Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Want to move to Portugal

Want to move to Portugal

Old May 26th 2006, 12:37 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Want to move to Portugal

I am living in the UK and am looking at Central Portugal as a place to live.
Basically I miss the sun, having lived in South Africa for 15 years where I have lived, worked- with and socialized with Portuguese. I like them and their lifestyle and their attitude to life. I have also been to Portugal a couple of times but not for prolonged stays. Despite that I don’t speak the language – yet!
I am about to receive a Uk basic pension and am wondering
if it would be a proposition to buy one of the ruins that are advertised
in the Coimbra - Gois area and do it up to live there. Somewhere within striking distance of a large town.
I’m 64 and well qualified in computers and could work for myself at home or as a consultant, or even building computers; chasing viruses – etc.

Any input from somebody would be most welcome

Nomad_H
Old May 31st 2006, 1:43 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Want to move to Portugal

Hi Nomad
We live in western algarve at the moment,but are re locating to central Portugal.
Why not buy a ruin if you are able to restore it,will you do it yourself?
Portugal has its problems,like everywhere else,but we find it a great place to live,and the cost of living is cheaper than uk although not as cheap as it used to be.
The weather in the central region is cooler than Algarve of course,and more rain,but the summers are good,Go for it!
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:26 pm
---------

Nomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond reputeNomad_H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Hi Nomad
We live in western algarve at the moment,but are re locating to central Portugal.
Why not buy a ruin if you are able to restore it,will you do it yourself?
Portugal has its problems,like everywhere else,but we find it a great place to live,and the cost of living is cheaper than uk although not as cheap as it used to be.
The weather in the central region is cooler than Algarve of course,and more rain,but the summers are good,Go for it!

Hi Cleri
Thanks for your input I really appreciate it. Yes I would look around for a ruin that I could either do up or have fixed up. My needs are simple, I need a roof; a glass of red wine and a plate of chourico sausage and some sunshine and then I’m anybody’s.
Seriously though. A chap sent me an email some months ago and told that £60 a week
would just about pay for my food and wine in central Portugal – isn’t that a bit steep?
It doesn’t even cost me that much in the UK.
Just for myself I eat about 1 chicken a week some fish and a steak and lots of veg & salads.
If I came out and rented a place while I look for a place to buy possibly that may be expensive. Anyway I question his words.
Once again thanks for your reply.
Regards, Nomad.
Old Jun 1st 2006, 6:09 pm

Well I reckon you will need at least 1000 euros a month
utilities are not cheap
that also depends on if you are running a car etc.
I would be happy to give you a break down of our costs if you pm me
Regards
CG
Old Jun 1st 2006, 9:00 pm
Just Joined

vdtfan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Nomad
Hope you achieve your dream by moving to Portugal but Clerigo is about right you probably would need 1000 euros monthly but I reckon u wouldn't need 60 per week, I know I get by on much less and still manage to eat(and drink) very well being on my own
I have a holiday home in Vale d Telha which is an expensive area owing to the number of expats but move inland around the Alentejo area, find yourself a ruin with a bit of land where u can grow your own vines and live the good life get a little caravan or mobile (look on the 1 2 3 weekly paper)
Cheers
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 6:56 pm
---------

Originally Posted by vdtfan
Hi Nomad
Hope you achieve your dream by moving to Portugal but Clerigo is about right you probably would need 1000 euros monthly but I reckon u wouldn't need 60 per week, I know I get by on much less and still manage to eat(and drink) very well being on my own
I have a holiday home in Vale d Telha which is an expensive area owing to the number of expats but move inland around the Alentejo area, find yourself a ruin with a bit of land where u can grow your own vines and live the good life get a little caravan or mobile (look on the 1 2 3 weekly paper)
Cheers
Thanks vdtfan - your advice sounds good. I live very simply - dont need materialistic things, only computers and internet connection.
Some of the ruins I,ve seen on the net look better than what some people live in here in the UK. I think I might do better to come out and try to find one myself though rather than go through an internet agent - what do you think?? One last question: Would it be better to buy a little caravan over there or bring one with me - from an economic standpoint??
Make that 2 last questions: The 1000 Euros a month - is that an amount to live on without accomodation??

Cheers and many thanks for your input.
You've cheered me up ....Nomad
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 7:05 pm
---------

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
Well I reckon you will need at least 1000 euros a month
utilities are not cheap
that also depends on if you are running a car etc.
I would be happy to give you a break down of our costs if you pm me
Regards
CG
Hi Cleri
Got your pm - your a star. The info helps. Hope all your plans come to fruition re: your move to Central Portugal I'm sure we will keep in touch.
One last thing - if you are spending a lot of money on overseas calls you ought to look at Skype. If you havent yet heard of it let me know and I'll
update you.
One other last thing: When I was in Cape Town my Portuguese mates drank a drink called Catamba (Spelling maybe wrong), but it's wine and coke - do they drink it where you are - I love it!!

