Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What UK documents do we need when emigrating to Portugal?

What UK documents do we need when emigrating to Portugal?

Old Feb 18th 2018, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What UK documents do we need when emigrating to Portugal?

I'm really not sure if you need them Diddion. We haven't done ours yet as we've only been here for 6 weeks.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 10:33 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need photos for the initial residence registration certificate.

The (non-compulsory) permanent card after 5 years, yes - but then it also serves as id.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, AliceCaroline and Red Eric (and others!). I'll bear that in mind! How are you finding things, AliceCaroline?
Old Feb 18th 2018, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddion
How are you finding things, AliceCaroline?
We were very busy the first few weeks. Unpacking; buying things like a fridge and oven, then waiting for delivery & connection; setting up internet; buying a car, doing little bits of DIY; buying fishing licences; changing our address at Finances ect.

For now everything is sorted and we are just relaxing. We love it here.

Next jobs will be sorting the residency & driving licences then trying to register with the health service.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
Do you need to take photos for the initial 5 year residency from the Camara or is that just for the following permit from SEF?
No photo needed for initial document
Old Feb 18th 2018, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

I've heard so many stories of inconsistent requirements that I feel I will have to enter each office followed by a team of Sherpas carrying every element of my life. And I will also need to ensure I am equipped with evidence of my shoe size and collar size. Or am I going too far?
Old Feb 18th 2018, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddion
I've heard so many stories of inconsistent requirements that I feel I will have to enter each office followed by a team of Sherpas carrying every element of my life. And I will also need to ensure I am equipped with evidence of my shoe size and collar size. Or am I going too far?
No idea where the stories came from, we took about 15 minutes to do the form, showed passports and had a copy of our rental contract ( which was not asked for ), went to a different window to pay our fee and then 24 hrs later went back and collected our residence certificate.
Few processes could be any simpler.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

I also went to a different office to pay and then went back and showed them the slip and was handed over the A4 size Residencia document. Done and dusted in 20 minutes.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Glad to hear all of this!
Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Loafing Along

Few processes could be any simpler.

Getting the 5 year residency isn't the upcoming job that worries me, it's getting registered with the National Health Service as we are both early retirees.

Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline.......

Lucky people! I am a late retiree!
Old Feb 18th 2018, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Getting the 5 year residency isn't the upcoming job that worries me, it's getting registered with the National Health Service as we are both early retirees.

So were we and it was no problem at all. Forget about the S1 and EHIC thing and just do it.
I don't even know what S1 or EHIC is. Not got that but got my SNS.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 8:21 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
So were we and it was no problem at all. Forget about the S1 and EHIC thing and just do it.
I don't even know what S1 or EHIC is. Not got that but got my SNS.
Sure - so have lots of people, going back long before the 2 years you say it wasn't possible until it "became law". I don't have any knowledge of this alleged change in the law by the way, just an issuing of guidelines about the correct current application of the previously existing regulations, which were open to interpretation with regard to economically inactive UK citizens for various reasons.

It doesn't mean people aren't still encountering problems when presenting themselves for registration, even if, by one or another of our experiences or readings of what's published, there shouldn't be any.

I've certainly read tales from those who have had difficulties getting registered within the past 2 years.

And I suspect - but wait on the outcome of the OP's experience to find out for sure - that the PT authorities might not be completely overjoyed about someone with an entitlement to a pension from another member state - and therefore to enrolment in the PT system via the S1 route and the concommitant reciprocal charging - not using that option before enrolling here.

Last edited by Red Eric; Feb 18th 2018 at 8:26 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
Sure - so have lots of people, going back long before the 2 years you say it wasn't possible until it "became law". I don't have any knowledge of this alleged change in the law by the way, just an issuing of guidelines about the correct current application of the previously existing regulations, which were open to interpretation with regard to economically inactive UK citizens for various reasons.

It doesn't mean people aren't still encountering problems when presenting themselves for registration, even if, by one or another of our experiences or readings of what's published, there shouldn't be any.

I've certainly read tales from those who have had difficulties getting registered within the past 2 years.

And I suspect - but wait on the outcome of the OP's experience to find out for sure - that the PT authorities might not be completely overjoyed about someone with an entitlement to a pension from another member state - and therefore to enrolment in the PT system via the S1 route and the concommitant reciprocal charging - not using that option before enrolling here.
Our plan, all going well, is to arrive in Portugal on about 22 May, and become Portuguese residents. With NHR we will be entitled to pension income free of UK (and of course Portuguese) tax. We will also ensure that we are not UK tax payers, by taking care with both the Automatic UK and sufficient ties statutary residence tests. I had intended further pension deferment until my tax position was confirmed, but maybe you would feel it better to put it in place beforehand, whilst in the UK? I am, after all, looking for a life with the minimum of complexities!
Old Feb 18th 2018, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to allJonny22 is a name known to all

Do you need to take photos for the initial 5 year residency from the Camara or is that just for the following permit from SEF?
Maybe different in different places. In Tavira 2 passport photos needed and €15 here not €12. Better take just in case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.