Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What do you love about where you live?

What do you love about where you live?

Old Aug 13th 2015, 7:57 am
Just Joined

chris and steve hedges is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What do you love about where you live?

Thanks for the good advice. We will be researching areas on our own by renting first. Nec trip is just to pick up further information.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 8:23 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuzetajan
If you're going to that, please don not get sucked into the fight, hotel and tour bit. All they're doing is upping the price of the house/apartment.

A "friend" asked us if we'd be happy to pay 7% to sell our house

Erm, no, why should we? His answer was that the company will bring people who want to buy our house - yeah, ours and everyone elses

Take your time, research, visit, research and more research.

We've no regrets about buying our home, but we're 10 years older and now want something different, hence hoping to move.
Probably the same company who approached us.. 7% and will will promote your property,5% otherwise.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
There have been posts from those who have moved to less expat popular parts of Portugal where English is not so widely spoken, where local officials have less experience of the requirements of expats, social deprivation even finding familar food stuffs..
Your small Portuguese village in the interior or coastal town with wonderfull views can become a very different place in the middle of a cool and rainy Feb when there is no local bar or supermarket that you can pop down to and find others like you.
Yes quite! EMR That's why I suggested 'Try before you buy' I stayed in a slightly smaller village a few miles away before I settled for where I am.Discovered not only was it totally dead in the winter! but it sat in a deepish canyon and the sea mists got trapped there ,cold AND damp thus. My village has a permanant residency of over 5,000 people and is occupied all year round..These little details become very important..as I said do as much research as poss
Old Aug 13th 2015, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Probably the same company who approached us.. 7% and will will promote your property,5% otherwise.
Originally Posted by bejaboz
I find your thoughts about less popular parts of PT as not reflective of our experiences. More non tourist areas are not the third world and even in the small town nearest our property, all the every day requirements are obtainable food and none food wise, maybe they are Portuguese products but never the less meet the need. I doubt if there are many places, even small villages that don't have a bar and what do you mean "meet others like you"? This sound like an us and them comment.

The picture you paint is not consistent with our experience and anyone moving into an area would, if they are wise, check it out first.

Locals here are very helpful, friendly and with a little Portuguese you can make yourself understood and what you require. The attitude of local people is considerably more social and less commercially orientated than around the highly populated Algarve region, as pleasant and lovely as it is, but to each their own.
Hi All

In my village there are three people who live here two are English and one Portuguese and guess what we have running water and something called Electrikty whatever that is. The is also something you can talk into and speak to other people but why speak to other people when you can talk to yourself.

The local town have banks, shops and places to have food and drink aren't we lucky. Where is this oasis to be found I am not telling we want it left as it is unspoilt.

No Snide comments the above is in jest.

Peter
Old Aug 13th 2015, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

santaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond reputesantaanita has a reputation beyond repute

unspoilt peter until today when 10 thousand bikers turn up
Old Aug 13th 2015, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by santaanita
unspoilt peter until today when 10 thousand bikers turn up
Hi Nigel

I got out before they arrived and I am now in the Pool paying stupid prices for drinks and would you believe no Superbok or Sagres.

Peter
Old Aug 13th 2015, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Great thread as I am looking to relocate next year and it is in no way that I don't like it here in Viana do Castelo, but I need to explore hence I have not yet bought property. I will do so in 6 years time when I have settled.

I know that it is each to their own and what might suit one will not suit another.
The pros of Viana:
The mountains with lush pine forests.
The sea and the river beaches.
The vibe of the old city center with cobbled narrow streets.
The numerous festivals and markets.
The only private hospital in a 150 km radius and a big general hospital.
Reliable bus and train transport.
The cons of Viana.
Little English and no Tesco.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

No Tesco Ukram

We don't have one down here, either

Stick with Aldi, Lidl, Pingo Doce or at a push, Intermarche. Mini Preco are supposed to be good, but the nearest to us is the other side of Tavira.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 7:03 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

No Tesco Ukram

We don't have one down here, either

Stick with Aldi, Lidl, Pingo Doce or at a push, Intermarche. Mini Preco are supposed to be good, but the nearest to us is the other side of Tavira.
Come south we now have 3 Apollonia stores, for those who need their waitrose fix.:
Old Aug 13th 2015, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Can't afford to shop there
Old Aug 13th 2015, 8:11 pm
EMR
Banned

Can't afford to shop there
Its still nice to walk round though.
Old Aug 13th 2015, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

No EMR, I'd be too tempted. I'll stick with the cheaper end of shopping
Old Aug 14th 2015, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Little English and no Tesco; that's a Blessing!
Old Aug 14th 2015, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by nogard
Little English and no Tesco; that's a Blessing!
Old Aug 14th 2015, 1:10 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Another pro for anywhere from Porto northwards is that the natives speak quite a ripe version of Portuguese, so you get to know some of the most important words first when you're learning the language.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.