Vauxhall import

Old Feb 13th 2017, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

hangyandy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vauxhall import

Hi all,

Some advice please.

We have a Vauxhall Movano that we'd like to import. I understand the rules around ownership, etc. but the problem is that the vehicle doesn't have an EU certificate of conformity. Instead it has UK Type Approval (which we have a copy of) and a 'Statement of Compliance' from Opel that details all of the EU regulations that the vehicle complies with (which we also have a copy of).

The Alfandega tells us that we need to have a certificate of conformity in order to get the vehicle registered. We have also been to the ACAP but they have said that they can't help us because the vehicle is a Vauxhall.

So, the question is, has anyone successfully got their Vauxhall registered in Portugal?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Andy R
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vauxhall import

Originally Posted by hangyandy
Hi all,

So, the question is, has anyone successfully got their Vauxhall registered in Portugal?

Yes i have a Vauxhall Zafira and Vauxhall have a department to get a COC from.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 4:42 pm
Just Joined

Hi Peter, in that case it looks like we must get a homologation certificate as it was a very helpful chap at 'Vehicle Registration Systems and Type Approval Coordinator,
General Motors UK & Ireland' that provided the UK Type Approval documents and told us that the Movano has never had an EU CoC.
Old Feb 13th 2017, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

peterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond reputepeterfc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hangyandy
Hi Peter, in that case it looks like we must get a homologation certificate as it was a very helpful chap at 'Vehicle Registration Systems and Type Approval Coordinator,
General Motors UK & Ireland' that provided the UK Type Approval documents and told us that the Movano has never had an EU CoC.
Then go to the Customs and ask them what they will accept, don't listen to tittle tattle from folk who think they know it all.

With the right documents you can import a car in a day.

Peter
Old Feb 14th 2017, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

I'd be inclined to have an agent handle the matriculation process for me & to explain the problem to him & ask him what paperwork he needs to get it done.

My own car pre-dates the CoC & they happily accepted a downloaded copy of the original sales brochure that showed the original tech spec.

What you need to remember is that Portuguese bureaucrats simply love a document they can slap their stamp on....... and it often doesn't matter exactly what that document says or look like just as long as it looks official & they can get their stamp on it.
Old Feb 14th 2017, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

So a COC from an Opel Movano won't do?
Old Feb 14th 2017, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi, we still have a few months to get this sorted but if I don't make any progress soon I'll have to get an agent involved. Both Opel and Vauxhall have provided documents detailing the vehicle's compliance with EU regulations but a CoC is specific to the vehicle (as it details the chassis number) and ours never had one.