Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

Valencia vs. Lisbon

Valencia vs. Lisbon

Old Jan 12th 2005, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

winnsail is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Valencia vs. Lisbon

My husband and I are planning on moving to Valencia in 2006 (hopefully we can get his UK passport sorted out by then). Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on where to look. Hopefully he will be working with the America's Cup so we would need somewhere that is relatively close to Valencia but not directly in the city centre. Ideally we would rent a flat or house for a year while we look at property to buy.

I would also love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly (if any) about Valencia. Also, how different is Valenciano (sp?) to Catalan and to Castilian?

However, if the AC doesn't work out then we thought we would look into relocating to Portugal in and around Lisbon and would like to hear any suggestions. Also if anyone has any impressions about Spain or Portugal as I've been researching the differences in lifestyles, governments, housing, etc. but would like to hear positive or negative impressions, if any.

Gracias/Obrigada

Last edited by winnsail; Jan 12th 2005 at 7:30 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2005, 10:27 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Valencia vs. Lisbon

I lived about 40 mins from Valencia. It's a great city that has had a lot of improvements made to it. The outskirts though are pig ugly and it's not until you're right in the middle of the city that you realise it's actually a nice place.

They are very proud of their language and region. The language can best be described as a mix between French and Spanish and it can be hard to get to grips with. They seem to like to use the letter X a lot as well!

South of the city are the expats haunts of Denia and Javea as well as the Jalon valley. All those places have had a whole raft of Expats arriving and as such there has been a lot of development, which predicably hasn't done anything for the place.

Very good idea to rent before you buy.
Old Feb 2nd 2005, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

AJayUK is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Valencia vs. Lisbon

Originally Posted by winnsail
My husband and I are planning on moving to Valencia in 2006 (hopefully we can get his UK passport sorted out by then). Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on where to look. Hopefully he will be working with the America's Cup so we would need somewhere that is relatively close to Valencia but not directly in the city centre. Ideally we would rent a flat or house for a year while we look at property to buy.

I would also love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly (if any) about Valencia. Also, how different is Valenciano (sp?) to Catalan and to Castilian?

However, if the AC doesn't work out then we thought we would look into relocating to Portugal in and around Lisbon and would like to hear any suggestions. Also if anyone has any impressions about Spain or Portugal as I've been researching the differences in lifestyles, governments, housing, etc. but would like to hear positive or negative impressions, if any.

Gracias/Obrigada

How big a flat are you looking for????
We have a self contained flat in our villa grounds, we live in Monserrat which is about 20mins to Valencia City on the A7 motorway.
We offer short or long term lease..
If you are interested, email me AJayUK at gmail dot com