Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What are the bad things about Portugal ?

What are the bad things about Portugal ?

Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

local is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What are the bad things about Portugal ?

Hi Local
Welcome to the forum,you are most welcome,and its nice to have a Portuguese perspective
Thank you, that is why I decided to join, I don't want to be an intruder. Since I was welcomed by you, I don't think I am one...

Im afraid british do get suspicious if someone smiles at them and says hello
Its a rare occurence in Uk.
I went back in April,walked into a bar and did just that,they thought I was mad!!!! I had forgotten its not the "done thing" over there
That's intersting, cause after one is nice to you, you get all nice with us too, why do you behave different with yourselves?

I know a few "bandits" in the Algarve who see the tourist etc as a money making opportunity,must say I find it alot different up here
Right. Unfortunatly that is a real shame, run off from those guys, anyways, I bet they are very easy to identify, so don't even allow them to aproach.

Another thing I struggle myself with, is the buroucracy...I wish everything would be easier to deal with, but we like complicating easy things with papers.

You know what misses in Portugal? is trust that we can launch what is portuguese and sell it to the world as Spain is doing for the past decade. We cannot think of ourselves as inferior, my guess is that in time we are going on the way to achieve that, but as you know, everything goes slow in this country but things get made sooner or later!

Ps,which monument? I will call and say hello next time Im in Lisbon
Castelo de S.Jorge. Sure, I'll be glad

Last edited by local; Jul 19th 2008 at 5:16 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:29 pm
C'est la vie

TaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond reputeTaviraTrog has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Local and welcome. It's good to hear the Portuguese perspective.

Perhaps one of the reasons that we look askance at people when they talk to us is that we are used to them trying to sell us something - especially overseas. The result is that we are suspicious when someone approaches us.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

local is on a distinguished road

Hi Local and welcome. It's good to hear the Portuguese perspective.
Thank you.
Perhaps one of the reasons that we look askance at people when they talk to us is that we are used to them trying to sell us something - especially overseas. The result is that we are suspicious when someone approaches us
Fair enough!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 5:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

anna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud ofanna58 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by local
I have no idea if I belong to this comunity, once I'm not British, but Portuguese. But, anyways, I'm taking this oportunity to introduce myself and tell what did drag me here...
Knowing that Algarve is chosen for thousands of British every year, I was wondering what it may appeal to them, so I simply found this forum and I've learnt a lot of your own experiences and it's amusing at times to see how you see Portuguese living, but mostly is intersting to see through different eyes the experience of living here, once since I was born here and have ever lived here, can't exactly get the same views from outcomers.

I live in Lisbon, have been in Algarve for several times for vacations, and allow me please to share my experience as Portuguese about what I see in Algarve, I won't put it in straight way of what is good or bad...I will mention some items that I believe they deserve some attention and perhaps some explanation.

The streets are the first welcome Algarve offers to you, in the streets you find lots of restaurants, to me, I have to look where the portuguese menu is written, I can read at almost every restaurante or café English Break Fast menu. The hotels have staff who speak Englsih, people in the shops speak English, at some they don't, but mostly they do...as to sum up, I'd say British people in general are very well treated, cause the services are thinking to welcome you.

Laid back attitude, that is fact that none is about to change with our Restaurant services....you get to get used and think that is how we work, I don't agree about the lack of effeciency, we can take time in doing things but we sure care about being proffesional in what you do, do it well and we like to please the customers. I also get annoyed when the clerk is talking for an endless time and we must like 'hmmhmm' to make him/her to get their attention at us...Other aspect I agree with you is, the driving, I cannot drive as most of the people do, trust me, I am not maniac when I drive, yes, and I'm portuguese, I see it pointless the behaviour of some drivers, I always say that the police isn't where is neccessary to be for punish them

One thing that kept me wondering was, masterbaits said this:

For the first, yes do not live in schems, don't ever get convinced to a person to do schems, but brazialian people are the ones you should be attentive to, cause they can easily put you in 'traps'.

