Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Where is the best place to buy in the Algarve? (off-plan)

Where is the best place to buy in the Algarve? (off-plan)

Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:26 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where is the best place to buy in the Algarve? (off-plan)

Hi - I´m looking for a little advice here as I don´t know The Algarve all that well.

I´m a fairly experienced buyer in Spain, but we have decided we fancy a change and are starting to put the feelers out across the border in Portugal.

We are looking for something to buy off-plan (can´t commit to a mortgage for at least a year or so until we sell one of the properties in Spain). We´ve visited Tavira and think it is lovely, but on our short trip we didn´t come across many good tourist class developments. We would also be interested in Lagos I think. Basically anywhere that is pretty, near the sea, near to golf, and with a half decent chance at getting a few weeks rental per year to help cover the costs.

We are fairly open minded to area, but would welcome suggestions for good developments of apartments/townhouses or even villas. I like to do a bit of web research before we visit, so if anyone could put forward names of good developments and the name of the developer (rather than real estate agents) that would be a great help.

Many thanks!!

Oh, and names of any developments/developers to avoid would also be useful - who doesn´t have building licences, who doesn´t deliver on their promises, that sort of thing.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:32 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where is the best place to buy in the Algarve? (off-plan)

You could try Alvor.
Pretty,by the sea,golf etc,lots of development going on.
Sorry dont have any particular details,but it might be a start if you google it.
Vale da Telha good value for money re villas,but may be a bit remote,for rentals etc.
Cx
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:49 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Know of any available 3 bed detached Villas with pool for sale in VdT Cleri?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by derbyflan
Know of any available 3 bed detached Villas with pool for sale in VdT Cleri?
STOP teasing
Old Apr 4th 2007, 8:57 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Where is the best place to buy in the Algarve? (off-plan)

I take it things remain a little slow?

Pff! Have hope Cleri. Have you changed the way you're advertising ie gone to different Agents or used an International Agent? what's the new build competition like?

Questions...questions...
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:06 am

Ive reduced the price by 15,000 have had to,the competition from new build has forced the prices down.
The agents here are shit,they need a bomb up their bums!!!
I have a couple coming over from Uk next week to view,they saw my webpage,and have had another enquiry yesterday,so maybe there is hope now its on at a VERY good price.
Im giving it away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My bro in Uk said he saw a programme the other day which said Uk housing market was picking up,so that will have a good effect here
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:36 am
ex-squaddie

Well good luck with that mate.

Your bro is right - the market is picking up again. So are the programmes about living overseas on the telly.

Decided where up North yet?
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:51 am

Looking at Tomar,Ansaio (might not have spelt that right!),maybe as far as Viseu,but I think thats too far.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 5:47 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice

Hi Cleri
How far north is Tomar? How much colder is it! Ignore that! it's warmer in UK than VdT for now!
We have now got Brits moving in to a villa just round the corner about 100 yards from our back garden! Wondering if I can shoot them in the hunting season if they stray onto N. Parkland directly at back of my garden! Well local shoot rabbits! and other local pests!
Good Luck with selling - Easter and spring always a good time
Matts
Old Apr 4th 2007, 7:09 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Just came back to my post and though I had loads of replies already .

Then I see I have been high jacked.

Oh well. Alvor has been suggested. I´ll do a bit of web research there. Names of developers/developments is what I am really after though.
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:47 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Ive reduced the price by 15,000 have had to,the competition from new build has forced the prices down.
The agents here are shit,they need a bomb up their bums!!!
I have a couple coming over from Uk next week to view,they saw my webpage,and have had another enquiry yesterday,so maybe there is hope now its on at a VERY good price.
Im giving it away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My bro in Uk said he saw a programme the other day which said Uk housing market was picking up,so that will have a good effect here

Hi clerigogirl

Wish you muchos luck for your viewings next week I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you, bummer about reducing the price though. I checked out your webpage it was very good I wish I could do things like that but me and IT do not go hand in hand. We have finished giving our Spanish casa a coat of paint so hopefully it will be on the market next week. I think the market here has dropped in the last few months but then it always does over the winter so hopefully it will start to pick up. Anyway here's hoping you have some good luck.

Keith if you check your thread again, apology for also high jacking.

regards Crispygirl
Old Apr 4th 2007, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Just came back to my post and though I had loads of replies already .

Then I see I have been high jacked.

Oh well. Alvor has been suggested. I´ll do a bit of web research there. Names of developers/developments is what I am really after though.

Hi Keith, just had a thought I was up on the Silver Coast looking at property a few weeks back and there is a lot of building off-plan going on in the Sao Martinho area. I know it's not the area you are thinking of but it may be something to consider as a new golf course is planned to be built in the next couple of years. Right don't laugh when you read this as I can not spell his name but the design of the golf course is by that Spanish golfer chappy - is it Sevvy Balosterious, OK I can hear you laughing so stop it now. Anyway if you do consider it I have the name of some one who is not a developer but he has contacts in the area and he may be able to help you with advice.

see in Spain
Crispy
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Hi clerigogirl

Wish you muchos luck for your viewings next week I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you, bummer about reducing the price though. I checked out your webpage it was very good I wish I could do things like that but me and IT do not go hand in hand. We have finished giving our Spanish casa a coat of paint so hopefully it will be on the market next week. I think the market here has dropped in the last few months but then it always does over the winter so hopefully it will start to pick up. Anyway here's hoping you have some good luck.

Keith if you check your thread again, apology for also high jacking.

regards Crispygirl
Thanks crispy,fingers crossed and all that
I WILL get out of here,I can feel in it my water
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Thanks crispy,fingers crossed and all that
I WILL get out of here,I can feel in it my water

Then you'll be needing cranberry juice for that then.....
Old Apr 4th 2007, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Then you'll be needing cranberry juice for that then.....
Probably,but i like to rely on red wine,as my old mates will testify