Reload this Page >

University Student on a research

University Student on a research

Old Apr 25th 2006, 1:16 pm
Just Joined

hxkraft is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking University Student on a research

Hi there.

I'm an University student based on Portugal and at the moment I'm doing a research for an English assignment, which must be delivered on May. This will only be printed by the University Printer, so no money will be earned.

My work must focus on british social status in the host countries and the following themes should be highlighted: has your salary increased, lost any rights, your social status increased or decreased. if someone could give me a hand or some feedback, it would be most appreciated.

email: [email protected]

thanks in advance

Claudia
Old May 5th 2006, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: University Student on a research

Sorry to correct you here, but since you are doing an English course.... "you are a University student" not "an University student" and its "in May" not "on May" "based in Portugal" not "on Portugal".
But I would not worry, im a native English speaker and I make many mistakes, but since you are doing a course I thought I should point those mistakes out as they are common mistakes by non-native English speakers which are often taught wrong by their teachers!
Me.....my salary has decreased a lot since moving to Portugal, but I do not care as I love it here!!
Hope you took no offence to me correcting you,Ged
Old May 17th 2006, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

eheh typos. I don't know why thell hell I wrote on instead of in, but tks for the red alert. But now, I'm curious. If we must add a -n if the next word starts with a vowel, why isn't it used in "university"? just curious

and no offence taken!

and tks for the short insight, quite useful!

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Sorry to correct you here, but since you are doing an English course.... "you are a University student" not "an University student" and its "in May" not "on May" "based in Portugal" not "on Portugal".
But I would not worry, im a native English speaker and I make many mistakes, but since you are doing a course I thought I should point those mistakes out as they are common mistakes by non-native English speakers which are often taught wrong by their teachers!
Me.....my salary has decreased a lot since moving to Portugal, but I do not care as I love it here!!
Hope you took no offence to me correcting you,Ged
Old May 18th 2006, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Hi!
The reason why we say "a university student" (and "a European", to give u another example) has to do with the phonetic transcription of the word "university" (and "European"), that is, the way u represent sounds in written. If u check at an English/English dictionary, you will notice that they present u the way we read the words. And the representation of "u" from the word "university" and "E" from European are, in fact, "consonant" sounds...
I hope I've been of some help.

eheh typos. I don't know why thell hell I wrote on instead of in, but tks for the red alert. But now, I'm curious. If we must add a -n if the next word starts with a vowel, why isn't it used in "university"? just curious

and no offence taken!

and tks for the short insight, quite useful![/QUOTE]