Please do not generalise, as I said I am not.

A doubt, by saying everyone is on the make, is the same as everyone is cheating you? If is that, no, again, that is not true. Do not confuse gentle manners as a way to cheat you, it happens to me, I work at a monument in Lisbon, and when I say ' hello, goodmorning' people sometimes turn their backs and say, oh this to pay, only because I was nice, I have no idea of how the British use to attend their customers, but isn't a common thing everywhere to smile at them and say hello, or good evening etc...? what I sense generally is, not just British, but general tourists get suspicious when we are nice, they think we will cheat them after...that is sad and untrue. But then when we talk to them until the end of what is the service about, they get relaxed and all goes well, and it's been a joy for me to work with British people, you are very intersted about everything and quite exigent, you expect quality at wherever you go, there is nothing that scapes from your eagle eye.... I'm a guide at where I work.

I'm sorry if I rambled, but I just wanted to leave a Portuguese impression...mostly my advice is enjoy your living/vacations here and allow yourselves the difference of a new country.
Oh, I agree with you local I have been here 20 years and, except from very occasional shops and rrestaurants and we never need to go back there again, I have never received anything but kind and generous treatment from Portuguese people and I have wonderful neighbours and friends and mostly from people who, to be honest, are not as well off as me and might feel resentful that my life is comfortable, (and we are not wealthy, just average English people with a pension and a small car) I marvel that my neighbours don't resent me and accept me as a neighbour. I think people should know that Portuguese people don't invite people into their homes lightly, and if they do you are really accepted as family and welcome and given a very different status than we English who casually invite people into our homes without commitment.

Last edited by anna58; Jul 19th 2008 at 5:55 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2008, 6:26 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by anna58
Oh, I agree with you local I have been here 20 years and, except from very occasional shops and rrestaurants and we never need to go back there again, I have never received anything but kind and generous treatment from Portuguese people and I have wonderful neighbours and friends and mostly from people who, to be honest, are not as well off as me and might feel resentful that my life is comfortable, (and we are not wealthy, just average English people with a pension and a small car) I marvel that my neighbours don't resent me and accept me as a neighbour. I think people should know that Portuguese people don't invite people into their homes lightly, and if they do you are really accepted as family and welcome and given a very different status than we English who casually invite people into our homes without commitment.
Well said Anna,I agree totally
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:33 pm
Just Joined

terrytheengine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Zincubus
Hey !! Hello everyone !

YOu all know the bad points of the UK .....far too many to list here !

We are thinking of moving full time to Portugal and are coming for 10 days in Aug 08 to have a look around.

We realise that every country has it's problems and were wondering what you dislike about Portugal.

We are aware that works is fairly hard to find and that wages are pretty low but we don't intend to live a lavish lifestyle -just the basics will suffice !!

Thinking of long term rental of a 1 bed rented place , ideally near or in Lagos.

Thanks in advance !
Hi , terrytheengine here, I have been trying, to no avail, to reply to your enquiry
Old Jul 19th 2008, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by terrytheengine
Hi , terrytheengine here, I have been trying, to no avail, to reply to your enquiry
just click "new reply" on the last post,and type what you want to put
Old Jul 19th 2008, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Algarveaddick
Mmmmm, not so sure about that Supremegermalene. In town you have safety in numbers, and some nasty assults have taken place in out of the way areas. The serious criminals target those places, because thats where the money is...

It also depends on where you come from in the UK, if you come from an area like I did, you are used to looking out for yourself and not looking like a victim. My wife and I both feel 10 times safer than we did in the UK, and we didn't feel that threatened there to be honest. A lot of it is about frame of mind.

