Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Work for non-Portuguese speaker in Algarve?

Work for non-Portuguese speaker in Algarve?

Old Feb 6th 2007, 12:48 pm
Just Joined

Kirsten23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Work for non-Portuguese speaker in Algarve?

Hi everyone, I hope you can help me! I'm moving to the Alvor in June of this year after spending many holidays in the area over the years. I have worked in the area previously but just for seasonal bar work.

Ideally, I would love to get a job in the fields that I have experience in...communications, marketing, PR and journalism (and a touch of advertising)...but will my lack of Portuguese present a problem? I am taking lessons in Scotland and fully intend to learn ASAP.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Thanks
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Work for non-Portuguese speaker in Algarve?

Hi, perharps it would be worth contacting the newspaper "portugal news"(expat paper), if there no joy with them maybe you could check out the jobs section in the paper itself.....im pretty sure you can view it online also.
Portuguese lessons in SCotland?! Well done...I could not find anywhere that gave them before I came here.
Good luck with your venture..........
Old Feb 9th 2007, 11:58 am
Just Joined

I know - I spent aaaages looking for lessons. Only two i found (apart from very expensive one on one lessons) were at the language school in Park Circus area of Glasgow and Glasgow Uni evening classes. The language school was too expensive so i go to the uni every Tuesday from half 7 til half 9, it was £120 for 20 classes and there are three stages. I'm only on stage one and was planning on doing all three but since I'll actually be in Portugal by the time the next one starts I guess that is out the window!!

Thanks for tip on Portugal News, i have emailed them directly but didn't realise they had job section online so will def have to check that out.

K x
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

John1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also check online with these newspapers:
'The Resident' and the Algarve '123'. They both have vacancies in the classifieds - not sure if you can see them online though. They come out every Thursday.
Old Jun 11th 2007, 3:19 pm
MnC
Just Joined

MnC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - did you have any success with finding work in your field? I am a marketing manager also looking to move to Portugal and am finding it really hard to find suitable positions.
Old Jun 12th 2007, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Hi! i hate to tell you this but I have had no success at all. I am currently working in a bar doing silly hours (7pm til 4am) for very little pay. I have booked my flight home for the start of July. Pls don't be put off as I was looking solely in the Alvor / Lagos area as I have no car so you may have better success if you look further afield.

Kirsten x
Old Jun 12th 2007, 12:39 pm
MnC
Just Joined

Oh dear that isn't good news! Thanks for letting me know though. I was hoping to be in the Loule area so easy access to Faro etc, but am also considering the Silver Coast.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:39 am
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice

Hi
Think I heard RCI (the timeshare exchange co.) advertise for English speaking staff for a call centre in Albufeia - about 2 weeks ago. May be worth checking it out as they may need managers as well?
I know someone who got a jon selling timeshare in Alvor and he only spoke English
Good Luck
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:45 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Work for non-Portuguese speaker in Algarve?

Originally Posted by Mattiespeople
Hi
Think I heard RCI (the timeshare exchange co.) advertise for English speaking staff for a call centre in Albufeia - about 2 weeks ago. May be worth checking it out as they may need managers as well?
I know someone who got a jon selling timeshare in Alvor and he only spoke English
Good Luck
That's because they target the Brit holidaymakers - jump out on them on street corners etc.:curse:
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:34 pm
MnC
Just Joined

That certainly isn't the job for me - I hate it when it happens to me so wouldn't want to inflict it on anyone else.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 4:13 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Work for non-Portuguese speaker in Algarve?

Originally Posted by MnC
That certainly isn't the job for me - I hate it when it happens to me so wouldn't want to inflict it on anyone else.

Glad to hear it