Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Vehicle Matriculation

Vehicle Matriculation

Old Jul 3rd 2017, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vehicle Matriculation

Originally Posted by Jollity
Thank you so much, again Red Eric.
I'll make some more enquiries.
Regards,
The nearest customs office to do the documentation is probably Faro - right in the old town by the harbour. Fatoir, the agent refered to in another post has offices nearby. I used them and paid the money and they were excellent but that does not mean you will have to spend a considerable amount of time getting together the right paperwork.
Note that also the "Duty Exempt" import is only available if you become a resident and they will check on you - I had two customs officials on my doorstep ( Surprise, Surprise ! ) about six months after I had completed the process to check if I was actually living here.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 9:53 am
Just Joined

Jollity is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you Loafing Along (wish I'd thought of that moniker first).
I'll make contact with Fatoir - out of interest, what were their fees? And as I mentioned earlier, residency is not in my mind (at present...), so I'm prepared to take the import duty on the chin. Thing is this is definitely not a decision of the head - it's an old vehicle that barely makes it to 60mph downhill but my wife loves it almost (but it's close) as much as me. So all this is for her.
Regards.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jollity
Thank you Loafing Along (wish I'd thought of that moniker first).
I'll make contact with Fatoir - out of interest, what were their fees? And as I mentioned earlier, residency is not in my mind (at present...), so I'm prepared to take the import duty on the chin. Thing is this is definitely not a decision of the head - it's an old vehicle that barely makes it to 60mph downhill but my wife loves it almost (but it's close) as much as me. So all this is for her.
Regards.

They charge Euro 400,-
Correct spelling is Faotir - my mistake earlier
Old Jul 4th 2017, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

The Agloinfo website has some links and info on this.
It includes a tax simulator, which may make your decision easier. It's in Portuguese but auto translates ok.

https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/por...-an-eu-vehicle

But I think you may need to prove that you are a resident to be able to do this.
From the list of requirements on the site...
"Proof of residency (Cartão de Residência), evidence of application for residency, or proof of residence (property title deeds, rental contract, utility bills, insurance certificate)
A certificate of cancellation of residence issued by the former country of residence or their Consulate in Portugal"
Old Jul 4th 2017, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

If you don't become resident and import I would hazard a guess of it costing around a grand to import.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Jollity is an unknown quantity at this point

Thak you both AliceCaroline and gedscottish.

I had a quote from Euro Business Centre:
1,031 euros for Matriculation (so good guess gs)
76 euros for MOT
120 euros for number plates & other docs.
and 400 euros + IVA for their fees

Following kind advice from others on this forum I informed E.C. about the left-hand opening door and I am now awaiting their reply to know if this is an impediment.
This is a crazy exercise I know. This is what happens when you graduate from a tent to a campervan and then go and decide to take it with you to a house you've bought in Portugal - because, although you've come in from the cold, you're still a gypsy at heart.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:20 am
Just Joined

Denise Roets is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I have a question regarding my motorhome which I hope someone can help me with. I am planning to drive from UK to Portugal in our lovely motorhome, but once in Portugal I will no longer need the vehicle and would like to sell it, either in Portugal (which of course would be logistically easier)....... or if necessary for someone to drive it back to the UK to be sold. Any advice would be most welcomed.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Denise Roets
Hi I have a question regarding my motorhome which I hope someone can help me with. I am planning to drive from UK to Portugal in our lovely motorhome, but once in Portugal I will no longer need the vehicle and would like to sell it, either in Portugal (which of course would be logistically easier)....... or if necessary for someone to drive it back to the UK to be sold. Any advice would be most welcomed.
Try to ensure it has as long an MOT & Tax as possible because if they expire whilst the vehicle is here and/or before it's returned to the UK it can't be driven on the roads & therefore becomes virtually worthless.
Old Sep 19th 2017, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Or you could bring a car over to Portugal and when the time is up go back to the UK and register the car again with a new number plate like the guy at Miranda do Corvo market does.

Peter
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by peterfc
Hi All

Or you could bring a car over to Portugal and when the time is up go back to the UK and register the car again with a new number plate like the guy at Miranda do Corvo market does.

Peter
You can change plate on a uk car? You mean like a private plate?
Old Sep 19th 2017, 10:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Denise Roets
You might get lucky and get someone who's looking to take on a uk plate over here but I would expecting be selling at a lower price than you would in the uk. That said, it would be certainly less hassle selling here than the expensive journey back and the hassle of selling it in the UK
Old Sep 19th 2017, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
You can change plate on a uk car? You mean like a private plate?
Yes and it's not the first time he has done it to the same van.

Peter
Old Sep 21st 2017, 1:45 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Vehicle Matriculation

Originally Posted by gedscottish
You might get lucky and get someone who's looking to take on a uk plate over here but I would expecting be selling at a lower price than you would in the uk. That said, it would be certainly less hassle selling here than the expensive journey back and the hassle of selling it in the UK
Yes......thanks......I agree would be a lot less hassle......but will have to find ways to advertise it to see if I get a response.......
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

Your best bet would be to advertise in the UK [and everywhere] that a person could come here on their holiday, then drive it back.
I sold mine that way; obviously, I had t take a significant hit on the asking price.

The cost of matriculating a motorhome is at a lower rate than other vehicles, so it could be worth keeping it here if it's precious to you.
Old Sep 22nd 2017, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

Yes, finding someone who wants to drive it back would be excellent. So perhaps I should get busy advertising on that basis. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.