Agree with anna58, although it is mostly thoughlessness, rather than actual cruelty, and they treat people thoughtlessly too if you think about it...
I guess its hard for me to be objective as I was mugged in Luz when I was 15, my Mum and her friend had stopped to help out someone we know that had passed out so told me & my friend to walk on ahead home and we were mugged, right on the front road when cars were allowed to drive down it so it was fairly busy with good lighting. There were loads of people around as it was right near the International (Bar Habana). In the UK I have never been exposed to anything like that, I spent 4 years at Cardiff Uni and walked home most nights with other girlfriends and we never had any trouble, and Cardiff is not exactly a safe place.

G
Old Jul 20th 2008, 8:46 am
Just Joined

terrytheengine is an unknown quantity at this point

We have lived here, close to Lagos, for 24 years and seen a lot of changes, some for the good and others not so good, however we have never regretted our decison to move here.
What you have to remember is that there is no such place as Útopia, there are always´for and against arguments, but overall, as far as we are concerned Portugal wins hands down.
SNIP,NO ads allowed
Sorry Cleri, I was just replying to their request for information.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 9:10 am

Sorry Cleri, I was just replying to their request for information.
Ah,a private message.
You can do that now you have 3 posts.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

masterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to all

hi local , welcome.

PLease dont take my task out of context . its primarilly a world post not a country specific one..

You see they are golden rules for life , ones which should bot be ignored anywhere , be it holiday or at wherever your home is , be that the uk or portu.Its about remembering to be vigiliant for all life , not stupid because one is on "holiday" be that pernament or temporary.

Thing is i notice the trend that you speak of the anglifying of once wholly portuguese resturants.Not something i like , in fact I frequent a couple of cafes and resturants that only speak portuguese , and only eat portuguese style food , except fish ...hate the stuff , wife luvs it though.

Still on the topic of resturants and the service beginning to "suck".I witness that now too , and I am not portuguese , but we get talked to less as we are locals and regulars...still get the occasional freebie though , and if truth be told we are never done talling the tourists to go to these places to eat more than egg and chips.You cant really begrudge some tailoring for the tourist market , after all what about the other 10 months of the year when the algarve isnt full of portuguese , they have to make money somehow to stay open for the next august invasion.

sorry long post , wife say i type like I make love , what does that mean?
Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

Zincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really nice

terrytheengine
Please check your private messages !!
Old Jul 20th 2008, 11:28 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by masterbaits
sorry long post , wife say i type like I make love , what does that mean?
That she can't understand you either?
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Titleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond reputeTitleist has a reputation beyond repute

For the last six years and on average three visits per year to Portugal i have only witnessed just the once some trouble on the beach where a man had stolen a wallet from a bag. Unfortunately he had to pass my best friends restuarant to make his escape but failed.
He was dealt with before being handed over to the police, and im afraid to say the man was ENGLISH.
Pehaps i am lucky in respect that we have Portugese friends that look after us without any hesitation each time we are in Portugal and one of the main reasons we are moving to Portugal,is to be with them and to adjust to what i think and hope to be a better lifestyle for all my family.
I would like to finish this thread by saying that i have had enough of the UK with all the crime and fatal stabbings ( two in the last four days) and of course rip off Britain. In britain you live to work in Portugal you work to live.
I know portugal is not perfect but it is a darn sight better than Britain. with a little hard work we can have a better life.
Titleist.
Old Jul 23rd 2008, 6:36 am
Getting younger every day

sagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond reputesagalaut has a reputation beyond repute

QUOTE " LOCAL "

and when I say ' hello, goodmorning' people sometimes turn their backs and say, oh this to pay, only because I was nice, I have no idea of how the British use to attend their customers, but isn't a common thing everywhere to smile at them and say hello, or good evening etc...? what I sense generally is, not just British, but general tourists get suspicious when we are nice, they think we will cheat them after...that is sad and untrue.

Now try this lark in England, ie. Say hello to a total stranger. They think you want to rob them or rape them. Worse still, walk up to a child and say hello. Now watch the reaction of the parents.....
Just some of the reasons we live here now.
Be proud of your country, carry on being nice, the ones in the know will appreciate it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.