Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

When Nomad met Cleri...WTMTP part 2

When Nomad met Cleri...WTMTP part 2

Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:08 am
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: When Nomad met Cleri...WTMTP part 2

Originally Posted by cavalierhome
Just look at the Irish. Live on an island surrounded by fish and still they almost die out because the potato crop failed....

Didn’t anybody tell them about fish?
That's because you can't make chips out of fish to make your fish'n'chips. It wouldn't matter nowadays as chicken curry has taken over as the British national dish.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

Sibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the roughSibs is a jewel in the rough

When I first came over we flew into Faro and then drove up from there to Tabua near Coimbra. It didn't take that long, only about 5 hours to Coimbra and then a further hour after that to Tabua. We went on the main toll road which we thought was fantastic as there was barely any traffic at all and driving through the Alentejo was amazing, it is like being in African grasslands or something. The only thing I'd say was that the roads were much busier near Coimbra but it wasn't a problem.

Sarah
Old Mar 26th 2008, 12:10 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Gypsywoman;6110405]Hi all and thanks so much for your helpful replies.
We've found a 'maybe' place to stay in Penela, we'll be staying one night in Faro then 7 nights in Penela, then back to Faro for another three nights.
Now we have the problem of getting from Faro to Coimbra, do we take a train, have tried the booking page and can't get any sense out of that it also seems a bit expensive and long.

Gypsy I think you should have a re-think about the Faro option.
I looked at it once and decided that although the flight was cheap it arrived in the evening at a time when realistically one would have no option other than to stay over in Faro. That in itself negated the saving on a cheap flight. Then one has to get from Faro to, as in your case Coimbra, more expense.
I got a flight from Liverpool to Porto for a friend for £29 (Ryanair) last June. Porto is 125km from Coimbra, very cheap and a quick train journey.
There are several classes of fare here and the cheapest is very cheap. Dont quote me, but 18 euros rings a bell. If you go this route then your main problem would be to find accomodation.
My suggestion is find an estate agent who is advertising a property in the Coimbra area, choose something to look at (who knows they might have a ruin or 2) tell them you are very interested in coming over to look at it but with limited funds to spend on accomodation you need something very cheap for 3 nights or whatever. Go through the motions and then do your own hunting. Then compare your total outlay with the Faro option and I think you should come out ahead.
So there you are Gypsy, hope Taffy is improving.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 1:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Red Lippie gone awol again. HERE
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:42 pm
Á Boa Vida

cavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond repute

Faro to Lisbon is only 2.5 hours more or less the way I drive

I was there last year and we were going from Lisbon to Vilamoura we made it in 2.75 hours. I kept telling my wife that kilometers were much smaller than miles and that 190 kilometers was only about 80 MPH and we do 80 all the time in the US.....

For a math teacher she is pretty gullible

Not bad in a Pugeot station wagon full of people and bagage.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 2:44 pm

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Red Lippie gone awol again. HERE
Gazz has not been on for a while either
Old Mar 26th 2008, 3:11 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmmmmmmmm,do you reckon they have run off together
Old Mar 26th 2008, 4:12 pm
Á Boa Vida

cavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond reputecavalierhome has a reputation beyond repute

hmmmmmmmm fornication talk ...... almost as good as vinification talk

Come to think of it...... Vinification often leads to fornication
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:08 am

Mornin
Old Mar 27th 2008, 10:36 am
Á Boa Vida

Good morning to you

6:30 AM here in NY have been working on paperwork since 5AM...

I need a vacation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So anybody have something interesting to say?
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Gypsywoman has a brilliant futureGypsywoman has a brilliant futureGypsywoman has a brilliant futureGypsywoman has a brilliant futureGypsywoman has a brilliant futureGypsywoman has a brilliant futureGypsywoman has a brilliant future

Morning all and thanks so much for your advice.

Well we've decided to drive I'm getting an eye mask and OH is getting nonails to pin me down

We're going to stay in Castanheira de Pera in a lovely little cottage (I want to be there now)
Who knows we may even bump into Nomad thanks for your input too

One more question please how do I know which are the toll roads and which are the scary ICI roads (thanks again Cleri for the alert )

Sorry I can't remember whose wife gasps but I do that too

Have a nice day all, hope the sun is shining for you it's not a bad day here, bright but as ever cold!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:57 am
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gypsywoman
Morning all and thanks so much for your advice.

Well we've decided to drive I'm getting an eye mask and OH is getting nonails to pin me down

We're going to stay in Castanheira de Pera in a lovely little cottage (I want to be there now)
Who knows we may even bump into Nomad thanks for your input too

One more question please how do I know which are the toll roads and which are the scary ICI roads (thanks again Cleri for the alert )

Sorry I can't remember whose wife gasps but I do that too

Have a nice day all, hope the sun is shining for you it's not a bad day here, bright but as ever cold!
If ever I felt my efforts were in vain...

Last edited by Nomad_H; Mar 27th 2008 at 11:59 am.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 11:58 am

Just keep to the motorway gyp,honestly you will be fine,like other peeps have said,there isnt much traffic,its a walk in the park compared to Uk motorways.
The IC1 is the old road,used before the motorway was built.

Sunny today,but horrible cold wind,not the weather we are used to at this time of year
You must be very excited,what date are you coming over?......just so Nomad can get the wine in I will make sure he washes his pink pants in readiness
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

Gypsywoman has a brilliant futureGypsywoman has a brilliant futureGypsywoman has a brilliant futureGypsywoman has a brilliant futureGypsywoman has a brilliant futureGypsywoman has a brilliant futureGypsywoman has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
If ever I felt my efforts were in vain...
Sorry, typical woman. A gypsy and a nomad should go well together yeah? not PINK pants though!

Yes Cleri we're getting excited now we fly out on the 10th, I need lots of wine OH is broke now keeping up with my supplies, hope the sun shines for us In France last year it piddled down and was blowing a gale, we gave up, came home and flew to the Algarve
Old Mar 27th 2008, 12:47 pm

Oooo Benidorm is back on telly tomorrow night,it makes me LMAO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.