Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What UK documents do we need when emigrating to Portugal?

What UK documents do we need when emigrating to Portugal?

Old Feb 16th 2018, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default What UK documents do we need when emigrating to Portugal?

We're relocating to Portugal with the intention of it to be permanent in May this year we are respectively 60 and 70 years old - I'm the ancient one. We intend applying for NHR when we can. Whilst we are in UK we are gathering together all documents which we believe might be helpful. The important question is, do you recommend any additional documents? The list below shows what we have so far prepared and what we have.

Also, should we present ourselves to customs as we first enter the country?
  1. UK tax statements from HMRC for the last five years
  2. Evidence of the house we have just purchased and sold (Solicitor's completion statement)
  3. Should we bring any recent utility bills to demonstrate that we do actually live here?
  4. current EHIC cards
  5. Passports, of course!
  6. Birth and marriage certificates
  7. Medical Insurance certificates
  8. Car - UK MOT certificate and confirmation of tax
  9. Certificate of Conformity (we'll be importing the car)
  10. Right-hand dip headlights (complete units, not converters)
  11. UK car insurance certificate
  12. UK annual travel insurance
  13. UK annual car breakdown insurance (these two should get us by until we obtain relevant insurance from Portugal)
  14. Registration book
  15. Purchase receipt for the car (just over a year ago)
  16. We'll retain confirmation of our sailing date
  17. We have fiscal numbers and a Millennium bank account

Thanks everyone. We would prefer to take too much rather than too little, and anything missing would be better to obtain before we leave the UK, where it is at the moment cold and sometimes wet.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 7:35 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What UK documents do we need when emigrating to Portugal?

Form S1 for both of you would be a priority.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

You do not need to present yourself to Customs when you first arrive . First you need to register at your local Town Hall with your new Portuguese address and then you can start the car process. Best to look for a Customs Agent who will charge you about €400,- but it saves a lot of hassle.
Normally the first 90 days of residence you are still considered a tourist but some places will accept you registering any time after you arrive.
Your NHR you can do at any time in 2018, up until March 2019, for the Tax Year 2018.

One of the documents you will need for your car when you go through the import/transfer process is a statement that you have left the UK to move to Portugal. It is a document which you will probably need to get from the British Consulate in Lisbon as few , if any, UK town halls will issue such a thing.
Yes you will also need the last twelve months of utility bills to accompany the car documents.
As previously mentioned Form S1 which will make the process of entering the Portuguese Health Service much easier.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, useful information from both of you. Looking at form S1, it seems that I, who do not pay NI due to being too ancient, need not fill in this form, and I am not sure about my wife who, at 60, would pay. I ‘ll give their helpline a call,
Old Feb 17th 2018, 7:06 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddion
Thanks, useful information from both of you. Looking at form S1, it seems that I, who do not pay NI due to being too ancient, need not fill in this form, and I am not sure about my wife who, at 60, would pay. I ‘ll give their helpline a call,
You need to have the form assuming you're in receipt of a UK state pension - it enables PT to recharge the UK for your healthcare costs. Your wife should be registered via S1 as she's not yet in receipt of her state pension but is entitled to healthcare as your dependent spouse under the social security agreements.

It'll ensure that you are registered correctly and without problems - sometimes people not entitled to this cover report having a bit of difficulty, despite being catered for under PT rules.

Last edited by Red Eric; Feb 17th 2018 at 7:08 am.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Red Eric
You need to have the form assuming you're in receipt of a UK state pension - it enables PT to recharge the UK for your healthcare costs. Your wife should be registered via S1 as she's not yet in receipt of her state pension but is entitled to healthcare as your dependent spouse under the social security agreements.

It'll ensure that you are registered correctly and without problems - sometimes people not entitled to this cover report having a bit of difficulty, despite being catered for under PT rules.
Thanks, Red Eric. Let me add a small complication! I don’t as yet receive my State pension, as I deferred it........?
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:28 am
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Red Eric. Let me add a small complication! I don’t as yet receive my State pension, as I deferred it........?
In which case, the S1 is redundant until such time as you do claim your pension.

It ought not to be a barrier to your enrolling in the public health service, which is open to all permanent residents but you might encounter some puzzlement. A bridge you'll have to cross when you come to it.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

From what I understand, confusion, misdirection and flexible beurocratic rules are things we are gearing ourselves up to expect!
Old Feb 17th 2018, 9:07 am
Polished expat

From what I understand, confusion, misdirection and flexible beurocratic rules are things we are gearing ourselves up to expect!
It's not too bad, at least where I am. Things generally seem to go as per expectations from information available on the various government etc websites.

Just having 2nd thoughts re: the S1 - it's worth you asking questions of the UK side on that front. I may have been a little hasty in my assumptions.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric
It's not too bad, at least where I am. Things generally seem to go as per expectations from information available on the various government etc websites.

Just having 2nd thoughts re: the S1 - it's worth you asking questions of the UK side on that front. I may have been a little hasty in my assumptions.
Definitely worth doing as one thing is defering receipt of a pension and the other is being of pensionable age.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

I'll check with the UK authorities - and I'll report back.
Old Feb 17th 2018, 12:54 pm
Polished expat

As you were, I think. Don't let me put you off asking but I wouldn't hold out much hope :
Healthcare cover if you live in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

If you live in the EEA or Switzerland you may be covered for healthcare paid by the UK if you receive a UK State Pension. However, for the period you put off taking your State Pension the UK will not provide you with healthcare cover. You will need to make your own arrangements.
https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles...rral#skip-link

As I say, though, it shouldn't be a barrier to enrolment in Portugal's system although it might lead to some furrowed brows.

Presumably if things did become awkward and the public service cover were important to you, you could easily resolve the matter by accessing your pension.

Be interesting to know the answers all round and the triumphs and defeats along the way
Old Feb 17th 2018, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Your local town counsel will only ask you for proof of address, NIF No., passports, your parents names and €12.00. That's it. That will give you a 5 year residency permit.

To get your SNS number (state health care) all you need is an affidavit from your local parish office. They will ask you for proof of address such as lease or purchase contract or a utility bill, passport and marriage certificate as proof that your wife stays with you. Nothing more. This is proof that you live in that parish.
Take this to your parishes state health care office and they will give you a SNS number and the name of your family doctor. This was not allowed 2 years ago but it is now law and seems the staff have been informed and you will not have a problem.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ukkram
Your local town counsel will only ask you for proof of address, NIF No., passports, your parents names and €12.00. That's it. That will give you a 5 year residency permit.
Do you need to take photos for the initial 5 year residency from the Camara or is that just for the following permit from SEF?
Old Feb 18th 2018, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Good point, AlicCaroline. We'll furnish ourselves with photos anyway before we go - and with photocopies of passports and other documents, just in case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.