Best regards

Nomad
Old Jun 2nd 2006, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Nomad_H
Hi Cleri
Got your pm - your a star. The info helps. Hope all your plans come to fruition re: your move to Central Portugal I'm sure we will keep in touch.
One last thing - if you are spending a lot of money on overseas calls you ought to look at Skype. If you havent yet heard of it let me know and I'll
update you.
One other last thing: When I was in Cape Town my Portuguese mates drank a drink called Catamba (Spelling maybe wrong), but it's wine and coke - do they drink it where you are - I love it!!

Best regards

Nomad
hey Nomad
No the 1000 was without rent or mortgage.
Havent heard about that drink,but be sure I am gunna investigate this with my portuguese buddies!!!!!will keep you informed.
Stay cool and get yourself over here
Love Cleri
Old Jun 4th 2006, 4:56 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

G'day,

Half Portuguese, lived there for the first 13 years of my life and go back once a year, life in Portugal is changing it is indeed a little bit more expensive than it use to be before, but not as expensive as the Uk i find it, in terms of property i believe a ruin and then restore would be the cheaper solution, or an apartment.

Go for it and good luck, better give it a go, than not go at all and then dwell over what could have been...

Have a Sagres

PM me if you need more info/photos of Portugal and so on. Actually i'll upload the photos and will add to the topic soon, bear with me.
Old Jun 4th 2006, 5:12 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

more soon...
Old Jun 4th 2006, 5:58 pm
---------

Originally Posted by Boomerang
G'day,

Half Portuguese, lived there for the first 13 years of my life and go back once a year, life in Portugal is changing it is indeed a little bit more expensive than it use to be before, but not as expensive as the Uk i find it, in terms of property i believe a ruin and then restore would be the cheaper solution, or an apartment.

Go for it and good luck, better give it a go, than not go at all and then dwell over what could have been...

Have a Sagres

PM me if you need more info/photos of Portugal and so on. Actually i'll upload the photos and will add to the topic soon, bear with me.
Thankyou Boomerang.. You,ve cheered me up on a Sunday afternoon and I like the photographs. I havent got Sagres at the moment but I'm making do with Scotch whisky - a more than reasonable substitute.
Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

Nomad
Old Jun 5th 2006, 5:49 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Thankyou Boomerang.. You,ve cheered me up on a Sunday afternoon and I like the photographs. I havent got Sagres at the moment but I'm making do with Scotch whisky - a more than reasonable substitute.
Thanks for your comments.

Cheers

Nomad
Hey Nomad, I'm a when-we porta who was born in Lisbon, raised in Rhodies, but lived in S.A. for many years post uncle bob, until my move stateside.

Catemba is a Mozambican drink, so if they're Mozambicans living in Portugal, they'll know what it is (nothing quite like one when you're thirsty )

There are many native S.A'ns living in Portugal, and even South African clubs around (I do know that there is one in central Port, but can't recall the name right now). Maybe email the S.A. embassy in Lisbon and ask?
Old Jun 6th 2006, 8:11 pm
---------

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Hey Nomad, I'm a when-we porta who was born in Lisbon, raised in Rhodies, but lived in S.A. for many years post uncle bob, until my move stateside.

Catemba is a Mozambican drink, so if they're Mozambicans living in Portugal, they'll know what it is (nothing quite like one when you're thirsty )

There are many native S.A'ns living in Portugal, and even South African clubs around (I do know that there is one in central Port, but can't recall the name right now). Maybe email the S.A. embassy in Lisbon and ask?
Hi Tourist Trap
Many thanks for enlightening me on the Catemba and I'll certainly follow the South African connections up. What I'm really trying to find out is how far my British pension will go livingwise, but the numbers up to now work out about 45% more than it costs me to live in the UK, which is a pity because I'd heard Portugal was a lot cheaper.
Anyway I'll press on.

Best regards
Nomad
Old Jun 6th 2006, 8:33 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Hi Tourist Trap
Many thanks for enlightening me on the Catemba and I'll certainly follow the South African connections up. What I'm really trying to find out is how far my British pension will go livingwise, but the numbers up to now work out about 45% more than it costs me to live in the UK, which is a pity because I'd heard Portugal was a lot cheaper.
Anyway I'll press on.

Best regards
Nomad
I hope you come right.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 6:57 pm

Hi Tourist Trap
Anyway I'll press on.

Best regards
Nomad
Dont forget,I live in Algarve,which is the most expensive place you could pick!!!!
Get yourself to the alentejo or somewhere up north,and prices will be much cheaper,although Im afriad utilities are the same.Dont be put off,why not try a thread asking the northerners what they are paying?
Love Cleri

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.