Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Portugal
Reload this Page >

a uk euro bank account

a uk euro bank account

Old Nov 30th 2015, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

w roberts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default a uk euro bank account

Finally and reluctantly opened a PT bank accout with Millenium. The deal to get "free" banking requires me to pay in E2500 every 3 months. I can do this but ideally would like to have a Euro account that I can pay stirling into and then transfer, in euros, into my new to PT Millenium account.
I KNOW that Uk banks will try stupid fees and charges as well as poor exchange rates.

Anyone have any ideas?
my thanks
Old Nov 30th 2015, 4:52 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: a uk euro bank account

I don't know about transfers, but Metro Bank provide a debit card that is not loaded for Euro transactions.......
Old Nov 30th 2015, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond reputeouriquejan has a reputation beyond repute

We've banked with Millennium for over 10 years and don't have to keep that amount in the account. We do, however, pay a small fee each month, 5€ a month, I think.

But very helpful staff, so more than happy with them.

And they've been more than helpful, about the house sale, transferring of monies etc.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

mfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond reputemfesharne has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuzetajan
We've banked with Millennium for over 10 years and don't have to keep that amount in the account. We do, however, pay a small fee each month, 5€ a month, I think.

But very helpful staff, so more than happy with them.

And they've been more than helpful, about the house sale, transferring of monies etc.
Four years for us but similar charges & service levels.

Oh & we bank our UKP income into offshore (IoM & Jersey) UKP accounts & bring in what we need when we need it. (In Euros)

Last edited by mfesharne; Nov 30th 2015 at 5:19 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Dal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the roughDal Dy Dir is a jewel in the rough

Alternatively if you stick 5k in a savings account with them the monthly charges on your current account are dropped.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

RichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond reputeRichardHenshall has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by w roberts
... Anyone have any ideas? ...
A Euro denominated account in the UK will probably cost more to operate than your PT account and will probably still involve hefty transfer charges from the UK into the Eurozone.

Why not use the likes of TransferWise or CurrencyFair (depending on the amount involved) to exchange and transfer from your UK to your Euro account as required?
Old Dec 1st 2015, 8:15 am
Just Joined

I've said it before, but the speed and usefulness of responses to requests for advice here are quite remarkable....... my thanks to all. With ref to one response and the amount of cash needed in the account account for "free" banking...... Yes I could keep E5k in savings acc....but the 3 monthly E2.5 is not required as an average balance...... in other words I can put it in on a Monday and take it out the next day.The account is called Portugul Mais....and the first 3 months are free.....but I think this offer ends at end DEC 2015. Also included is some kind of medical cover for non resident Brits.

my thanks once more
Old Dec 1st 2015, 10:04 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

I've said it before, but the speed and usefulness of responses to requests for advice here are quite remarkable....... my thanks to all. With ref to one response and the amount of cash needed in the account account for "free" banking...... Yes I could keep E5k in savings acc....but the 3 monthly E2.5 is not required as an average balance...... in other words I can put it in on a Monday and take it out the next day.The account is called Portugul Mais....and the first 3 months are free.....but I think this offer ends at end DEC 2015. Also included is some kind of medical cover for non resident Brits.

my thanks once more
Am I being thick? The "Solução Mais Portugal" says the first three months are free, but thereafter you'll pay 8 Euros plus stamp duty a month, with a 50% discount if you increase the balance of your Poupança Mais Portugal. So how do you see it as "free" banking?
Old Dec 1st 2015, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Hi Macliam, that is NOT what they told me...... they were VERY clear that if I keep the 3 monthly E2.5K transfer on track then I would pay NOWT, NADA, ZERO.
If this is NOT the case it will be the shortest lived account on record....... I really do hope you are wrong......but my built in hatred of ALL banks is bubbling up....... NOTHING would surprise me in the way Banks behave.
I'll get back to you as soon as I have checked......

my best
Old Dec 1st 2015, 11:49 am
Resident Cynic

Hi Macliam, that is NOT what they told me...... they were VERY clear that if I keep the 3 monthly E2.5K transfer on track then I would pay NOWT, NADA, ZERO.
If this is NOT the case it will be the shortest lived account on record....... I really do hope you are wrong......but my built in hatred of ALL banks is bubbling up....... NOTHING would surprise me in the way Banks behave.
I'll get back to you as soon as I have checked......

my best
That may be true, but I'm quoting from their website....... you might want to make sure there are no exit fees.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 3:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

BillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond reputeBillBullock has a reputation beyond repute

Finally and reluctantly opened a PT bank accout with Millenium. The deal to get "free" banking requires me to pay in E2500 every 3 months. I can do this but ideally would like to have a Euro account that I can pay stirling into and then transfer, in euros, into my new to PT Millenium account.
I KNOW that Uk banks will try stupid fees and charges as well as poor exchange rates.

