Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

What are the bad things about Portugal ?

What are the bad things about Portugal ?

Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

Zincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really nice
Default What are the bad things about Portugal ?

Hey !! Hello everyone !

YOu all know the bad points of the UK .....far too many to list here !

We are thinking of moving full time to Portugal and are coming for 10 days in Aug 08 to have a look around.

We realise that every country has it's problems and were wondering what you dislike about Portugal.

We are aware that works is fairly hard to find and that wages are pretty low but we don't intend to live a lavish lifestyle -just the basics will suffice !!

Thinking of long term rental of a 1 bed rented place , ideally near or in Lagos.

Thanks in advance !
Old Jul 12th 2008, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Zincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really niceZincubus is just really nice
Default Re: What are the bad things about Portugal ?

Check out the BIG news of the day here in the good old uk !

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...eaths-in-a-day .

Scary stuff folks - it doesn't mention the teenager shot dead this afternoon !
Old Jul 12th 2008, 10:11 pm
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

Welcome to the forum

Gaz will be back on Monday. He works in property and lives close to Lagos. I'm sure he'll be happy to advise.
Old Jul 13th 2008, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

masterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to all

check out casa sapo on tinterweb , local estate agents also have rentals on their books for long terms....might want to widen to vale de telha also , but if your after a bit more night life then dont...theres a forum somewhere which your would google for for vdt(as they like to call it).
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:24 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by masterbaits
check out casa sapo on tinterweb , local estate agents also have rentals on their books for long terms....might want to widen to vale de telha also , but if your after a bit more night life then dont...theres a forum somewhere which your would google for for vdt(as they like to call it).
What's he ever done to deserve that?
Old Jul 13th 2008, 8:59 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Old Jul 13th 2008, 9:20 am

I wouldnt say bad,but annoying things for me are
Lack of choice and price in shops.
Inefficiency.....in everything but its getting better.
The driving but you get used to it.

There is so much to make up for any minor irritations,and of course we are now so laid back,things dont bother us much anymore anyway.
Its not perfect,nowhere is,but it will do for me
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Keep the comments flowing , please !!
Old Jul 15th 2008, 9:47 pm
Escaped to the Sun

Mattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really niceMattiespeople is just really nice

Warning!
The wine and beer is toooo cheap so you have to drink lots!
same for food!!!
Sun too hot so not healthy - you need dull rainy days on your pale skin.
Beach and surf far tooo attractive, could keep you away from work.
Cost of living amazingly low 'v' UK, so again may not be good for making you work long hard days

Warning only Check out
http://www.valedatelha.eu/default.aspx
if you are aware that:
as a young person it may be far too dull 4 you - and not much available re jobs (like sod all) - also v South Algarve 'v' cheap (low wages) so best to save up and not pop out this way til u r ready to retire and you have saved up a few bob.
BUT so worth a visit if you want to Surf or BBoard
Boa Sorte.
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:09 am
Not So Senior Member!

max0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond reputemax0603 has a reputation beyond repute

As Cleri says the driving standard is appalling! But bless 'em they don't think they are doing wrong. If a workman says he will be round tomorrow expect him to turn up about September! Also the service in shops, restaurants etc is so laid back you wonder if they are still awake. But you learn to chill and go with the flow
Old Jul 16th 2008, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Algarveaddick is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by max0603
As Cleri says the driving standard is appalling! But bless 'em they don't think they are doing wrong. If a workman says he will be round tomorrow expect him to turn up about September! Also the service in shops, restaurants etc is so laid back you wonder if they are still awake. But you learn to chill and go with the flow
Careful Max, you'll upset Derbyflan...

Old Jul 16th 2008, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by max0603
Oooo yes,i forgot about standing in a shop waiting to be served whilst they finish their conversation Or go off half way through serving you cos someone else has asked them something
Good job we have all the time in the world
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Supremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud ofSupremegermalene has much to be proud of

Depends where you go, for me I find in the winter if you are in a tourist resort it gets very depressing as everything is shut, it's cold and damp (everything goes mouldy if you don't have heating or a de-humidifier), for the younger crowd there isn't much to do and from experience they tend to rotate going to others houses and smoking dope and doing drugs as they have nothing else to do. I didn't get much exposure to drugs when I was in my teens / early twenties in the UK, but in Portugal I was permanently surrounded by it. I think may have been lucky and realise now it is far more common all around me in the UK than I thought but it was a case of over there I didn't know anyone that didn't do it.

The answer is to live somewhere where your neighbours don't change every 2 weeks, life is more constant not up and down, you have heating and get into a hobby that you can do all year round and is not totally weather dependant!

My real irritation though....is the queues in the banks. Oh and how the shops shut in the middle of the day for a long lunch.

G
Old Jul 16th 2008, 1:06 pm
ex-squaddie

Originally Posted by Algarveaddick
Careful Max, you'll upset Derbyflan...

Ahhh!
Old Jul 16th 2008, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Supremegermalene ... regarding the drugs situation - is that typical of all Portugal ??

We are thinking of settling in /or around the Lagos area - how is the drugs situation there ?

We are hoping to get AWAY from drunk and drugged upteenagers to be honest !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.