Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Winter in the Algarve

Winter in the Algarve

Old Sep 16th 2017, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Steve53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Winter in the Algarve

Myself and my wife would like to spend the winter in the Algarve (probably winter after next now) and are stuck between Tavira or Lagos. We're also unsure about Tavira the town or Cabanas as maybe more rental opportunities in Cabanas. We have been to both and like both towns. Deciding factors are weather and things to do at that time of year. We'd probably either hire or take the car. Any advice very much appreciated.

Last edited by Steve53; Sep 16th 2017 at 9:18 am. Reason: More info
Old Sep 16th 2017, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice
Default Re: Winter in the Algarve

Not many similarities - why not try three months in each, or hedge your bets and stay half way between the two ?
Old Sep 16th 2017, 9:45 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

We spend most of the winter in the Algarve and agree try two centres east and west.

Ensure that where ever you rent has adequate heating , you will need it.
Old Sep 16th 2017, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve53
Myself and my wife would like to spend the winter in the Algarve (probably winter after next now) and are stuck between Tavira or Lagos. We're also unsure about Tavira the town or Cabanas as maybe more rental opportunities in Cabanas. We have been to both and like both towns. Deciding factors are weather and things to do at that time of year. We'd probably either hire or take the car. Any advice very much appreciated.
You will need heating and warm clothes, the temperatures are not so bad but the cold seems to be more noticeable after the warmth of the summer. Cabanas pretty empty as is Tavira after about 8.00 pm.
Winter gets to be a real drag by mid-February
Old Sep 16th 2017, 2:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everyone else,wherever you rent it must be insulated for winter occupation.Heating and double glazing are essential. The winters aren't particularly cold,but they are known to be very wet and damp. I would also include a fireplace for a log burner as well.. The only advantage I can see with Tavira is that it is closer to Spain and you can pop over to Seville when you get bored.
Old Sep 17th 2017, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

tootlewagon is an unknown quantity at this point

Cabanas does get very quiet in the winter and, as you say, there should be plenty of winter rental opportunities. Tavira, being a working town, will always have something going on for both the locals and long- term expats. The key is how you, yourselves, would like to spend your time in the winter.

When we are there in the Winter, we divide our time between playing Golf (Benamor), playing Lawn Bowls (Pedras da Rainha), attending regular events at the local (Tavira) History Society, and discovering the jewels of Andalucia (Seville, Córdoba, Granada, etc).

As other have said, you have to prepared for the fact that it does get cold at night, but in our view, sunny winter days in the Eastern Algarve makes it all worthwhile...