Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Why did you move to your particular area?

Why did you move to your particular area?

Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Location: I live in South East England with my children and want to move to the Algarve, Portugal.
janieportugal is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Why did you move to your particular area?

Hi, I was wondering what made you choose the particular area of Portugal that you have moved to?

Did you look around several areas or fall in love with one place?

Has the move abroad lived up to your expectations?
Old Apr 4th 2013, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why did you move to your particular area?

Originally Posted by janieportugal
Hi, I was wondering what made you choose the particular area of Portugal that you have moved to?

Hi

I spent a few years before my move learning all i could about Portugal before i even locked for a house with knowledge moving blind could be a big mistake.

The area i looked for was well away from the Algarve, i wanted value for money in choice of way of life and cost of living. I also didn't want to be in an area that was England in another country.

I found a place that gives me all i want but is not what i expected, IT's Better. For me it's given me a better was of life, there are English about and yes it's good to knwo they are around but we don't live an English life, we are English living in another land.

What i would say is find what suits you and forget the Algarve. There is more to life that England in another land.

Peter " Dreams can come true "
Old Apr 5th 2013, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

The_Hog is on a distinguished road

I agree with Peter, it is essential to spend time looking for what suits you.
I would say though, don't dismiss the Algarve - it is quite large and it is not all the same. The east is very different to the west and when you go, only slightly, inland it is different again.
There are many, many lovely areas of Portugal. Indeed, I have yet to find somewhere I don't like, but what suits one doesn't suit another. It really is for you to see where is good for you.
Enjoy the exploring!
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

nunes1991 is an unknown quantity at this point

I traveled around the country before choosing the place where I lay. I was in Viana do Castelo in the north, in Portimão, until I met a local named Cernache Bonjardim in Central Portugal and fell in love I am yet so far away and so close to everything, I'm away from the hustle of Lisbon and Porto, but I'm only 2 hours of them for good road, when I need something it is very easy to move me there.

And the scenery and the quiet of this place? Amazing!! Here expats have some friends, but I met sporadically as many Portuguese saw not looking for a community of expats for it would have been in my country! That's what I think of the Algarve!

I would love to show you this place if you're interested and anyone think it is little known and therein lies its charm. But it will be good to have more people and the local economy needs these people deserve.

Regards
Old Apr 10th 2013, 2:27 pm
House sitting in Portugal

s5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nices5tuart is just really nice

As said before, don't dismiss the Algarve. I have really enjoyed it there, albeit for only 3 months.
I am currently in Ericiera, north of Lisbon and it is a vastly different place. Much more "Portuguese". The locals seem quite amused by my stumbling attempts at their language in the shops and bars, but in a very good natured way.
I have found all of the Portuguese people I have met kind, friendly and very accommodating, so I would hazard a guess that wherever you go will be a good experience for you. Maybe the only places that might not be that way are the larger cities, tourist traps or industrial towns, which are the same the world over IMHO.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to the algarve west coast [Aljezur area]; because the weather is how we like it, not too hot in summer yet with mild winters. It's not built up at all and probably will never be [it's a nature reserve]. We wanted a house with land near the beach, not too isolated, with power, water, and internet and we found it there.
There's LOTS of water, that's important.
Old Apr 15th 2013, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

julianac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by janieportugal

Hello...I am portuguese and I agree with this comments...portugal has a lot to offer..specially the small towns where life is so much better than the city...I live in a small town in the center of portugal, about 20k from the famous santuary of Fatima and the life around here is quite relaxing. It is away from all the pollution and the stress but yet close to everything...we are less than 100km from the lisbon airport and 10km from the closest city...it is a great place to live..it is in the middle of a natural park where everything is lovely...Unfortunetly I have to move to another country for work reasons and I need to rent out my house, if you know of anyone interested in long term rental please let me know...
Old Apr 16th 2013, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Don't be put off by one persons view of an area.
The Algarve is a very diverse region. It has something for everyone with the added benefit of a large expat support network IF you need it.
You can be remote and living the dream or have an apartment in a lively town or city. The choice is yours
The weather is also better down here
Old Apr 19th 2013, 3:42 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in the Algarve for three years,and here for six.I don't think the weather is much different,if at all
I think you need to travel to all areas and maybe rent for a while,it's an expensive mistake to get out of,If you choose the wrong place,I know,I did it
Old Apr 20th 2013, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud ofMike has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cleri
I lived in the Algarve for three years,and here for six.I don't think the weather is much different,if at all
Was tongue cheek Cleri!
Old Apr 20th 2013, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Mike
Was tongue cheek Cleri!
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

OnecalledBob is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you regret moving from the Algarve, Cleri? If not, what areas of Lisbon would you recommend?
We are trying to decide which area to move to and probably will take your advice to rent for a while first.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud ofsteve01 has much to be proud of

Cleri, the weather is very different in the algarve to Lisbon and the Silver coast - as well you know - but it also varies year on year, this year wet-ish , last year like an English summer from November thru april.
My new Portuguese neighbour moved from Cascais saying she was fed up with the cold wet windy weather that often blows in off the sea over the winter and said its much nicer weather in the South.
Regardless
It doesn't matter where you live, you just have to put the effort in to make a sucess of it - but thats not an excuse not to do your homework..
Best of luck
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:08 pm

It's not very different!
I don't live on the coast tho.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by OnecalledBob
Do you regret moving from the Algarve, Cleri? If not, what areas of Lisbon would you recommend?
We are trying to decide which area to move to and probably will take your advice to rent for a while first.
No I don't regret it at all,too English for me in the Algarve,but 99 % of posters on here live there and will shout me down...travel around,we are all different,just don't jump into buying somewhere.