Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Vehicle Documents

Vehicle Documents

Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:37 am
BE Enthusiast

CHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to allCHOPPER is a name known to all
Cool Vehicle Documents

On our recent trip out we saw a lot of cars being pulled over by the Police, what documents must you carry when you are driving and how many different Police services are there in Pt?
Old Feb 25th 2007, 11:59 am

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vehicle Documents

Originally Posted by CHOPPER
On our recent trip out we saw a lot of cars being pulled over by the Police, what documents must you carry when you are driving and how many different Police services are there in Pt?
There are 2 police forces.

You must carry ALL documents relating to the car,and have all your window stickers up to date,ie tax,MOT and Insurance,they must be displayed at all times.
You also need your residency card or Passport,and of course driving licence.
You will be fined 60 euros EACH for any of these that you dont have on you.
And they will want the money there and then.
I was stopped last year and didnt have a hi-vis vest in the car,60 euro fine,I only had 5 euros on me,so had to pay by credit card at the side of the road!!!!!!

My hub was stopped,had no money so was accompanied to the cash point (it was in our local town) to get the cash.
I have heard that if you cant pay there and then they will impound the car,but dont know if this is correct
Also if you are driving a car which is not registered in your name,ie hubs name or whatever,you are supposed to have a signed letter from them,saying they have given you permission to drive it.
Good old Portugal
Old Feb 25th 2007, 2:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clerigogirl
There are 2 police forces.

You must carry ALL documents relating to the car,and have all your window stickers up to date,ie tax,MOT and Insurance,they must be displayed at all times.
You also need your residency card or Passport,and of course driving licence.
You will be fined 60 euros EACH for any of these that you dont have on you.
And they will want the money there and then.
I was stopped last year and didnt have a hi-vis vest in the car,60 euro fine,I only had 5 euros on me,so had to pay by credit card at the side of the road!!!!!!

My hub was stopped,had no money so was accompanied to the cash point (it was in our local town) to get the cash.
I have heard that if you cant pay there and then they will impound the car,but dont know if this is correct
Also if you are driving a car which is not registered in your name,ie hubs name or whatever,you are supposed to have a signed letter from them,saying they have given you permission to drive it.
Good old Portugal
Same in Spain, a jacket for all occupants, spare light bulb pack, two red triangles, ohhh also a pack of surgeons gloves as it is illegal not to help at a crash site if you are able bodied.
Childrens booster seats are also required here, I think they are also pushing dog harnesses.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 11:38 am
ex-squaddie

derbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond reputederbyflan has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey!

That's a lot of docs to be carrying around. I'll be scared of losing my passport. Does the same apply if you're on vacation there?