Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

UK Pound v's Euro

UK Pound v's Euro

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:09 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Pound v's Euro

Originally Posted by Philforeuro
Even if I make myself some enemies with my first contribution here...

I would be in favour of the UK joining the euro zone. I mean, now the whole of British exports but also imports are affected by this exchange-rate dilemma. And I say it is a dilemma!

Because I fear the day the GBP goes under. And mind you the UK also imports from euro countries.

Within those countries, there is no currency disturbance... A Dutchman can buy his things in Germany or Belgium and will not note a difference.

No, that was Blair's biggest and most expensive mistake...

I tell you what: The Government has something to hide. That's why they keep the euro question under the rug....

There is more evil to come!!
Is it the gov. or their friends the bankers, making all that exchange money that don`t want the change to €`s.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:09 am
Just Joined

Philforeuro is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes exactly... And they want you / us to believe that the euro is bad ...

See the joy in Slovakia that they got the euro?

If it is so bad, why do countries like Malta and Cyprus join the zone...

So it cannot be that bad. And do you hear anything sad from the new euro countries?? I have not heard anything lamenting there, and I have friends in Cyprus.

Come on... Having the euro has not stopped the Belgian people from being Belgians or the Portuguese people from being Protugueses....
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

masterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to allmasterbaits is a name known to all

I remember at the summer reading an article about the euro in portugal being disliked.

Heres the thing about the recent addition to the euro , it should water down the value of the euro slightly as there is more heads in the joined money system....and what was that countries economic state before it?

Those that joined the euro in the last couple of years are very happy is that its better than the state of their own economy prior to it.

The pound will rebound , the euro will weaken again.Time though is the problem for those on fixed incomes related to the gbp.

For those with short memories this has happened before , and will happen again.The eurozone havent hit the wall yet , parts will suffer harder than others , ie spain and portugal developments looking now like bad debt on the horizon.

Last year it was the perfect storm in financial terms , too many once in a lifetime problems at the same time ....stemming from bad credit , oil price , and footise lead ballooning.

We we will be royally donald ducked if it happens again this year...watch those oil prices.China is clever enough to be stockpiling for the future.Uk though well it has brown and darling on the white horse to save the world.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

I do not have a short memory. There have always been voices disliking the euro, also in Germany etc. BUT ... these voices have been proven 100% wrong.

Well... even if I am pro-euro... That will not influence my hope that British economy recovers. The pound will only recover if the British companies recover. And I say British, no American investors pulling out British money.

But get over the euro-phobia. Don't trust any articles by some "experts". These "experts" should get lost! They also talked many into the mortgage bubble...

Last edited by Philforeuro; Jan 2nd 2009 at 12:36 pm.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

I do not have a short memory. There have always been voices disliking the euro, also in Germany etc. BUT ... these voices have been proven 100% wrong.

Well... even if I am pro-euro... That will not influence my hope that British economy recovers. The pound will only recover if the British companies recover. And I say British, no American investors pulling out British money.

But get over the euro-phobia. Don't trust any articles by some "experts". These "experts" should get lost! They also talked many into the mortgage bubble...
Put ten experts in a room and you will get ten different answers. This especially applies to soothsayers and economists.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joao
I think my prediction (about 6 months ago) that for the end of this year (2008) 1 UK pound would equal 1 euro 20 cents might not be so far out.
Little did you know.

Little did we all know.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:09 am
mshlgw

mshlgw is on a distinguished road

Closed at 1.0451 yesterday. BOE expected to cut interest rates next week so expect the pound to maybe reach parity or less.:curse:
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Joao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud ofJoao has much to be proud of

I agree, as soon as the interest rates are cut the pound will drop.
Joao
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mshlgw
Closed at 1.0451 yesterday. BOE expected to cut interest rates next week so expect the pound to maybe reach parity or less.:curse:
That's what I said... And less...
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

PubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud ofPubChampion has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Joao
as soon as the interest rates are cut the pound will drop.
Joao
Only if they were cut by more than expected. If it's as expected or less, it should strengthen.

The expected amount of reduction is already priced in the current exchange rate.

The pound should weaken a bit just before the decision is announced (Thrursday morning). That's because the markets don't like uncertainty.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

encodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant futureencodeme has a brilliant future

I still think interest rate cut or not , the pound will start climbing back up against the euro during February. There is so much bad news still to come out of Euroland...especially Germany..who along with France are the Euroland.There is no place for the Euro to hide...The UK has most of its dirty washing on show... the others have not.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

You don't seem to get it.
It is this speculation which damages the pound. And with regard to bad news: the bad news is NOW. Not February. And it does not affect the GBP / EUR relation.

You THINK everything on this issue is on the table in the UK. But is it really? What if they persist lying to us and it is not? What if all the sticking to our beloved pound is a big lie??

Yes I loved the pound too. I did. But hey let us face reality. The UK is not as powerful anymore. It is time for a change. not 19th Century Politics is asked for but there has to be an answer for tomorrows generation. And the euro is the solution. Not for sober politics in the UK, but economically yes. It will bring stability back to the UK. And the government can finally tackle all the other problems there are in the UK. We all know there are a lot, and with regard to them, currency is the lesser.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

You don't seem to get it.
It is this speculation which damages the pound. And with regard to bad news: the bad news is NOW. Not February. And it does not affect the GBP / EUR relation.

You THINK everything on this issue is on the table in the UK. But is it really? What if they persist lying to us and it is not? What if all the sticking to our beloved pound is a big lie??

Yes I loved the pound too. I did. But hey let us face reality. The UK is not as powerful anymore. It is time for a change. not 19th Century Politics is asked for but there has to be an answer for tomorrows generation. And the euro is the solution. Not for sober politics in the UK, but economically yes. It will bring stability back to the UK. And the government can finally tackle all the other problems there are in the UK. We all know there are a lot, and with regard to them, currency is the lesser.
I'm sorry you take it so seriously....Have you ever lived in the other countries...Germany, Austria, Belgium, Holland and got their views?
Maybe a chat with Ireland about overheating and Germany about overcooling...now that might interest you
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

Well taking things seriously is the only way to tackle things.

I have lived in Germany, The Netherlands and currently I am in Estonia.

So I know about criticisms and scepticisms.
And I have been using the single European currency on a daily basis. My business requires that i have reliablity. And sorry the pound is not that reliable any more. Too many maybes etc. And public opinion is one thing. The reality now is another.I know many said that the euro made goods more expensive and such things. And now? The euro is the only rock in the finacial market.
Old Jan 4th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Well taking things seriously is the only way to tackle things.

I have lived in Germany, The Netherlands and currently I am in Estonia.

So I know about criticisms and scepticisms.
And I have been using the single European currency on a daily basis. My business requires that i have reliablity. And sorry the pound is not that reliable any more. Too many maybes etc. And public opinion is one thing. The reality now is another.I know many said that the euro made goods more expensive and such things. And now? The euro is the only rock in the finacial market.
Good point, even so, the Euro is going to tank. Come back in 6 months and tell me if I am wrong. The "Son of Manse" has screwed it all up for the UK but it will come back. Not to mention Rumania, Bulgaria, Slovakia, etc and the rest of the third World who are a drain on the euro economy.

Last edited by johnh009; Jan 4th 2009 at 6:04 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.