Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

UK - Portuguese Dual Citizenship

UK - Portuguese Dual Citizenship

Old Jun 19th 2017, 10:34 am
Forum Regular

SilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really nice
Default Re: UK - Portuguese Dual Citizenship

Originally Posted by Bucbar
I have a Permanent Residency card and have read somewhere that I could now actually apply for citizenship in Portugal whilst still retaining my UK passport otherwise known as dual citizenship. My question is relating to any requirement to take a language test as I believe that there is a loophole for UK-EU citizens which means that that you do not need to speak the language and/or take a test and can still obtain Portuguese citizenship.
Can someone give me the lawful answer please to stop me wasting more breath at the local Conservatory!
The only exception to the language requirement is that if you can prove that you are a descendant of Sephardic Jews expelled from Portugal in the fifteenth.
Old Jun 19th 2017, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

SilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really niceSilviaAlgarve is just really nice

Originally Posted by SilviaAlgarve
The only exception to the language requirement is that if you can prove that you are a descendant of Sephardic Jews expelled from Portugal in the fifteenth.
Century*
Old Jun 20th 2017, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

Default UK - Portuguese Dual Citizenship

www.sephardicjewsportugal.com/info/
Old Jun 20th 2017, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

gedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to beholdgedscottish is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AliceCaroline
"In the case of two Brits married for longer than three years, only one partner needs to apply and do the language test as the other can apply without the language test as soon as the former has acquired citizenship"

This is a good link....

Become a Portuguese citizen AND keep your British passport
Good information there, I'm quite relieved with the example language test, I thought it may have a lot of writing to do, I normally correct any mistakes with WORD, I would be very confident of passing that though!
Old Jun 21st 2017, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bucbar
I have a Permanent Residency card and have read somewhere that I could now actually apply for citizenship in Portugal whilst still retaining my UK passport otherwise known as dual citizenship. My question is relating to any requirement to take a language test as I believe that there is a loophole for UK-EU citizens which means that that you do not need to speak the language and/or take a test and can still obtain Portuguese citizenship.
Can someone give me the lawful answer please to stop me wasting more breath at the local Conservatory!
The lawful answer is to ask the Missus to do it.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

AliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond reputeAliceCaroline has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedscottish
Good information there, I'm quite relieved with the example language test, I thought it may have a lot of writing to do, I normally correct any mistakes with WORD, I would be very confident of passing that though!
I thought that you had a Portuguese wife Gedscottish, or did I get that wrong?

I don't think you need to take the test if you are married to someone who is already a citizen.
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Diddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond reputeDiddion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK - Portuguese Dual Citizenship - what are the benefis?

I've read this thread with interest. The article linked to in post no. 2 seems to equate nationality with citizenship, which is not my understanding. However, my question relates to the benefits of citizenship - what are they? We intend relocating to Portugal next year and (as raised in another thread: Future Expats) await to hear of our position regarding healthcare. Once sufficient time has passed, language ability and other criteria satisfied, we would expect to become eligible for citizenship. Other than being able to obtain a Portuguese passport and (presumably) which might be some help at EU borders, what other features would Accrue from citizenship? I imagine it would be too much to hope that we would enter the Portuguese healthcare system?
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Mac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond reputeMac and Mabel has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a tad concerned to read that, following Brexit, we will be required to pass the language test when applying for permanent residency (the same as non-EU citizens currently). We have been temporary residents in PT since April 2016. Does anyone know if we must wait 5 years before applying for permanent residency, or can we apply sooner? If not, does anyone know if the non-EU citizens' language test for permanent residency can be taken by just one person of a married couple? I hope so!
Old Jul 3rd 2017, 1:48 pm
Polished expat

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where that's coming from about the language test for permenent residency. Not something I've come across and as nothing at all is settled yet, I'd be inclined to disregard it if I did. It sounds at the moment as though a special status is what's being angled at under which UK citizens arrived anywhere else in the EU prior to Brexit should have the same treatment as previously going on into the future.

No, you can't apply for a permenent resident certificate until the 5 year initial registration expires.
Old Jul 4th 2017, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

liveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond reputeliveaboard has a reputation beyond repute

I am not an EU national, and I was not required to pass a language [or any other] exam for my 10 year, renewable, residency card.

I have Portuguese public health, even though I have no work or business in Portugal and have never paid into the social welfare system. I am not a Portuguese national, and have made no applications to become one.

I assume that post brexit UK citizens will be in a similar position, but time will tell.

It may become more difficult to gain residency, but keeping it will be the same as it is for the rest of us non-EU immigrants. Not very difficult.

Remember that return to the UK is not closed after Brexit, that option remains open to UK citizens.
So get your EU residence while you can.