Anyone have any ideas?
my thanks
I recommend you speak to Peter Rexstrew at Premier FX in Almancil. I use this company to transfer Sterling from my UK bank to my Portuguese bank account. He gives me really good rates of exchange. Last week I got 1.42 Euros to the Pound. You can keep money in the client account (Barclays Bank), either in Sterling or in Euros, and get 3.5% interest after tax. When you need it in your Portuguese account, you just email Peter and he makes the transfer. I've been doing this for ages and am very happy.
Old Dec 4th 2015, 1:40 am
Just Joined

Thumbs down Re: a uk euro bank account

Originally Posted by macliam
That may be true, but I'm quoting from their website....... you might want to make sure there are no exit fees.
Hi Macliam....with a heavy heart and a very angry head I must tell you that you were quite right. I went back to MillM in Tavira to speak with the oddly named but lovely Brenda. She insisted that despite what MillM website said about approx E8 ish per month charge.....this applied only to the standard Mais Portugal account....but as long as I paid in the E2.5k each trimester there would be no charges . She was once again VERY clear on this but offered to double check with HQ ( Lisbon ?). Surprise surprise.....she then told me after her call, with the same beaming smile, that it was her mistake and that all that had gone before was total cobblers.......
She said these offers were constantly changing but why not use the acct for the first free 3 months.....which I am forced to do as in a few days I am going to the notary for a property purchase.
I have asked her by email about exit fees, if any.
Remember that old saying about if it seems to good to be true etc etc.
Bloody Banks!!!!!
Old Dec 4th 2015, 9:04 am
Resident Cynic

Hi Macliam....with a heavy heart and a very angry head I must tell you that you were quite right. I went back to MillM in Tavira to speak with the oddly named but lovely Brenda. She insisted that despite what MillM website said about approx E8 ish per month charge.....this applied only to the standard Mais Portugal account....but as long as I paid in the E2.5k each trimester there would be no charges . She was once again VERY clear on this but offered to double check with HQ ( Lisbon ?). Surprise surprise.....she then told me after her call, with the same beaming smile, that it was her mistake and that all that had gone before was total cobblers.......
She said these offers were constantly changing but why not use the acct for the first free 3 months.....which I am forced to do as in a few days I am going to the notary for a property purchase.
I have asked her by email about exit fees, if any.
Remember that old saying about if it seems to good to be true etc etc.
Bloody Banks!!!!!
Sorry to have been the one to burst the bubble, but better now than later.
For what it's worth, I had a look around but found things as complex as you seem to have found them - I stick with my standard no-frills Caixa Geral account - and although the annual fee has just jumped from 13 to 16 Euros, that's still a lot cheaper than the "pay monthly" alternatives.
I've also found their transfer arrangements fairly honest too - transfer funds from your UK account to their UK holding account and it gets transferred to your CxG account at interbank rate with no fees.
.... but still happy to look at alternatives ..... no fee and/or a few frills would be nice!
Old Dec 4th 2015, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BillBullock
I recommend you speak to Peter Rexstrew at Premier FX in Almancil. I use this company to transfer Sterling from my UK bank to my Portuguese bank account. He gives me really good rates of exchange. Last week I got 1.42 Euros to the Pound. You can keep money in the client account (Barclays Bank), either in Sterling or in Euros, and get 3.5% interest after tax. When you need it in your Portuguese account, you just email Peter and he makes the transfer. I've been doing this for ages and am very happy.
Hi. Do you have any contact details for Peter Rexstrew?
Old Dec 4th 2015, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

nogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond reputenogard has a reputation beyond repute

Hi. Are you a pensioner? My understanding is that, all pensioners are entitled to 'free banking!' I bank with, Montepio; a mutual, like a Brit. building society. I am a pensioner and transfer one small pension, on a monthly basis and receive free banking! One receives a pass book that one can use to draw money, only at Montepio hole in the walls. One pays for both a credit and debit card; i continue to use my UK credit card and do without a debit card. One can also receive free banking; at Montepio should one be willing to open a savings acc. One need only save 5€ a month, for ten years, albeit, with an option to close the acc. at five years, with no penalties!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.