Reload this Page >

Vehicle Matriculation

Vehicle Matriculation

Old Feb 25th 2018, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Denise Roets is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Vehicle Matriculation

Originally Posted by Jollity
Thanks again tootlewagon and mfesharne too for your very explicit contribution. As I said, I am not a Portuguese resident and may not be for some time (if ever) despite living most of the time here. I'll first try to locate the Customs office nearest to me and hope to speak with someone regarding whether it's a no-go situation with the left-side opening door. I'm not so hopeful, now. But again, thank you all.
Hi Just wondering if you found out if the left hand side door is not acceptable. I am also interested in trying to matriculate a motor home, but I have not yet applied for residency and the problem is further complicated by the fact that the vehicle is actually registered in my daughter's name who lives in the UK so I don't think I am likely to be able to sort out that problem. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding getting the vehicle back to the UK without having to drive it oneself?
Old Feb 25th 2018, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vehicle Matriculation

Originally Posted by Denise Roets
Hi Just wondering if you found out if the left hand side door is not acceptable. I am also interested in trying to matriculate a motor home, but I have not yet applied for residency and the problem is further complicated by the fact that the vehicle is actually registered in my daughter's name who lives in the UK so I don't think I am likely to be able to sort out that problem. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding getting the vehicle back to the UK without having to drive it oneself?
If it's registered in your Daughter's name then you can't matriculate it tax free.

If it has UK tax, test & insurance then it can legally be driven back to the UK but if not, the only legal way to get it back there is to put it on the back of a truck.
Old Feb 25th 2018, 3:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mfesharne
If it's registered in your Daughter's name then you can't matriculate it tax free.

If it has UK tax, test & insurance then it can legally be driven back to the UK but if not, the only legal way to get it back there is to put it on the back of a truck.
Hi Yes it is still registered Mot'd til end May and insured from UK but I just didn't want to have to drive all that way etc and wanted to still be able to use the motorhome here in Portugal......as I now plan to stay here.......
Old Feb 25th 2018, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Yes it is still registered Mot'd til end May and insured from UK but I just didn't want to have to drive all that way etc and wanted to still be able to use the motorhome here in Portugal......as I now plan to stay here.......
If you don't want to pay the matriculation taxes then from a financial point of view you're much better off returning it to the UK whilst it's street legal because after that it's effectively only worth it's scrap value.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the info.......I am very sorry to hear that I will probably have to head back to the UK ..........I was really keen to remain in Portugal.....
Old Feb 26th 2018, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

AndyPT is an unknown quantity at this point

You only have to pay 30% of the tax, so I think at least it's worth trying to estimate the amount here: aduaneiro.portaldasfinancas.gov.pt/jsp/main.jsp?body=/ia/simuladorISV.jsp

check "Autocaravana. (Taxa de 30% do imposto resultante da aplicação da tabela B)"

Last edited by AndyPT; Feb 26th 2018 at 1:10 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2018, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Oh thanks AndyPT I will look into that....... Thanks so much for the information.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute

Do "they" really ask for a document (certificate) that states you have officially ceased being a resident of UK?
From what I gather you can't actually get such a thing while you are in the UK but the consul in Lisbon will sort it out - how do they know you are no longer planning on living in UK?
Am I confused again? (likely!)
Old Feb 28th 2018, 8:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzer70
Do "they" really ask for a document (certificate) that states you have officially ceased being a resident of UK?
From what I gather you can't actually get such a thing while you are in the UK but the consul in Lisbon will sort it out - how do they know you are no longer planning on living in UK?
Am I confused again? (likely!)
Yes they do ! As to the Consulate they assume you are telling the truth.
Old Feb 28th 2018, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Yes they do ! As to the Consulate they assume you are telling the truth.
Do they not cross-reference with HMRC, for example?
Old Feb 28th 2018, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichardHenshall
Do they not cross-reference with HMRC, for example?
Doubt it .
Old Feb 28th 2018, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I had a similar situation; my big old camper [1979 Mercedes 508 7 meters long] had to return home [its home, not mine], and I didn't want to drive it there.
So I advertised it [there] at a steep discount, and sure enough someone came down to Portugal, bought it, and drove it back.
But now the value of the thing turns out to be really high in Portugal; sometimes I think I should have paid the tax and kept it.
It was a beast, probably good it's gone.
Old Mar 2nd 2018, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Interesting and worth bearing in mind. Thanks.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

UK2PTviaNZandChina is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting and worth bearing in mind. Thanks.
Did you yet find anyone to take the motorhome back to the UK for you?
Old Apr 11th 2018, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Hi No......I have been using it for a while, but now want to sell it either here or back in the UK, as my plans are now to remain in Portugal. Any suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.