Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Why have private medical insurance?

Why have private medical insurance?

Old Dec 14th 2017, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Why have private medical insurance?

What a story! Thanks God all is ok now. But when you cannot find a possibility to transfer the EUR 6,000 the private hospital let people die too in the worst case.

EUR 6,000 is already a lot of money. When the surgery would cost EUR 15,000 who would have this money on his current account? When you need to transfer it from your savings account to your current account, that would take too much time.

Can you imagine a couple that is 70+ or when you cannot drive a car. You cannot arrange the payment then on time.
You had too much stress during these long hours and when driving back and forth, you could have killed yourself. IN FACT OH's WAS DEPENDING ON YOU AND HOW FAST YOU COULD DRIVE! That is not the way it should be. You pay for a private insurance and they need to take care of your OH and try to make it comfortable for you too.
This makes me emotional and sick!

I think it is normal that when you show the proof that you have an insurance, they need to start the OP immediately!
I might consider to start a case against them (private hospital and insurance company), if I were you.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 8:20 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Ask to talk to the director of the hospital. This story brings them into disrepute and threatens their business. Get her fired.

When a surgeon says it's an emergency, an administrator should not have the power to override his decision. That's a structural problem.

My OH knows the administrator; she wants to ask him about this. Can you PM me the name of the woman?

Last edited by liveaboard; Dec 14th 2017 at 8:23 am.
Old Dec 14th 2017, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Pilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the roughPilou is a jewel in the rough

When there is an emergency I would call 112.

Someone can have a AVC with only a few symptomes. I presume the National Health care will take care of that in a proper manor .......
Old Dec 14th 2017, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by liveaboard
Ask to talk to the director of the hospital. This story brings them into disrepute and threatens their business. Get her fired.

When a surgeon says it's an emergency, an administrator should not have the power to override his decision. That's a structural problem.

My OH knows the administrator; she wants to ask him about this. Can you PM me the name of the woman?
My OH is on the committee of AFPOP. The chairman of which also knows the administrator of the hospital group. As it happens they are meeting next week, so this case (along with others ) will be brought up at the meeting

I don't know the name of the women who called the shots on Friday night. I will find out when i take OH for his appointment this Friday
Old Dec 14th 2017, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to read about the problems you had Geni and glad your OH is on the mend.

Really hope you can get something sorted - or some.-one else will have to go through the same thing.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Hope to hear how this story will end concerning Alvor Hospital and Medal/Afpop!