'trafego ilimitado' (unlimited downloads) when the reality is that after 15GB a month your speed slows to the point where it's touch and go whether you can even send an e-mail.
Hmmm ... traffic choking on volume, not good - however, if it happens, can be proved to happen and is NOT covered in the T&Cs then the company is in breach of contract.

I guess such behaviousr might be a reason to use the MiFi route and various SIMS - but I guess PAYG will invariably end up being more expensive.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 8:51 pm
Resident Cynic

Talking Re: WOW internet?

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Speeds of less than 2 are common in many parts of southern Spain, the only places with really good speeds are places like Madrid and Barcelona.
Emmmm. Different country, different companies - move to Portugal

Wired broadband at my place in the Alentejo was over 6Mbps, just too expensive when I'm not there all the time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.