Reload this Page >

wanting to buy a car locally

wanting to buy a car locally

Old Apr 21st 2018, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

UK2PTviaNZandChina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wanting to buy a car locally

Hi everyone,

My wife and our dogs are coming to PT in August 2018 for AT LEAST 6 months direct from our China exit (after ten years) to acclimatise to Europe, and I want to get a car locally, despite the local premium prices. We'll be based 30km to the East of Coimbra.

Anyone recommend a place to go?

Last edited by Rosemary; Apr 28th 2018 at 6:22 am.
Old Apr 21st 2018, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: wanting to buy a car locally

I can recommend a place NOT to go which is sevensports at Condeixa A Nova near Coimbra because they're absolute skellums who will tuck you up like a kipper at the drop of a hat............... they're as bent as a nine bob note & as dodgy as a fish with feathers!
Old Apr 21st 2018, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mfesharne
I can recommend a place NOT to go which is sevensports at Condeixa A Nova near Coimbra because they're absolute skellums who will tuck you up like a kipper at the drop of a hat............... they're as bent as a nine bob note & as dodgy as a fish with feathers!
So, reading between the lines.......perhaps give them a miss?
Old Apr 21st 2018, 11:00 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diddion
So, reading between the lines.......perhaps give them a miss?
D'you think??
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Other than that, they're OK lol!
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Rather than list all the places NOT to go, which is meant to be helpful (I am sure) it would be vastly more helpful if replies were closer to the question asked, i.e. towards any recommendations based on good experiences that have been had.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 10:11 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UK2PTviaNZandChina
Rather than list all the places NOT to go, which is meant to be helpful (I am sure) it would be vastly more helpful if replies were closer to the question asked, i.e. towards any recommendations based on good experiences that have been had.
You've asked quite a specific question requiring both local knowledge and experience - so being warned off a place is a pretty good result. Many expats bring their cars and re-matriculate them, others buy privately and others (like me) may well have bought locally, but may not be near to you and/or willing to recommend the place where they bought.

So, there are two possible outcomes - either your question sits unanswered and fades away, or someone throws a pebble into the pond which keeps the thread alive and increases the possibility of you getting the answer you desire.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I bought private, through olx.pt or standvirtual.pt

you can specify price, fuel, area, etc and see what comes up.

I wanted a turbo diesel with 2 airbags [many older cars had just driver's side] under 4,500.
I found one, but just one.

The dealers are 30% more expensive, but then you get some warranty.
Supposedly.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I bought private, through olx.pt or standvirtual.pt

you can specify price, fuel, area, etc and see what comes up.

I wanted a turbo diesel with 2 airbags [many older cars had just driver's side] under 4,500.
I found one, but just one.

The dealers are 30% more expensive, but then you get some warranty.
Supposedly.
Great. A fantastic start. Thanks. Now we're cooking. I just need such websites in English...

Last edited by UK2PTviaNZandChina; Apr 22nd 2018 at 7:40 pm. Reason: clarity
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 9:08 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by UK2PTviaNZandChina
Great. A fantastic start. Thanks. Now we're cooking. I just need such websites in English...
Yeah, maybe private sales aren't the place to look if you don't speak Portuguese.....
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't speak a word; you just auto translate the essential terms, then whole ads that might be interesting.
You're going to have to start sometime.

Google chrome will translate whole websites they say; I haven't tried it myself.
Old Apr 22nd 2018, 11:28 pm
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by liveaboard
I didn't speak a word; you just auto translate the essential terms, then whole ads that might be interesting.
You're going to have to start sometime.

Google chrome will translate whole websites they say; I haven't tried it myself.
I understand that, but there are issues like how you get the ownership transferred, checking there's no back-tax owing, etc., etc. If you're lucky with the seller, all goes fine - but if not, there's a whole host of possible issues.

If it were me I'd either use a foreign registered car for 6 months or find some other temporary solution - that will give time to meet other expats in the area and see what they have to say.

I ended up buying mine from a local mechanic/breakdown operator who had rebuilt the engine after a cambelt failure..... he got it for a song because the previous owner didn't want to pay out over €1000 to get it back on the road, he did the work in his spare time and sold it on. So I got a car with a newly rebuilt engine and a "warranty" as the mechanic was just down the road.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 5:20 am
BE Forum Addict

I'd suggest buying from a dealer & preferably from a main dealer with their own on site workshop because of the guarantee issue.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macliam
I understand that, but there are issues like how you get the ownership transferred, checking there's no back-tax owing, etc., etc. If you're lucky with the seller, all goes fine - but if not, there's a whole host of possible
I answered an add on E-Beira for a van for sale by the owner who had gone back to the UK and was not coming back to Portugal. After getting the registration number from the owner I went to the Financas who told me there was no outstanding tax on the van. They also explained that had there been any tax due it would be the registered owner not the buyer who has to pay.

I then went to the Conservatoria who explained all about the transfer into my name. The gave me the forms needed for the transfer and told me what had to be filled in my the owner and what I had to fill in.

On my return I took the forms to the Conservatoria and paid about 60€ and the van was now mine.

Also get the registration number of any car/ van and make your own checks it's so common here that area to area do things there own way all you need to do is go and ask your own questions

Last edited by peterfc; Apr 23rd 2018 at 10:15 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2018, 10:25 am
Resident Cynic

Originally Posted by peterfc
I answered an add on E-Beira for a van for sale by the owner who had gone back to the UK and was not coming back to Portugal. After getting the registration number from the owner I went to the Financas who told me there was no outstanding tax on the van. They also explained that had there been any tax due it would be the registered owner not the buyer who has to pay.

I then went to the Conservatoria who explained all about the transfer into my name. The gave me the forms needed for the transfer and told me what had to be filled in my the owner and what I had to fill in.

On my return I took the forms to the Conservatoria and paid about 60€ and the van was now mine.

Also get the registration number of any car/ van and make your own checks it's so common here that area to area do things there own way all you need to do is go and ask your own questions
I'm glad that worked for you and that you found someone willing to explain everything needed to you.

Unfortunately, this is not always the case - I remember someone a couple of years ago who bought a 4x4 and registered it..... then on going to get the tax sorted out he was told there was back-tax owing and they would not tax it for him until that was sorted. I don't know why this happened, but I can't see why he would lie about it......

I'd rather check out everything locally than jump in feet first and regret it later, hence my earlier advice .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.