Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What do you love about where you live?

What do you love about where you live?

Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you love about where you live?

I have a place a few km from the west coast near the algarve /Alentejo line.
The cool breeze we get all summer is what I really like. The weather here is almost always fantastic.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 7:32 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and steve hedges
I'm very jealous of you all! My wish list will be,
Nearest airport 1 hour approx, walking distance to village. But near town for medical services, bigger shops etc. Not too close to neighbours. A view with greenery. Some English speaking people just to help with settling in, but not touristy cos I hate noisy people. What do you think folks, is it all achievable!
Almost anywhere in the Algarve away from the main resorts.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

p.s forgot to say No i wouldn't want to live anywhere else!! I'm an ex city girl so deep countryside is not for me.I need to be near shopping,near theatres ,near an airport,near a railway station..but not on top of them..I also need to be able to walk my dog down to the village and get my newspaper and coffee in the morning (not so much now re-newspaper..who cares that much anymore.?The Algarve will do that to you lol)

I would only say ..Try before you buy! If you can
If you haven't lived abroad before it may come as a big surprise/shock to you to find the things that suddenly become very important in your daily life.Not forgetting family and friends who you might expect to visit you
Old Aug 12th 2015, 9:09 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB
p.s forgot to say No i wouldn't want to live anywhere else!! I'm an ex city girl so deep countryside is not for me.I need to be near shopping,near theatres ,near an airport,near a railway station..but not on top of them..I also need to be able to walk my dog down to the village and get my newspaper and coffee in the morning (not so much now re-newspaper..who cares that much anymore.?The Algarve will do that to you lol)

I would only say ..Try before you buy! If you can
If you haven't lived abroad before it may come as a big surprise/shock to you to find the things that suddenly become very important in your daily life.Not forgetting family and friends who you might expect to visit you
There have been posts from those who have moved to less expat popular parts of Portugal where English is not so widely spoken, where local officials have less experience of the requirements of expats, social deprivation even finding familar food stuffs..
Your small Portuguese village in the interior or coastal town with wonderfull views can become a very different place in the middle of a cool and rainy Feb when there is no local bar or supermarket that you can pop down to and find others like you.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by EMR
There have been posts from those who have moved to less expat popular parts of Portugal where English is not so widely spoken, where local officials have less experience of the requirements of expats, social deprivation even finding familar food stuffs..
Your small Portuguese village in the interior or coastal town with wonderfull views can become a very different place in the middle of a cool and rainy Feb when there is no local bar or supermarket that you can pop down to and find others like you.
I find your thoughts about less popular parts of PT as not reflective of our experiences. More non tourist areas are not the third world and even in the small town nearest our property, all the every day requirements are obtainable food and none food wise, maybe they are Portuguese products but never the less meet the need. I doubt if there are many places, even small villages that don't have a bar and what do you mean "meet others like you"? This sound like an us and them comment.

The picture you paint is not consistent with our experience and anyone moving into an area would, if they are wise, check it out first.

Locals here are very helpful, friendly and with a little Portuguese you can make yourself understood and what you require. The attitude of local people is considerably more social and less commercially orientated than around the highly populated Algarve region, as pleasant and lovely as it is, but to each their own.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 9:45 am
EMR
Banned

Originally Posted by bejaboz
I find your thoughts about less popular parts of PT as not reflective of our experiences. More non tourist areas are not the third world and even in the small town nearest our property, all the every day requirements are obtainable food and none food wise, maybe they are Portuguese products but never the less meet the need. I doubt if there are many places, even small villages that don't have a bar and what do you mean "meet others like you"? This sound like an us and them comment.

The picture you paint is not consistent with our experience and anyone moving into an area would, if they are wise, check it out first.

Locals here are very helpful, friendly and with a little Portuguese you can make yourself understood and what you require. The attitude of local people is considerably more social and less commercially orientated than around the highly populated Algarve region, as pleasant and lovely as it is, but to each their own.
I just referred to the posts we have had from thosecwho have made the move and not found it as they expected.
It will be a different experience for many.
Again I do not agree with your generalistion about the Algarve.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 9:53 am
Just Joined

chris and steve hedges is an unknown quantity at this point

We are going to rent for 6 months. I'm not sure if to rent our UK home out or sell it to make sure I have cash to purchase if we find somewhere. Regardless of what we decide I will definitely be moving out of my current home even if we stay in uk. I'm loving all your comments!
Old Aug 12th 2015, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by EMR
I just referred to the posts we have had from thosecwho have made the move and not found it as they expected.
It will be a different experience for many.
Again I do not agree with your generalistion about the Algarve.
I think you need to read through the thread again for those who are in less popular areas.

As I said, to each their own, it would be a poor world if we were all had the same requirements.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Old Aug 12th 2015, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

Knowing where Bejaboz is and also visiting the area many times over the last few years, I completely agree with him.

In fact, we're off up there again next month
Old Aug 12th 2015, 11:54 am
EMR
Banned

I think you need to read through the thread again for those who are in less popular areas.

As I said, to each their own, it would be a poor world if we were all had the same requirements.
Not just on n this thread but others on this and other forums have posts from those who find that their reality does not always live up to exoectations.
Renting in winter in the less expat populated regions and visiting others in the height of summer would always be my suggestions.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Renting in winter in the less expat populated regions and visiting others in the height of summer would always be my suggestions.
I agree with this.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 6:06 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris and steve hedges
I'm very jealous of you all! My wish list will be,
Nearest airport 1 hour approx, walking distance to village. But near town for medical services, bigger shops etc. Not too close to neighbours. A view with greenery. Some English speaking people just to help with settling in, but not touristy cos I hate noisy people. What do you think folks, is it all achievable!
Sounds pretty much where we are.

My next door neighbour moved in a month after we did, he's portuguese but speaks good English and works in a similar field to me (IT/internet). Also has a daughter about same age as mine, and the wife gets on well with his mrs (who doesn't speak English, but my wife speaks Portuguese natively). Most professional people in Portugal seem to speak pretty good English, and even guys the wife sorted for doing some electrics in the house and fitting our kitchen speak pretty good English too. So I think wherever you are, there will be people who speak English. Does make it harder to learn portuguese though!
Old Aug 12th 2015, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

chris and steve hedges is an unknown quantity at this point

So lovely to have everyone's input. I'm checking out all the areas mentioned. Going to place in sun exhibition next month at nec Birmingham to get some further help.
Old Aug 12th 2015, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to that, please don not get sucked into the fight, hotel and tour bit. All they're doing is upping the price of the house/apartment.

A "friend" asked us if we'd be happy to pay 7% to sell our house

Erm, no, why should we? His answer was that the company will bring people who want to buy our house - yeah, ours and everyone elses

Take your time, research, visit, research and more research.

We've no regrets about buying our home, but we're 10 years older and now want something different, hence hoping to move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.