Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What is the best cheap car hire at Faro Airport?

What is the best cheap car hire at Faro Airport?

Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

emjharts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What is the best cheap car hire at Faro Airport?

Thanks so far for your replies, looking at all of them to compare. I'd like to know what people are saying about tolls though? Which car hire companies DON'T pre charge you for using the toll? We go to Spain alot and always avoid any toll roads so we would do the same here and just take the N125 and spent an extra 15 mins driving.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

bejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nicebejaboz is just really nice

Originally Posted by emjharts
Thanks so far for your replies, looking at all of them to compare. I'd like to know what people are saying about tolls though? Which car hire companies DON'T pre charge you for using the toll? We go to Spain alot and always avoid any toll roads so we would do the same here and just take the N125 and spent an extra 15 mins driving.
You have a choice with AutoSeason, you pay yourself or can, as we do just pre-pay on arrival in cash for the journies from and to the airport. If we use the A22 at other times we pay at a post office. They have no pre charge or transponder rent.
Old Feb 21st 2013, 3:30 pm
pdr
Forum Regular

pdr is an unknown quantity at this point

Some of them have transponders, Avis offered to activate the one in my car @1.50€/day. The toll is then automatically deducted from your credit card. Others offer a similar service, and some will charge your card with the toll fee and add an amount for admin after you've arrived home (potentially scary). Some offer a "pre-pay" service, and others allow you to sort it out yourself (but will charge your card with any costs if you fail to pay a toll). Read the Terms & Conditions, most companies now lay out their tolls policy there.

I've simply stopped using the A22 so haven't paid any tolls at all. At the "Spanish" end of the Algarve the traffic's fairly light and the N125 isn't the only option. From Tavira the roads up through Sao Bras de Alportel, Loule, Tunes, and Silves take you a long way on quiet roads with some very pretty scenery. Yes the motorway is quicker, but the Algarve is quite small so for most people on holiday it saves minutes rather than hours - in my opinion.

Last edited by pdr; Feb 21st 2013 at 3:38 pm. Reason: Added sentence about Terms & Conditions.