Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What do you love about where you live?

What do you love about where you live?

Old Aug 11th 2015, 8:43 am
Just Joined

chris and steve hedges is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you love about where you live?

Hi all
Just wondering what it is about the area you chose to live in that you love. Now you are here would you choose somewhere else?
Chris.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice
Default Re: What do you love about where you live?

Originally Posted by chris and steve hedges
Hi all
Just wondering what it is about the area you chose to live in that you love. Now you are here would you choose somewhere else?
Chris.
Peaceful location, friendly locals, Portuguese and Brits,(but not too many), great weather, but chilly in the winter.

As we didn't need to be near the sea our decision was Alentejo, a good property with a decent plot and low level maintenance, as well as a sensible price. Also found a totally different approach from people and the local businesses compared to the Algarve, more of a community than what we experienced in a commercially oriented Algarve, so it suited us.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 12:06 pm
Just Joined

Sounds brilliant, meets all our requirements. We will rent first I think. Thank you for your reply. Anyone else love where they live?
Old Aug 11th 2015, 12:23 pm
Gold-Helmeted Member

captainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond reputecaptainflack has a reputation beyond repute

We're about half hour south of Lisbon, in Azeitao, just next to mount Arrabida.

Love the countryside, but also the proximity to big new shopping mall in Setubal as well as Lisbon if we want. Less than 40 mins from Lisbon airport is a bonus as we have family in UK, US and Brazil, and can get direct flights (including into northern Brazil, which is where my wife is from, rather than having to go to Sao Paulo and then series of internal flights up to Amazon).

House prices here pretty reasonable compared to more touristy areas, and very nice beaches. Few expats so helps trying to learn language, but can find expats in Lisbon of course if crave that. We found a really nice condominium with fairly big houses and nice sized plots ~800m2, which seems unusual here - we have two small kids and wanted the space and enough rooms in house. Lot of vinyards round here, drive through to the beaches over the mountain (more of a big hill) is beautiful.

Have an uncle with an apartment in Algarve, so we can get down there in couple of hours if we want to which would be harder to do on a friday evening with the kids if we were a bit further north.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 12:40 pm
Just Joined

Haven't been considering near Lisbon but does give us food for thought..learning Portuguese to s fashion but finding it hard especially the r. Lol
Old Aug 11th 2015, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Fuzeta, which is in the East Algarve. Love it and love the area, near Faro, Olhao, Tavira and Spain. Good train service.

But getting more and more popular, so hoping to head up to the Alentejo, near Ourique.

Much calmer, different outlook on life.

Although our local friends think we're mad, just want to do something different now. Been here almost 10 years.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

We are near Lagos in a little village that provides everything we need within walking distance Our house is.Perched on the top of a hill with stunning sea views..I used to live by the sea when I was young but spent the majority of my adult life in a foreign country and in a rural or urban location..hated it..Always wanted to get back to the ocean. Living as an Ex-pat prepared me however for a new life in Portugal . I love the large mix of Internationals here .I really like the Portuguese and their endless tolerance of so many 'incomers' I love the climate,even in winter (which is so short anyway compared to freezing cold and endless weeks of grey skies in NL It's nothing) Only downside so far has been the badly behaved tourists at the height of summer..I can see that becoming a problem in later yrs,For now though we can always up and go away for August.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 5:21 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Carvoeiro, no high rises, only 3 main streets, few hen and stag parties and the chips with everything tourst.
Up market restaurants if you want them.
Easily accessed fro the airport and national motoerway system.
Sizeable permanent population from a wide range of nationalities
Fantastic coastline, could be cornwall.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

We're close to Figueiro Dos Vinhos in the central zone and love everything about the area. It's very green, has the big lakes which are actually dammed rivers & very friendly people but not too many of 'em.

I don't intend to criticise the Algarve but it's not my cup of tea at all.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 6:31 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
We're close to Figueiro Dos Vinhos in the central zone and love everything about the area. It's very green, has the big lakes which are actually dammed rivers & very friendly people but not too many of 'em.

I don't intend to criticise the Algarve but it's not my cup of tea at all.
Albufeira, Villamoura and Quateria are mot mine either but they are just a part of the Algarve.
The Algarve is a region not a resort.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

+1 for the Algarve (but not the tourist bit - went there once and didn't like it) You wouldn't write off the south of England because you didn't like Bognor Regis would you ?

I love our Portuguese village, I am 20 minutes inland from the coast yet have a view of 15kms of it and out to sea. Quiet and peaceful in both Summer and Winter yet within a few minutes of two market towns, a big selection of restaurants. Fifteen minutes from an International Airport, Ten minutes from two Amazing Hospitals (if ever needed). All the year round culture (theatre, music, cinema, festivals etc) and sport events of Faro within twenty minutes and in a really international community including Dutch, German, English, South African and of course Portuguese neighbours.

I realised the other day that I have lived here half my life ! Lucky me

Last edited by MrBife; Aug 11th 2015 at 7:05 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

I'm very jealous of you all! My wish list will be,
Nearest airport 1 hour approx, walking distance to village. But near town for medical services, bigger shops etc. Not too close to neighbours. A view with greenery. Some English speaking people just to help with settling in, but not touristy cos I hate noisy people. What do you think folks, is it all achievable!
Old Aug 11th 2015, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrBife
+1 for the Algarve (but not the tourist bit - went there once and didn't like it) You wouldn't write off the south of England because you didn't like Bognor Regis would you ?

I love our Portuguese village, I am 20 minutes inland from the coast yet have a view of 15kms of it and out to sea. Quiet and peaceful in both Summer and Winter yet within a few minutes of two market towns, a big selection of restaurants. Fifteen minutes from an International Airport, Ten minutes from two Amazing Hospitals (if ever needed). All the year round culture (theatre, music, cinema, festivals etc) and sport events of Faro within twenty minutes and in a really international community including Dutch, German, English, South African and of course Portuguese neighbours.

I realised the other day that I have lived here half my life ! Lucky me
Where abouts are you? It sounds amazing.
Chris
Old Aug 11th 2015, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

My point is that the Algarve simply isn't my cup of tea at all........ others are very welcome to it but I personally don't like or want ANY of it.
Old Aug 11th 2015, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really niceMrBife is just really nice

Originally Posted by mfesharne
My point is that the Algarve simply isn't my cup of tea at all........ others are very welcome to it but I personally don't like or want ANY of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.